[news.groups] Yet another proposal.

sommar@enea.se (Erland Sommarskog) (10/09/89)

Peter Da Silva wrote:
>Geoff Allen (geoff@pmafire.UUCP) writes:
>> 	Group sci.skinny.dipping is voted on.  The result is 500 yes and
>> 	150 no.  A second vote is held on rec.swimming.nude (a name
>> 	chosen by the czar).  The result this time (thanks to the
>> 	publicity from the controversy) is 675 yes and 101 no.  People
>> 	obviously want the group, and poeple like rec.swimming.nude
>> 	better than sci.skinny.dipping.  Do we create the group or not?
>
>I don't want to say this can't happen, but I think it unlikely. In any
>case, 101 NO votes is still a lot. I suspect that the group name was
>still controversial.

I think you miss one point, Peter. Why was the second name
controversial? Maybe a lot of original YES voters got pissed
on that the name they wanted was refused and therefore voted
NO in the second vote? Actually if you really want the name
sci.skinny.dipping - and the net seem to host that sort of people -
your obvious tactics is to vote NO the second time.
  This said, you folks maybe realize that Geoff's example isn't
that hypophetical.
--
Erland Sommarskog - ENEA Data, Stockholm - sommar@enea.se
"My baby's a 26. On a scale from one to ten, my baby's a 26." - Chic

oleg@gryphon.COM (Oleg Kiselev) (10/10/89)

In article <D03@pmafire.UUCP> geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) writes:
>>The name czar should be someone like Greg Woods, Spaf, or Chuq.
>This may be a good compromise.

There is one teensy problem here, kids.  USENET is not a George Bush's
administration and a large number of people may decide that having a "name
czar" is a violation of their sovereign rights and RMGROUP things that are
passed by the "czar's" decree.

No, I am not volunteering either me or Sexton for the post, either.  It's a
dumb idea.
--
			"No regrets, no apologies"   Ronald Reagan

Oleg Kiselev            ARPA: lcc.oleg@seas.ucla.edu, oleg@gryphon.COM
(213)337-5230           UUCP: [world]!{ucla-se|gryphon}!lcc!oleg

gsmith@garnet.berkeley.edu (Gene W. Smith) (10/10/89)

In article <20801@gryphon.COM>, oleg@gryphon (Oleg Kiselev) writes:

>There is one teensy problem here, kids.  USENET is not a George Bush's
>administration and a large number of people may decide that having a "name
>czar" is a violation of their sovereign rights and RMGROUP things that are
>passed by the "czar's" decree.

  Yes, but if the net.name.idiots like you keep up the good work,
a large number of people may decide that all your comp.fish
groups are a violation of their sanity, and rmgroup the things
which are passed by majority vote (the method, you will recall,
which gave us George Herbert Weenie Bush).
--
ucbvax!garnet!gsmith     Gene Ward Smith/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720
 This posting was made possible by a grant from the Mobil Corporation