[news.groups] Request for comments: news.avian

cyrill@scicom.AlphaCDC.COM (Cyro Lord) (10/10/89)

In article <35345@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>This is is a request for discussion on a possible newsgroup named 'news.avian'.
-There are a large number of bird keepers on the net, and these are a group
-of people who have newsworthy events to discuss -- the other night, my bird,
-Morgan the cockatoo, learned a new word. There are a number of breeders out
-there who would also love a place to announce the arrival of little birdlets
-and other happy events.
-
-Now, I've been thinking about this group for a *long* time and, while a
-group name like 'rec.pets.birds' or 'rec.birds.keeping' might be more
-appropriate at first glance, after careful consideration I've come to the
-conclusion that 'news.avian' is the only possible name.

I'm so glad that we all will have to live with your name for this group.
I know the rest of us can't think but are we really that dumb? Why this
'news' name? Because Chuq wants this name. No to maillists, no to 'rec'
even through birds don't need people to grow, people do this as a hobby.
Enough 'bs' about this. Lets not go down this road as we will have groups
named:
news.games, news.soaps, news.tv, news.radio, news.etc ........
As can be seen, Pandora's box lives in this name. But, one never knows.
Maybe the rest of the net likes this name, not me and I still wish some
good programmer would make the news software able to dump newsgroups
into "/dev/null" if the active file has something like this in it:
news.avian 00000 00000 !   or   news.avian !
Putting this in the 'sys' file just sets the newsgroups files into
'junk' and that not good enough.

--

Cyro Lord	Alpha Comm. Dev. Corp. -  DOMAIN  cyrill@scicom.alphacdc.com
UUCP		{ncar,nbires,boulder,isis}!scicom!cyrill

tittle@alexandre-dumas.ics.uci.edu (Cindy Tittle) (10/10/89)

In article <2039@scicom.AlphaCDC.COM>, cyrill@scicom (Cyro Lord) writes:
|In article <35345@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
 [Chuq's news.avian proposal deleted]

|I'm so glad that we all will have to live with your name for this group.
|I know the rest of us can't think but are we really that dumb? Why this
|'news' name? Because Chuq wants this name. No to maillists, no to 'rec'
|even through birds don't need people to grow, people do this as a hobby.
|Enough 'bs' about this. Lets not go down this road as we will have groups
|named:
|news.games, news.soaps, news.tv, news.radio, news.etc ........
|As can be seen, Pandora's box lives in this name. But, one never knows.
|Maybe the rest of the net likes this name, not me and I still wish some
|good programmer would make the news software able to dump newsgroups
|into "/dev/null" if the active file has something like this in it:
|news.avian 00000 00000 !   or   news.avian !
|Putting this in the 'sys' file just sets the newsgroups files into
|'junk' and that not good enough.

ZAP!  OK, Chuq, one down, five to go!

--
If an aborigine drafted an IQ test,   | ARPA: tittle@ics.uci.edu
for example, all of Western        __ | BITNET: tittle@uci.edu

tittle@alexandre-dumas.ics.uci.edu (Cindy Tittle) writes:

>ZAP!  OK, Chuq, one down, five to go!

Actually, four, Cindy. Someone wrote me this morning and told me to get a
life.... Of course, another 10 or so have figured out that it was yet
another piece of biting satire on the whole sci.aquarian thing....

--

Chuq Von Rospach <+> Editor,OtherRealms <+> Member SFWA/ASFA
chuq@apple.com <+> CI$: 73317,635 <+> [This is myself speaking]

I was a Kings fan before it was politically correct. NHL to San Jose!

gil@banyan.UUCP (Gil Pilz@Eng@Banyan) (10/10/89)

In article <2039@scicom.AlphaCDC.COM> cyrill@scicom.AlphaCDC.COM (Cyro Lord) writes:
>In article <35345@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>>This is is a request for discussion on a possible newsgroup named 'news.avian'.

>I'm so glad that we all will have to live with your name for this group.
>I know the rest of us can't think but are we really that dumb? Why this
>'news' name? Because Chuq wants this name. No to maillists, no to 'rec'
>even through birds don't need people to grow, people do this as a hobby.
>Enough 'bs' about this. Lets not go down this road as we will have groups
>named: [etc. etc. etc.]

Oh god, my sides are still hurting. Thank you so much Cyril. This was
the funniest thing I've seen in quite some time. We all need to
lighten-up around here and with postings like this how can we not ?

Okay everybody on the downbeat . . . 1-2-3-4

                   "IT'S A JOKE, SON"

-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-
        Gilbert W. Pilz Jr.       gil@banyan.com
        Banyan Systems Inc.       (617) 898-1196
        115 Flanders Road
        Westboro, MA 01581

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (10/13/89)

["it should be obvious", indeed]

Chuq, you should know by now that if you omit the ":-)" symbols, at least
*one* person who lacks sense will think you're serious.

++Brandon
(Alternate newsgroup name:  "talk.politics.for-the-birds"?  ;-)
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery@NCoast.ORG
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu