[news.groups] seeking advice on tank type

patterso@deimos.ADS.COM (Tim J. Patterson) (10/09/89)

 I am considering setting up a larger tank  (> 100 gal) and have
received conflicting advise.  My brother swears that glass is the only
way to go, that plexiglass has problems (although scratching is the
only one I remember.) The local shops all have horror stories about
all the glass tanks they have had which broke.  As I am located in CA
I am conjecturing that the local earthquakes could have had something
to do with this.  Is there any consensus as to which type of tank
would better survive an earthquake?  What is the general run of
opinions on the choice?  (If people will e-mail to me, I will
summarize and pose.)

	Tim

wbt@cbnews.ATT.COM (William B. Thacker) (10/10/89)

In article <9436@zodiac.ADS.COM> patterso@ads.com (Tim J. Patterson) writes:

> I am considering setting up a larger tank  (> 100 gal) and have
>received conflicting advise.  My brother swears that glass is the only
>way to go, that plexiglass has problems (although scratching is the
>only one I remember.) The local shops all have horror stories about
>all the glass tanks they have had which broke.

Absolutely, avoid tanks made of glass *or* plastic.  The only suitable
material for tank construction is a good-quality nickel-chrome armor
steel, unless you really want to splurge for Chobham construction.
Remember, people who live in glass tanks shouldn't throw projectiles...

>As I am located in CA
>I am conjecturing that the local earthquakes could have had something
>to do with this.  Is there any consensus as to which type of tank
>would better survive an earthquake?

Well, most any decent, modern tank will survive an earthquake without
significant damage, unless it actually falls into a crevass.  It's
helicopters you have to watch out for.

If I were in your shoes, I'd consider one of the new LAV's.  If you
want something a little bigger, the Israeli-built Merkava is a really
sweet tank, with good design and solid construction.  Avoid the
Russian tanks, they're much too small.  If money's no object,  it's
really hard to beat the M1; plus, you're buying American.

- - - - - - - - valuable coupon - - - - - - - clip and save - - - - - - - -
Bill Thacker						wbt@cbnews.att.com
		   Moderator, sci.military

alien@cpoint.UUCP (Alien Wells) (10/11/89)

This thread managed to get cross-posted to news.groups.  As a result, you
are getting a level of flaming that you would never have seen in alt.aquaria.
You seem to be a new poster, please don't consider your replies to be
representative of alt.aquaria.
--
--------|	Sometimes I feel like a ball
Alien   |		in the great pinball game of life.