[news.groups] Call for Discussion - Sci.Aquaria

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) (10/09/89)

In article <17105@rpp386.cactus.org> jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:
>Clearly -anything- but a sci.* newsgroup.

Fish keeping is not a trivial hobby, like dog keeping.  To own a dog
you buy cans of stuff that smells like shit and scoop it out with a
big spoon into a big bowl and then call FIDO.  This is how one owns a
dog.

You practically need a BS in organic chemistry just to own any fish
more complex than guppies or neon tetras.  rec.* may be a wonderful
place to read about drowning a few snails, but for anyone keeping
sea cucumbers, pears, apples, oranges [ and the rest of the marine
fruit bowl ;-) ], I think sci is the place to.

Too much nitrogen in the water.  Quick.  Are you going to ask a bunch
of Dr. Who fans over in rec, or would you rather go grab yourself an
organic chemist?

Tell me how many other rec groups have the potential to kill an
entire tank full of expensive marine ickys with one stupid posting.
THAT is the reason the group should be sci.aquaria.  You aren't
going to kill FIDO with the wrong brand of flea collar, but you damn
well can kill off an entire fruit bowl full of slimey things if you
grab the wrong bottle of food color.

Is the green stuff for ick or is it the blue stuff?

>>  Eat fish and die!

I had fish just this weekend.  I'm still quite alive.
--
John F. Haugh II                        +-Things you didn't want to know:------
VoiceNet: (512) 832-8832   Data: -8835  | The real meaning of MACH is ...

rang@cs.wisc.edu (Anton Rang) (10/09/89)

In article <17110@rpp386.cactus.org> jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:
>Tell me how many other rec groups have the potential to kill an
>entire tank full of expensive marine ickys with one stupid posting.
>THAT is the reason the group should be sci.aquaria.

  The name isn't going to make any difference once somebody finds the
group.  This might be an argument for moderation, but I don't see that
it's a good argument for the name....

+----------------------------------+------------------+
| Anton Rang (grad student)        | rang@cs.wisc.edu |
| University of Wisconsin--Madison |                  |
+----------------------------------+------------------+

In article <17110@rpp386.cactus.org> jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:
>Too much nitrogen in the water.  Quick.  Are you going to ask a bunch
>of Dr. Who fans over in rec, or would you rather go grab yourself an
>organic chemist?

"REC" is not a place. It is a category, a keyword. It means "these
messages are about my hobbies".

Do you realise you can kill yourself and your family by following bad
advice in rec.autos? Obviously that should be "moved to" sci. That will
keep people from posting inappropriate messages. Look how well it worked
for sci.skeptic.
--
Peter da Silva, *NIX support guy @ Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
Biz: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. Fun: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com. `-_-'

gsh7w@astsun9.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg S. Hennessy) (10/09/89)

In article <17110@rpp386.cactus.org> jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:
# You aren't
#going to kill FIDO with the wrong brand of flea collar,

You can kill a dog with the wrong kind of flea collar, so perhaps this
is a reason for sci.canines?

-Greg Hennessy, University of Virginia
 USPS Mail:     Astronomy Department, Charlottesville, VA 22903-2475 USA
 Internet:      gsh7w@virginia.edu
 UUCP:		...!uunet!virginia!gsh7w

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (10/10/89)

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:
> Tell me how many other rec groups have the potential to kill an
> entire tank full of expensive marine ickys with one stupid posting.
> THAT is the reason the group should be sci.aquaria.

One stupid posting about emergency braking procedures in rec.autos has the
potential to kill an entire car full of (expensive?) _people_.  That's no
justification for a sci group.

                                        \tom haapanen
"now, you didn't really expect          tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu
 my views to have anything to do        watmims research group
 with my employer's, did you?"          university of waterloo

"I don't even know what street Canada is on"  -- Al Capone

" Maynard) (10/10/89)

In article <6472@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <17110@rpp386.cactus.org> jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:
>>Too much nitrogen in the water.  Quick.  Are you going to ask a bunch
>>of Dr. Who fans over in rec, or would you rather go grab yourself an
>>organic chemist?
>Do you realise you can kill yourself and your family by following bad
>advice in rec.autos?

It's even easier to kill yourself by following bad advice in
rec.aviation; fortunately, the advice there is much better than that in
rec.autos, or even rec.autos.tech.

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL   | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jay@splut.conmicro.com       (eieio)| adequately be explained by stupidity.

alan@servax0.essex.ac.uk (Stanier A) (10/10/89)

In article <17110@rpp386.cactus.org> jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:
?Tell me how many other rec groups have the potential to kill an
?entire tank full of expensive marine ickys with one stupid posting.
?THAT is the reason the group should be sci.aquaria.

You mean, if I were to post "Fish do very well in concentrated hydrochloric
acid" in rec.aquaria, then the expensive fish you have imprisoned would die,
but if I were to post it in sci.aquaria then they would survive?

Naming is more important than I realised.

--
Alan  M  Stanier	*   University of Essex, Colchester CO4 3SQ, England
email alan@essex.ac.uk	|

ray@philmtl.philips.ca (Ray Dunn) (10/11/89)

In article <17110@rpp386.cactus.org> jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:
 >Tell me how many other rec groups have the potential to kill an
 >entire tank full of expensive marine ickys with one stupid posting.
 >THAT is the reason the group should be sci.aquaria.

Ahh, I see it all now, you would at least have the solace that it was a sci
group posting that killed off your bowl of minnows, and not some stupid rec
group nonsense.  Makes sense, makes sense.

I wonder what my fellow hobby model fliers will have to console them when
they crash their $900 helicopters through the windshields of their expensive
transportation 'cos of some fool advice in rec.models.rc.  Start clamouring
for sci.aeronautics.rc I suppose.  Bound to make the advice better!  Makes
sense, makes sense.
--
Ray Dunn.                    | UUCP: ray@philmt.philips.ca
Philips Electronics Ltd.     |       ..!{uunet|philapd|philabs}!philmtl!ray

frank@rsoft.bc.ca (Frank I. Reiter) (10/11/89)

In article <17110@rpp386.cactus.org> jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:
>Too much nitrogen in the water.  Quick.  Are you going to ask a bunch
>of Dr. Who fans over in rec, or would you rather go grab yourself an
>organic chemist?

I doubt I'd ask either.  Rather I would post a query in X.aquaria
which is where I'd likely find my fellow aquarium keepers hanging out.

>Tell me how many other rec groups have the potential to kill an
>entire tank full of expensive marine ickys with one stupid posting.
>THAT is the reason the group should be sci.aquaria.  You aren't
>going to kill FIDO with the wrong brand of flea collar, but you damn
>well can kill off an entire fruit bowl full of slimey things if you
>grab the wrong bottle of food color.

I could counter this with a rec.skydiving scenario but I think that
this is really a non-issue.  Usenet is not a physical structure where
locating the X.aquaria group too far away from the sci.* buildings makes
it too inconvenient for the sci folks to drop in.  Putting X.aquaria next
to rec.gambling.and.drinking.and.carousing isn't going to scare away the
respectable folks.

Group names are chosen to be easily found by human readers.  I, and it
seems many others, would look first in rec when trying to find a group
dealing with aquaria.
Frank I. Reiter              UUCP:  {uunet,ubc-cs}!van-bc!rsoft!frank
Reiter Software Inc.                frank@rsoft.bc.ca,  a2@mindlink.UUCP
Langley, British Columbia     BBS:  Mind Link @ (604)533-2312, login as Guest