[news.groups] Yet another Yet another proposal.

Here's a better idea.  When an idea for a new group comes up, we should
have a vote on who gets to propose it.  After that is decided, we can vote
on who gets to pick the names.  Then we'll get a list of names, and
use 'New Zealand' voting rules.  Under NZ rules, (OK!) each person gets 8
votes.  They use 2-4 votes on the name they like most, 1-4 votes on the
2nd best name and so on.  In addition, you get 8 negative votes for names
you don't like.  In the end, the vote totals are multipied by rand() and
the one closest to e^sqrt(pi) is the winner.

Once a name has been decided, we vote on whether we want the group or not.
At the end, we vote on whether there should be a 5 day cooling-period after
the vote, and if so, the duration of the period, if not to be five, is
decided by New Zealand rules.  If the group champion wishes to go to the
bathroom, he or she must conduct a vote lasting 14 to 30 days to decide if it
is to be #1 or #2.

Finally, if it is decided that the group is to be created, and the group
champion has not yet exploded, the group champion can send a request for
a newgroup to wouldnot@ncar.ucar.edu.  If the people on that list like the
group, they will create it.  If they do, each admin can then decide, as they
wish, whether to carry and/or forward the group on their own machine.  But
otherwise the vote is binding.  (Unless a vote declares it to be non-binding)

karen@everexn.uucp (Karen Valentino) (10/12/89)

brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:

>Here's a better idea.  When an idea for a new group comes up, we should
>have a vote on who gets to propose it.  After that is decided, we can vote
>on who gets to pick the names.  Then we'll get a list of names, and
>use 'New Zealand' voting rules.  [Lots of other unique proposals deleted.]

Brad's article *does* highlight how complicated things could get; it
does seem that the potential exists for the news network to become a
bureaucracy that will make the Pentagon look like baby stuff. :-)

I don't have anything useful to contribute; reading Brad's article has
made my head spin and I have to sit down for a while.

Karen

--
Karen Valentino  <>  Everex North (Everex Systems)  <>  Sebastopol, CA
            ...pacbell!{mslbrb, well!fico2}!everexn!karen