[news.groups] Distribution of hierarchies

sommar@enea.se (Erland Sommarskog) (10/17/89)

Brad Templeton (brad@looking.on.ca) writes:
>What's the point?  Typical "talk" group propagation (the 'worst' hierarchy)
>is 80%.  Typical "comp" is 96%.   Typical "rec" is about 86% and goes as
>high as 94.  "soc" is similar, "misc" is slightly higher.  "sci" is around
>90-95%.
>
>In other words, who the fuck cares?   All this fuss about whether a group
>goes in a hierarchy that might give it 5% more distribution?  And that 5%
>mostly marginal sites that will prune any group they don't like anyway?

There is a point, or should I say, there was. It used to be the case
that Europe took only a selected brand of rec, soc and misc, and none
of talk. Thus, an entire continent could be excluded if you got
into to the wrong domain.

However, things are changing. At least here in Scandinavia we're
getting all groups (including alt) since the beginning of September.
I don't know about the rest of Europe, but I guess they will hang on.
                                                                  --
Erland Sommarskog - ENEA Data, Stockholm - sommar@enea.se
"My baby's a 26. On a scale from one to ten, my baby's a 26." - Chic