[news.groups] Namespace Reorganization

jtc@tessera.uucp (J.T. Conklin) (10/15/89)

In article <73@elrond.la.locus.com> news@elrond.la.locus.com.UUCP (George Bray) writes:
>The last "great renaming" was a real struggle (I only watched from the
>sidelines, but I still got rather blood-spattered).  It would be useful
>to attempt again, but with so many machines, users, and sysadmins around,
>I'm not sure it's really possible.  SIGH.

I agree that the "great renaming" was a big hassle, but I think it left
a much better usenet in its place.

I think that if there was an annual namespace reorganization, things can
be set up to be much smoother.  For example, a set of scripts could be
developed that would update active, sys, and .newsrc files (or whatever
they are called on your flavour of news) from a "change list".

Perhaps a test renaming could be set up (maybe news.* -> netnews.*) to
test the real-world feasibility of such a plan.

    --jtc

--
J.T. Conklin
	...!{ubc-cs,uunet}!van-bc!tessera!jtc