[news.groups] Graphite

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (10/14/89)

In article <6522@ficc.uu.net> birwin@ficc.uu.net (Bob Irwin) writes:
>Aquaria?  Do you want lousy-spelling Flower Children pursuing the
>Age of Aquarius?  Please use the more common plural of *ium.  Do
>we say, "Put aquaria in the atria." ?  Is aquaria suggested because
>it might 'sound' more scientific?

No, it sounds neater, and has been in usage for longer, and is
more common in other parts of the world. (Read, outside of the US)

>Sci?  Will we have to type Lebistes reticlatus, instead of guppy?

No, if you wanted to be correct, you'd use *Poecilia reticulata*. The
genus was moved twenty five years ago.

The following things are, in my mind, open:

	o Sci vs. something else
	o something.bio.something
	o two groups, one more technically oriented
	o moderatedness

The following things are, in my mind, right out:

	o something.pets.something
	o the name ``aquarium(s)'' over ``aquaria''

--
            Help wipe out BBQ lighter fluid in your lifetime
richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (10/14/89)

Lest it get lost in all the noise, some of us are perfectly happy keeping
alt.aquaria right where it is. Moving it to rec, sci, or anywhere else would
be a dreadful mistake.

<csg>