[news.groups] "Acceptance voting" Re: Voting, single transferrable vote, etc

[ the proposal, each 'vote' contains a seperate YES or NO for each suggested
  name. The name with the most YES votes is considered, and if it passes the
  criteria the group is created. ]

This proposal is an excellent compromise between fairness and complexity,
and I would vote for it (:->). I would like to make one suggestion, though.
And that is to allow write-ins, in case the guy running the vote *still*
tries to stack the deck by leaving an appropriate name out (under whatever
excuse... "I didn't see that one", for example).

Also, what happens if the name with the most YES votes fails? Does the group
fail, or do we consider the name with the next-highest YES count?
--
Peter da Silva, *NIX support guy @ Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
Biz: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. Fun: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com. `-_-'

matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Matt Crawford) (10/14/89)

In article <6518@ficc.uu.net>, peter@ficc (Peter da Silva) writes:
) [ the proposal, each 'vote' contains a seperate YES or NO for each suggested
)   name. The name with the most YES votes is considered, and if it passes the
)   criteria the group is created. ]

Bravo!  Now we're getting somewhere!  I like this scheme.  I think it is
good.  I think that other people might like it too.  It strips away a
lot of possible deck-stacking, log-rolling, and sequential-choice problems.

) Also, what happens if the name with the most YES votes fails? Does the group
) fail, or do we consider the name with the next-highest YES count?

I can't think how that would be necessary.  Under what criteria can the
name with the most yes votes fail, but some other name pass?  I suppose
it could happen if there were voters who omitted some of the candidate
names.  Defining a default treatment for omitted name would obviate the
question.

It boils down to the following proposition, I suppose:

	If a newsgroup for a certain purpose is to be created, it should
	be created with the name favored by the greatest number of voters.

The only alternative I can see to accepting this proposition is to
advocate some "tsar nomenklaturoi".  I doubt that that would be a
very popular opinion.
Matt Crawford	     		matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu

In article <5815@tank.uchicago.edu> matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Matt Crawford) writes:
> I can't think how that would be necessary.  Under what criteria can the
> name with the most yes votes fail, but some other name pass?

	sci.rap		250 YES		200 NO
	rec.music.rap	120 YES		3 NO
	rec.rap		12 YES		200 NO