[news.groups] Let's split this group

rusty@garnet.berkeley.edu (10/12/89)

I agree.  rec.games.video has too much pinball garbage in it.  This
newsgroup was created to discuss video games, not pinball games.

We need a new group rec.games.pinhead.  Oops, I meant to say (or did
I?) rec.games.pinball.
--

--------------------------------------
	rusty c. wright

bee@cs.purdue.EDU (Zaphod Beeblebrox) (10/12/89)

Said rusty@garnet.berkeley.edu:
(in article <RUSTY.89Oct11165602@garnet.berkeley.edu>)
|I agree.  rec.games.video has too much pinball garbage in it.  This
|newsgroup was created to discuss video games, not pinball games.

Ha!  There's been more of those damn Zelda postings in the last 3
months than there's been pinball traffic in the last 3 years.  Video
games are much more closely related to pinball than to home systems.
Besides, postings for home systems should be in rec.games.misc anyway.
(Stuff about NES, etc. DOES show up in there occasionally.)
rec.games.misc needs splitting as it is, but I've tried that before
and ran into a large wall of indifference.  (Of course, last time that
was tried, someone threw in with it the absolutely brain-dead idea of
combining the various groups rec.games.hack, rec.games.rogue,
rec.games.moria etc. in with it, which only resulted in flames from
those folks.)
                                          B.E.E.
--
  Z. Beeblebrox   |  "Some girl with psychic powers asked me,
  (alias B.E.E.)  |   'T-Bone, what's your sign?';

arisco@cadillac.CAD.MCC.COM (John Arisco) (10/12/89)

bee@cs.purdue.edu (Zaphod Beeblebrox) writes:

> Subject: Re: NEC Turbografix
> Sigh.  Get the spelling right, people.  Kill files don't work when
> people misspell the items in them.

[ Somebody pointed out that NES is Nintendo Entertainment System
[ while NEC is the company that makes printers and the new TurboGrafix
[ 16 home video game system.

bee@cs.purdue.edu (Zaphod Beeblebrox) writes:

> Whatever.  These damn things are multiplying so fast, I can't even
> keep up with their silly names for kill file purposes.

	We're outraged that you were forced to read that 13-line
posting.  Swift and sure action is called for.  If this could happen
to you, just think about the terrible toll it will take on the youth
of America.

> Which brings me to a point I'd like to make yet again: let's split
> this group so that the NES/NEC/Sega/etc have their own group and the
> rest of us can talk about the real arcade games (video and pinball).
> IMHO there's plenty enough traffic to justify the split, and the
> overlap between the two is minimal.  Followups will be crossposted to
> news.groups.

	OK, we'll call our group rec.games.video and I don't care what
you call your group.  In fact, even though I don't agree that the
traffic justifies a split, I will vote for your group and subscribe
to it if you choose a reasonable name.  I will vote against
changing the name of this group or tacking on a suffix like .home or
.not.as.sophisticated.as.the.stuff.at.the.bowling.alley
	Most of us in this group like reading about all kinds of video
games (and pinball).  There are a few folks who occasionally complain
about the "kiddie toy" traffic all the while bragging that they can play
all night on the same quarter, and that they have a basement filled with
primo arcade games.  If you to want create another newsgroup for these
postings, have it it.  Maybe you could call it sci.games.video
--
 John Arisco, MCC CAD Program | ARPA: arisco@mcc.com | Phone: [512] 338-3576
 Box 200195, Austin, TX 78720 | UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!milano!cadillac!arisco