[news.groups] Newsgroup split

pam@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Pam Pletz) (10/12/89)

I vote no.  I really don't think there is enough traffic to justify
this. B&B gets a max of about 1 article a week!  Same with GEN.
It doesn't matter how you split it either.  Just because I watch
Y&R, doesn't mean I only watch CBS soaps!  I think it would be
inconvenient for the majority to have to suscribe to 6+ more groups to
keep up with the soaps.  I like to keep up a bit with most of them.
And what about general soap news?  Where does that go?

Just *my* opinion!

:-)
pam

oneil@zeus.unl.edu (Sharon O'Neil) (10/14/89)

In article <40178@bu-cs.BU.EDU>, pam@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Pam Pletz) writes:
> I think it would be
> inconvenient for the majority to have to suscribe to 6+ more groups to
> keep up with the soaps.  I like to keep up a bit with most of them.
> And what about general soap news?  Where does that go?
>
> Just *my* opinion!

  I agree!  I think that splitting the newsgroup by show is about the
most ludicrous idea I have heard in a long time.

  Let's be logical, folks.  It seems logical enough to me that if people
continue to put the name of the show into the title, then the problem is
solved.  If you reader lets you skip keywords, then that's keen.  If not,
then you just select articles with the stuff you want.

  I could see Rats.CBS or ABC or NBC, but still, it seems silly.

--
------------------------------------+-----------------------------------------
 Sharon Lindsey O'Neil              | Internet: oneil@zeus.unl.edu

mst@csun.edu (10/16/89)

In article <4107.253633eb@zeus.unl.edu> oneil@zeus.unl.edu (Sharon O'Neil) writes:
>In article <40178@bu-cs.BU.EDU>, pam@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Pam Pletz) writes:
>> I think it would be
>> inconvenient for the majority to have to suscribe to 6+ more groups to
>> keep up with the soaps.  I like to keep up a bit with most of them.
>> And what about general soap news?  Where does that go?
>>
>> Just *my* opinion!
>
>  I agree!  I think that splitting the newsgroup by show is about the
>most ludicrous idea I have heard in a long time.
>
> Sharon Lindsey O'Neil              | Internet: oneil@zeus.unl.edu

Is it so awful to hit tthe 'y' key when asked if you want to subscribe
to 'rec.arts.tv.soaps.oltl'?  You need to say yes, and then one more key
to say where in your .newsrc file to put it.  If they are just
one-after-the-other in the .newsrc file, you will hardly notice any
difference.

I say 'YES' to the split.  Both sides have had some pretty good reasons
for the way they want it, but the arrogance (and I do mean arrogance) of
the no'ers is pretty strong.  If wewant to take their view of 'but it
takes up soooooo much disk space', why split the system up at all.  Why not
just have 'news'.  One BIG directory with everything in it.  Why, you
could always use your KILL files,  EVERYONE has kill files. :-)

Mike .