[news.groups] Voting, single transferrable vote, etc

alien@cpoint.UUCP (Alien Wells) (10/12/89)

In article <3315@watale.waterloo.edu> tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) writes:
>Erland Sommarskog <sommar@enea.se> writes:
>> ... etc ... etc ... etc ... writes:
Various talk about voting systems for multiple names ...

There is a much easier way to solve all this, simply, understandably, and
without all the mess that I've seen proposed.

When a call for votes is proposed, include ALL proposed names.  Each person
voting votes yes/no on EACH name.  A voter simply votes YES on all the names
he would find acceptable, and NO on all the names he does not.

You then apply your acceptance criteria (which right now seems to be simply
delta between YES and NO votes) to each.  The best one wins, and if the best
one has a high enough threshold the group becomes reality.

Let's see how this could be used to cut through the alt.aquaria mess.  The
proposal goes out:

:	Vote among the following:
:sci.aquaria		-
:rec.aquaria		-
:rec.aquarium		-
:rec.fish		-
:rec.pets.aquaria	-
:rec.pets.aquarium	-
:rec.pets.fish		-

Some valid votes would be:

:sci.aquaria		- YES
:rec.aquaria		- YES
:rec.aquarium		- NO
:rec.fish		- NO
:rec.pets.aquaria	- NO
:rec.pets.aquarium	- NO
:rec.pets.fish		- NO

:sci.aquaria		- NO
:rec.aquaria		- NO
:rec.aquarium		- NO
:rec.fish		- NO
:rec.pets.aquaria	- NO
:rec.pets.aquarium	- NO
:rec.pets.fish		- NO

:sci.aquaria		- NO
:rec.aquaria		- YES
:rec.aquarium		- YES
:rec.fish		- NO
:rec.pets.aquaria	- YES
:rec.pets.aquarium	- YES
:rec.pets.fish		- YES

This is the sort of thing that anyone could understand.  If the voting
ended up coming out:

	NAME				YES	 NO
	sci.aquaria		- 	 84	116
	rec.aquaria		- 	164	 36
	rec.aquarium		- 	 44	156
	rec.fish		- 	  2	198
	rec.pets.aquaria	- 	146	 54
	rec.pets.aquarium	- 	 32	168
	rec.pets.fish		- 	 11	189

Then rec.aquaria would be the winning name, and the difference of 164-36=128
means the group goes through.

Please consider this.  And please, don't get this confused with the debate on
whether to use absolute difference, 100 NOs, ratios, or whatever.  This
multiple vote system allows any kind of acceptance criteria to be used.
The nice thing is that it provides total flexibility and keeps the influence
of power plays to a minimum.
--
--------|	Sometimes I feel like a ball
Alien   |		in the great pinball game of life.

kayvan@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Kayvan Sylvan) (10/12/89)

Alien> There is a much easier way to solve all this, simply,
Alien> understandably, and without all the mess that I've seen
Alien> proposed.

Alien> When a call for votes is proposed, include ALL proposed names.
Alien> Each person voting votes yes/no on EACH name.  A voter simply
Alien> votes YES on all the names he would find acceptable, and NO on
Alien> all the names he does not.

I *like* this idea!!!

It's simple and seems to have all the advantages of many of the other
voting schemes proposed.

			---Kayvan
--
Kayvan Sylvan @ Transact Software, Inc. -*-  Los Altos, CA (415) 961-6112
Internet: kayvan@Transact.COM -*- UUCP: ...!{apple,pyramid,mips}!mrspoc!kayvan

cathyf@rice.edu (Catherine A. Foulston) (10/12/89)

In article <KAYVAN.89Oct12023250@mrspoc.Transact.COM> kayvan@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Kayvan Sylvan) writes:

Alien> When a call for votes is proposed, include ALL proposed names.
Alien> Each person voting votes yes/no on EACH name.  A voter simply
Alien> votes YES on all the names he would find acceptable, and NO on
Alien> all the names he does not.

Kayvan>I *like* this idea!!!

Kayvan>It's simple and seems to have all the advantages of many of the other
Kayvan>voting schemes proposed.

Kayvan>			---Kayvan

I like it too!  It also allows easy abstention, for those who don't
care.  If you don't want sci.painting for naming reasons, but you don't
care about (or don't think you are qualified to vote on) rec.painting,
then you submit a NO vote for sci.painting and you don't submit any
vote on rec.painting.

	-Cathy

Cathy Foulston
cathyf@rice.edu  =||=  ...uunet!rice!cathyf  =||=  CFOUL00@RICEVM1[.bitnet]
A bit of tolerance is worth a megabyte of flaming.  --Henry Spencer
But if you *must* flame me, do the group a favor and use email.  -- me

dsill@ark1.nswc.navy.mil (Dave Sill) (10/13/89)

In article <2673@cpoint.UUCP>, alien@cpoint.UUCP (Alien Wells) writes:
> When a call for votes is proposed, include ALL proposed names.  Each person
> voting votes yes/no on EACH name.  A voter simply votes YES on all the names
> he would find acceptable, and NO on all the names he does not.
>
> You then apply your acceptance criteria (which right now seems to be simply
> delta between YES and NO votes) to each.  The best one wins, and if the best
> one has a high enough threshold the group becomes reality.

I think this is a great idea.  It's as flexible as the modified-STV
rules we've tossed around, but is very simple to both understand and
use.  There's only one small detail to be worked out, though.

How do you decide which of the passing names (i.e., those that meet
the 100-vote requirement or the criterion du jour) is the overall
winner?  The one with the most YES votes?  The one with the fewest NO
votes?  The one with the best YES/NO ratio?

I think, perhaps, fewest NO votes would be best; the path of least
resistance, so to speak.

Dave Sill (dsill@relay.nswc.navy.mil)

sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (10/13/89)

In article <2673@cpoint.UUCP>, alien@cpoint.UUCP (Alien Wells) writes:
> When a call for votes is proposed, include ALL proposed names.  Each person
> voting votes yes/no on EACH name.  A voter simply votes YES on all the names
> he would find acceptable, and NO on all the names he does not.

Hmmm. This sounds much like the proposal I made in a previous article
<14035.2530882d@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>.  I would suggest a slight modification.
Rather than listing the possibilities in the call for votes, just let everyone
write in their choices, with wild cards allowed.  Then I could send in a vote
like:

sci.* NO
rec.pets.* NO
rec.aquaria YES

This would allow everyone to expess opinions about both the group creation and
the name in one vote.  A vote like "* YES" would mean that the voter would
like the group created, reguardless of the name.  "Sci.* NO, rec.* YES" would
me that the voter is against any group in the sci heirarchy, but for any group
in rec.

I think this system of voting would allow us to select a name at the same time
we are deciding if the group should be created.  If no name passes the
criteria (whatever they are), then the group wouldn't be created.  If several
names pass, then we would need to develop criteria for selecting among the
alternatives.  We might use fewest NO votes, or greatest percent of YES votes,
or just about anything else.
--
USmail: Bob Sloane, University of Kansas Computer Center, Lawrence, KS, 66045
E-mail: sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu, sloane@ukanvax.bitnet, AT&T: (913)864-0444

jwi@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ) (10/13/89)

| Alien> When a call for votes is proposed, include ALL proposed names.
| Alien> Each person voting votes yes/no on EACH name.  A voter simply
| Alien> votes YES on all the names he would find acceptable, and NO on
| Alien> all the names he does not.
|
| Kayvan> I *like* this idea!!!
| Kayvan> It's simple and seems to have all the advantages of many of the other
| Kayvan> voting schemes proposed.
|
| Cathy> I like it too!  It also allows easy abstention, for those who don't
| Cathy> care.  If you don't want sci.painting for naming reasons, but you don't
| Cathy> care about (or don't think you are qualified to vote on) rec.painting,
| Cathy> then you submit a NO vote for sci.painting and you don't submit any
| Cathy> vote on rec.painting.

I like it too! It provides a simple way to end
these endless flame wars.

Jim Winer -- The opinions expressed here are not necessarily
	     and do not represent nor in any way imply
	     of any other sane person and especially not
	     employer.
"I'd like to see this petty bickering ended so we could get to some
more important bickering." -- David Bedno