[news.groups] Changes to How to Create a New Newsgroup

spaf@cs.purdue.EDU (Gene Spafford) (05/09/88)

This posting contains a listing of differences between the version of
the article (referenced in the "Subject:" line) just posted to this
group, and the version posted a few weeks ago.  New users may ignore
this posting -- it is intended to enable experienced users
to track changes to the regularly posted Usenet documents.

*** old/howto.n	Mon Nov  2 16:12:18 1987
--- src/howto.n	Sun May  8 23:34:33 1988
***************
*** 5,7
! [Most recent change: 31 October 1987 by spaf@cs.purdue.edu (Gene Spafford)]

--- 5,7 -----
! [Most recent change: 14 April 1988 by spaf@cs.purdue.edu (Gene Spafford)]

***************
*** 20,22
  "alt" and "bionet") may be different and you should consult readers and
! admins in those groups for information specific to those groups.

--- 20,29 -----
  "alt" and "bionet") may be different and you should consult readers and
! admins in those groups for information specific to those groups.  Also
! note that these are general *guidelines* -- there is no guarantee that
! any site will ever issue or honor a "newgroup" request for any group,
! even if all these guidelines are followed.  In particular, problems of
! legality, volume and taste may keep some groups from being created in
! the regular newsgroup hierarchy at many (or most) sites, no matter what
! the perceived support; in general, such groups can be created in the
! alternate distributions without any such trouble.

! group -- it might be just what you want.  Also determine if there are
! potential objections to the creation of the group based on common sense,
! good taste, or possible legal difficulties -- such groups are best
! left as mailing lists or semi-private hierarchies.

***************
*** 81,84
  should be informative, reasonably short, and in an appropriate
! top-level hierarchy.  Also determine if you want the newsgroup to be
! moderated or not.

--- 91,95 -----
  should be informative, reasonably short, and in an appropriate
! top-level hierarchy.  The name should directly describe the purpose and
! content of the proposed group, to aid new readers in selecting it.
! Also determine if you want the newsgroup to be moderated or not.

***************
*** 87,92
  needed and/or interesting, and what you think it should be named.  Ask
! for comments to be posted and for votes to be *MAILED* to you.  Be sure
! to cross-post your article to any newsgroups where there might be
! interest, but set the "Followup-to" header so that responses only
! go to the "news.groups" group.

--- 98,103 -----
  needed and/or interesting, and what you think it should be named.  Ask
! for comments to be posted and discussed.  Be sure to cross-post your
! article to any newsgroups where there might be interest, but set the
! "Followup-to" header so that responses only go to the "news.groups"
! group.

***************
*** 100,103
  5) Collect MAILED votes on the issue of the new newsgroup.  The
! threshold currently set as necessary for creating a new group is 100
! more "yes" votes than "no" votes in a 30 day period.
     a) If you get at least 100 more "yes" votes than "no" votes,

--- 111,114 -----
  5) Collect MAILED votes on the issue of the new newsgroup.  The
! threshold currently set as necessary to suggest creating a new group is
! 100 more "yes" votes than "no" votes in a 30 day period.
     a) If you get at least 100 more "yes" votes than "no" votes,
***************
*** 121,124
  will ignore the group unless the control message originates from one of
! the known backbone admins (usually one of: spaf@arthur.cs.purdue.edu,
! mark@cbosgd.att.com, rick@uunet.uu.net, woods@hao.ucar.edu or
  fair@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu).  If the group is moderated, be sure to

--- 132,135 -----
  will ignore the group unless the control message originates from one of
! the known backbone admins (usually one of: news or spaf@cs.purdue.edu,
! mark@stargate.com, rick@uunet.uu.net, woods@ncar.ucar.edu or
  fair@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu).  If the group is moderated, be sure to
--
Gene Spafford
NSF/Purdue/U of Florida  Software Engineering Research Center,

shefter-bret@CS.YALE.EDU (Bret A. Shefter) (05/14/88)

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MEmunch, munch, smack gulp <burp>

In article <4029@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> spaf@cs.purdue.EDU (Gene Spafford) writes:
>This posting contains a listing of differences between the version of
>the article (referenced in the "Subject:" line) just posted to this
>group, and the version posted a few weeks ago.
>
>!                                                                ...Also
>! note that these are general *guidelines* -- there is no guarantee that
>! any site will ever issue or honor a "newgroup" request for any group,
>! even if all these guidelines are followed.  In particular, problems of
>! legality, volume and taste may keep some groups from being created in
>! the regular newsgroup hierarchy at many (or most) sites, no matter what
>! the perceived support; in general, such groups can be created in the
>! alternate distributions without any such trouble.
>
>!                                        ...Also determine if there are
>! potential objections to the creation of the group based on common sense,
>! good taste, or possible legal difficulties -- such groups are best
>! left as mailing lists or semi-private hierarchies.
>
>!                    ...The name should directly describe the purpose and
>! content of the proposed group, to aid new readers in selecting it.
>
>  5) Collect MAILED votes on the issue of the new newsgroup.  The
>! threshold currently set as necessary for creating a new group is 100
>! more "yes" votes than "no" votes in a 30 day period.
>--- 111,114 -----
>  5) Collect MAILED votes on the issue of the new newsgroup.  The
>! threshold currently set as necessary to suggest creating a new group is
>! 100 more "yes" votes than "no" votes in a 30 day period.
>--
>Gene Spafford
>NSF/Purdue/U of Florida  Software Engineering Research Center,
>Dept. of Computer Sciences, Purdue University, W. Lafayette IN 47907-2004
>Internet:  spaf@cs.purdue.edu  uucp:   ...!{decwrl,gatech,ucbvax}!purdue!spaf

    I have been watching the discussion surrounding the newsgroup proposed by
Bob Webber with a mixture of wonder and disgust. Mr. Webber set out to prove a
point. He called for votes to create a new group. I did not vote either way,
supporting (I thought) my faith in the current voting system. Mr. Webber col-
lected the requisite number of votes, and requested the creation of his group.
    For various reasons which are not worth rehashing, the group has not been
created. The general concensus is that, regardless of whether Mr. Webber has
proved his point, the group itself is worthless. And, though Mr. Webber has
abided by the rules as they previously existed, the unwritten law of the back-
bone has defeated him.
    Now, there is a new version of the rules for creating a new newsgroup. And
for the life of me I have *NEVER* before seen such a thinly veiled attack on
one individual by a supposedly responsible member of an administration. Gene
Spafford has collected the arguments used against Mr. Webber and incorporated
them into the official guidelines *retroactively*, so that there is now com-
plete justification for the actions taken in his case.
    Jesus Christ, didn't anybody here ever read *Animal Farm*???
    Congratulations, Mr. Spafford. You have succeeded in making me sick. Oh,
sure, I know you don't care, because I'm only a lowly news *reader*, but I'm
posting this anyway. You don't like it? Unsubscribe to news.groups, and un-
subscribe to news.admin. That's the message you're passing on to us.

					A thoroughly pissed-off Shadow
--
    From the only slightly twisted mind of...
	shefter-bret@yale.ARPA                  * DISCLAIMER *

spaf@cs.purdue.EDU (Gene Spafford) (05/15/89)

This posting contains a listing of differences between the version of
the article (referenced in the "Subject:" line) just posted to the
news.announce.newusers group, and the version posted a few weeks ago.
It is intended to enable experienced users to track changes to the
regularly posted Usenet documents.

*** old/howto.n	Sun May  8 23:36:20 1988
--- src/howto.n	Sun May 14 22:46:33 1989
***************
*** 1,4
  Newsgroups: news.announce.newusers,news.groups,news.admin
! Expires: 40days

--- 1,4 -----
  Newsgroups: news.announce.newusers,news.groups,news.admin
! Expires: 90days

***************
*** 4,7

! [Most recent change: 14 April 1988 by spaf@cs.purdue.edu (Gene Spafford)]

--- 4,6 -----

***************
*** 8,10

! 		How to Establish a New Newsgroup

--- 7,9 -----

!       GUIDELINES FOR USENET GROUP CREATION

***************
*** 10,17

! One question that frequently appears on the Usenet has to do with how
! newsgroups are created.  Usually this occurs when someone believes they
! have identified a topic that deserves a new group and they are not
! aware of the conventions surrounding newsgroup establishment.  The
! purpose of this article is to help provide some background and
! guidelines for users interested in establishing new groups.

--- 9,11 -----

! REQUIREMENTS FOR GROUP CREATION:

***************
*** 17,29

! Note that these guidelines are for new groups in the "regular" Usenet
! -- conventions for new groups in the alternate hierarchies (such as
! "alt" and "bionet") may be different and you should consult readers and
! admins in those groups for information specific to those groups.  Also
! note that these are general *guidelines* -- there is no guarantee that
! any site will ever issue or honor a "newgroup" request for any group,
! even if all these guidelines are followed.  In particular, problems of
! legality, volume and taste may keep some groups from being created in
! the regular newsgroup hierarchy at many (or most) sites, no matter what
! the perceived support; in general, such groups can be created in the
! alternate distributions without any such trouble.

--- 11,30 -----

!    These are guidelines that have been generally agreed upon across
! USENET as appropriate for following in the creating of new newsgroups in
! the "standard" USENET newsgroup heirarchy. They are NOT intended as
! guidelines for setting USENET policy other than group creations, and they
! are not intended to apply to "alternate" or local news heirarchies. The
! part of the namespace affected is comp, news, sci, misc, soc, talk, rec,
! which are the most widely-distributed areas of the USENET heirarchy.
!    Any group creation request which follows these guidelines to a
! successful result should be honored, and any request which fails to
! follow these procedures or to obtain a successful result from doing so
! should be dropped, except under extraordinary circumstances.  The
! reason these are called guidelines and not absolute rules is that it is
! not possible to predict in advance what "extraordinary circumstances"
! are or how they might arise.
!    It should be pointed out here that, as always, the decision whether or not
! to create a newsgroup on a given machine rests with the administrator of that
! machine. These guidelines are intended merely as an aid in making those
! decisions.

***************
*** 29,43

- Background
- ----------
- The Usenet is, for the most part, a loosely connected system governed
- by consensus and momentum.  There is no "central authority" that
- actually runs the the network.  In fact, it is not even possible to
- precisely define what groups and sites consititute the network -- the
- best we can do is provide a working definition: "The Usenet consists of
- sites exchanging articles in the news.* groups." This informal
- definition describes a collection of thousands of machines in over a
- dozen countries on four continents; total potential readership is in
- the hundreds of thousands.  Total volume of all the newsgroups
- regularly surpasses two megabytes of information flow per day in almost
- three hundred newsgroups.

--- 30,31 -----

***************
*** 43,53

! A few years ago, the network began to exhibit overload problems.  These
! overload problems include human overload as well as machine. Not only
! are some machines straining to handle the ever-increasing communication
! and storage needs of the network, but many (or most!) of the readers of
! the network find themselves unable to organize and read the incredible
! amounts of information available to them.  Increasingly sophisticated
! software and organization have helped both problems, but overload of
! both kinds continues to be a problem.  The creation of new newsgroups
! can sometimes help the problem and but can also sometimes make it worse.

--- 31,33 -----

! The Discussion

***************
*** 53,71

! To help promote the constructive creation of new newsgroups, the
! administrators of the Usenet backbone machines have formalized a set of
! guidelines for the creation of new newsgroups. These are based on
! historical precedent and perceived limitations.
!     (The "members of the backbone" are a de-facto advisory committee
!     for the Usenet, consisting of current and past administrators of
!     machines whose connectivity and load are seen as critical to the
!     functioning of the Usenet.  This group includes authors of the
!     original A and B news software and users of the Usenet since its
!     inception.  It includes programmers, researchers, professors,
!     consultants and end-users; their collective experience with Unix
!     and the Usenet can be measured in the hundreds of years.)
! No one is forced to adhere to these guidelines, but action on Usenet
! newsgroup creation or deletion that does not follow these guidelines
! may be ignored by the backbone sites and the majority of Usenet sites
! that usually follow the examples set by the backbone.  It is thus in
! the best interests of the proposed newsgroup to follow the guidelines.

--- 33,38 -----

! 1) A call for discussion on creation of a new newsgroup should be posted
!    to news.groups, and also to any other groups or mailing lists at all
!    related to the proposed topic if desired. The Followup-to: header should be
!    set so that the actual discussion takes place only in news.groups

***************
*** 71,72

--- 38,41 -----

+ 2) The discussion period should last for at least two weeks (14 days),
+    and no more than 30 days.

***************
*** 72,80

! Guidelines
! ----------
! The following guidelines assume you have determined that you want a
! newsgroup to be created.  You may want this newsgroup to address a
! topic of particular interest, or it might be to help subdivide an
! existing newsgroup.  Once you have decided you want a new newsgroup,
! you should do the following:

--- 41,50 -----

! 3) The name and charter of the proposed group and whether it will be moderated
!    or unmoderated (and if the former, who the moderator will be) should be
!    determined during the discussion period. If there is no general consensus
!    on these points among the proponents of a new group at the end of 30 days
!    of discussion, the discussion should be taken offline (into mail instead of
!    news.groups) and the proponents should iron out the details among themselves.
!    Once that is done, a new, more specific proposal may be made, going back
!    to step 1) above.

! group -- it might be just what you want.  Also determine if there are
! potential objections to the creation of the group based on common sense,
! good taste, or possible legal difficulties -- such groups are best
! left as mailing lists or semi-private hierarchies.

--- 50,52 -----

! The Vote

***************
*** 89,95

! 2) Determine an appropriate name for your proposed newsgroup -- a name
! should be informative, reasonably short, and in an appropriate
! top-level hierarchy.  The name should directly describe the purpose and
! content of the proposed group, to aid new readers in selecting it.
! Also determine if you want the newsgroup to be moderated or not.

--- 52,69 -----

! 1) AFTER the discussion period, if it has been determined that a new group is
!    really desired, a name and charter are agreed upon, and it has been
!    determined whether the group will be moderated and if so who will
!    moderate it, a call for votes may be posted to news.groups and any
!    other groups or mailing lists that the original call for discussion
!    might have been posted to. There should be minimal delay between the
!    end of the discussion period and the issuing of a call for votes.
!    The call for votes should include clear instructions for how to cast
!    a vote. It must be as clearly explained and as easy to do to cast a
!    vote for creation as against it, and vice versa.  It is explicitly
!    permitted to set up two separate addresses to mail yes and no votes
!    to provided that they are on the same machine, to set up an address
!    different than that the article was posted from to mail votes to, or
!    to just accept replies to the call for votes article, as long as it
!    is clearly and explicitly stated in the call for votes article how
!    to cast a vote.

***************
*** 95,103

! 3) Post an article to the newsgroup "news.groups" describing your
! proposed new group.  Be sure to describe why you think the group is
! needed and/or interesting, and what you think it should be named.  Ask
! for comments to be posted and discussed.  Be sure to cross-post your
! article to any newsgroups where there might be interest, but set the
! "Followup-to" header so that responses only go to the "news.groups"
! group.

--- 69,74 -----

! 2) The voting period should last for at least 30 days, no matter what the
!    preliminary results of the vote are. The exact date that the voting period
!    will end should be stated in the call for votes. Only votes that arrive
!    on the vote-taker's machine prior to this date may be counted.

***************
*** 103,110

! 4) Consider carefully all comments and objections, whether posted or
! mailed.  Answer objections and questions in a timely fashion.  Change
! the name or nature of the group, if needed, based on the comments of
! others.  Remember that the success of the group is based on the support
! and participation of the other people on the network, so listen to
! their advice and concerns.

--- 74,81 -----

! 3) A couple of repeats of the call for votes may be posted during the vote,
!    provided that they contain similar clear, unbiased instructions for
!    casting a vote as the original, and provided that it is really a repeat
!    of the call for votes on the SAME proposal (see #5 below). Partial vote
!    results should NOT be included; only a statement of the specific new
!    group proposal, that a vote is in progress on it, and how to cast a vote.

***************
*** 110,129

! 5) Collect MAILED votes on the issue of the new newsgroup.  The
! threshold currently set as necessary to suggest creating a new group is
! 100 more "yes" votes than "no" votes in a 30 day period.
!    a) If you get at least 100 more "yes" votes than "no" votes,
!       post an article to the news.groups newsgroup including the
!       totals and the list of account names of people voting.
!    b) If you fail to get at least 100 more "yes" votes than "no"
!       votes, consider starting a mailing list for your topic
!       instead of a new group, or else think about starting the
!       group as an "alt" group.  If a group cannot get the support
!       of at least 100 people in one month's time, it does not
!       belong on the Usenet until such time as it gains sufficient
!       support.
!    c) If you are trying to get an exisiting mailing list upgraded
!       to a newsgroup, consider the current subscriber list as a
!       set of "yes" votes of equal number, but only if they have
!       already agreed that they want the list turned into a
!       newsgroup.

--- 81,86 -----

! 4) ONLY votes MAILED to the vote-taker will count. Votes posted to the net
!    for any reason (including inability to get mail to the vote-taker) and
!    proxy votes (such as having a mailing list maintainer claim a vote for
!    each member of the list) may not be counted.

***************
*** 129,142

! 6) Send mail to "backbone@rutgers.edu" and ask that the group be
! created.  You can issue the control message yourself, but many sites
! will ignore the group unless the control message originates from one of
! the known backbone admins (usually one of: news or spaf@cs.purdue.edu,
! mark@stargate.com, rick@uunet.uu.net, woods@ncar.ucar.edu or
! fair@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu).  If the group is moderated, be sure to
! include information about the moderator and submission addresses in
! your mail message so that the appropriate postings and databases can be
! updated.  The group will likely be created at this time, but if the
! members of the backbone list perceive that there are serious unanswered
! questions about the group's creation, it may be postponed until those
! questions are resolved.

--- 86,93 -----

! 5) Votes may not be transferred to other, similar proposals. A vote shall
!    count only for the EXACT proposal that it is a response to. In particular,
!    a vote for or against a newsgroup under one name shall NOT be counted as
!    a vote for or against a newsgroup with a different name or charter,
!    a different moderated/unmoderated status or (if moderated) a different
!    moderator.

***************
*** 142,143

--- 93,100 -----

+ 6) Votes MUST be explicit; they should be of the form "I vote for the
+    group foo.bar as proposed" or "I vote against the group foo.bar
+    as proposed". The wording doesn't have to be exact, it just needs to
+    be unambiguous. In particular, statements of the form "I would vote
+    for this group if..." should be considered comments only and not
+    counted as votes.

***************
*** 143,149

! Summary
! -------
! That's pretty much all you do to create a new newsgroup.  You need to
! establish that there is sufficient support to create the group, and that
! there are no serious objections to its creation.

--- 100,102 -----

! The Result

--- 102,115 -----

! 1) At the completion of the 30 day voting period, the vote taker must post
!    the vote tally and the E-mail addresses and (if available) names of the
!    votes received to news.groups and any other groups or mailing lists to
!    which the original call for votes was posted.
!
! 2) AFTER the vote result is posted, there will be a 5 day waiting period
!    during which the net will have a chance to correct any errors in
!    the voter list or the voting procedure.
!
! 3) AFTER the waiting period, and if there were no serious objections that might
!    invalidate the vote, and if 100 more YES/create votes are received
!    than NO/don't create, a newgroup control message may be sent out.
!    If the 100 vote margin is not met, the group should not be created.
--

spaf@cs.purdue.EDU (Gene Spafford) (06/20/89)

This posting contains a listing of differences between the version of
the article (referenced in the "Subject:" line) just posted to the
news.announce.newusers group, and the version posted a few weeks ago.
It is intended to enable experienced users to track changes to the
regularly posted Usenet documents.

*** old/howto.n	Sun May 14 23:05:33 1989
--- src/howto.n	Sat May 20 16:36:32 1989
***************
*** 116
     If the 100 vote margin is not met, the group should not be created.

--- 116,125 -----
     If the 100 vote margin is not met, the group should not be created.
+    The newgroup message may be sent by the vote-taker (if able to do so)
+    or by the system administrator on the vote-taker's machine. If this
+    option is not available, then the vote-taker may send mail to
+    "newgroup@ncar.ucar.edu" saying that a successful vote has been run
+    and requesting that a newgroup message be sent. DO NOT send the vote
+    results; we can look those up in news.groups if we haven't seen them
+    there already. In any case, please send mail to Gene Spafford
+    (spaf@purdue.edu) informing him of a successful vote, so he can add the
+    new group to the official list of groups which he maintains.
--

spaf@cs.purdue.EDU (Gene Spafford) (07/22/89)

This posting contains a listing of differences between the version of
the article (referenced in the "Subject:" line) just posted to the
news.announce.newusers group, and the version posted a few weeks ago.
It is intended to enable experienced users to track changes to the
regularly posted Usenet documents.

*** /tmp/fo16086	Fri Jul 21 23:12:21 1989
--- /tmp/fo26086	Fri Jul 21 23:12:22 1989
***************
*** 125
     new group to the official list of groups which he maintains.

--- 125,126 -----
     new group to the official list of groups which he maintains.
+
--

spaf@cs.purdue.EDU (Gene Spafford) (09/04/89)

This posting contains a listing of differences between the version of
the article (referenced in the "Subject:" line) just posted to the
news.announce.newusers group, and the version posted a few weeks ago.
It is intended to enable experienced users to track changes to the
regularly posted Usenet documents.

*** /tmp/fo121046	Sun Sep  3 17:24:27 1989
--- /tmp/fo221046	Sun Sep  3 17:24:28 1989
***************
*** 5,7
! [Most recent change: 14 May 1989 by Greg Woods]

--- 5,7 -----
! [Most recent change: 3  Sep 1989 by woods@ncar.ucar.edu (Greg Woods)]

!    related to the proposed topic if desired. The Followup-to: header should be
!    set so that the actual discussion takes place only in news.groups

--- 35,42 -----
  1) A call for discussion on creation of a new newsgroup should be posted
!    to news.announce.newgroups, and also to any other groups or mailing lists
!    at all related to the proposed topic if desired. This group is moderated,
!    and The Followup-to: header will be set so that the actual discussion takes
!    place only in news.groups. Users on sites which have difficulty posting
!    to moderated groups may mail submissions intended for news.announce.newgroups
!    to "announce-newgroups@ncar.ucar.edu".

***************
*** 43,46
  3) The name and charter of the proposed group and whether it will be moderated
!    or unmoderated (and if the former, who the moderator will be) should be
!    determined during the discussion period. If there is no general consensus
     on these points among the proponents of a new group at the end of 30 days

--- 46,49 -----
  3) The name and charter of the proposed group and whether it will be moderated
!    or unmoderated (and if the former, who the moderator(s) will be) should be
!    determined during the discussion period. If there is no general agreement
     on these points among the proponents of a new group at the end of 30 days
     might have been posted to. There should be minimal delay between the

--- 59,62 -----
     determined whether the group will be moderated and if so who will
!    moderate it, a call for votes may be posted to news.announce.newgroups and
!    any other groups or mailing lists that the original call for discussion
     might have been posted to. There should be minimal delay between the
***************
*** 81,82
     group proposal, that a vote is in progress on it, and how to cast a vote.

--- 84,89 -----
     group proposal, that a vote is in progress on it, and how to cast a vote.
+    It is permitted to post a "mass acknowledgement" in which all the names
+    of those from whom votes have been received are posted, as long as no
+    indication is made of which way anybody voted until the voting period
+    is officially over.

***************
*** 92,94
     a different moderated/unmoderated status or (if moderated) a different
!    moderator.

--- 99,101 -----
     a different moderated/unmoderated status or (if moderated) a different
!    moderator or set of moderators.

!    which the original call for votes was posted.

--- 112,115 -----
     the vote tally and the E-mail addresses and (if available) names of the
!    votes received to news.announce.newgroups and any other groups or mailing
!    lists to which the original call for votes was posted.

***************
*** 118,120
     or by the system administrator on the vote-taker's machine. If this
!    option is not available, then the vote-taker may send mail to
     "newgroup@ncar.ucar.edu" saying that a successful vote has been run

--- 125,127 -----
     or by the system administrator on the vote-taker's machine. If this
!    option is not available, then the vote-taker should send mail to
     "newgroup@ncar.ucar.edu" saying that a successful vote has been run
***************
*** 121,124
     and requesting that a newgroup message be sent. DO NOT send the vote
!    results; we can look those up in news.groups if we haven't seen them
!    there already. In any case, please send mail to Gene Spafford
     (spaf@purdue.edu) informing him of a successful vote, so he can add the

--- 128,131 -----
     and requesting that a newgroup message be sent. DO NOT send the vote
!    results; we can look those up in news.announce.newgroups if we haven't seen

spaf@cs.purdue.EDU (Gene Spafford) (10/17/89)

This posting contains a listing of differences between the version of
the article (referenced in the "Subject:" line) just posted to the
news.announce.newusers group, and the version posted a few weeks ago.
It is intended to enable experienced users to track changes to the
regularly posted Usenet documents.

*** /tmp/fo123007	Tue Oct 17 00:32:13 1989
--- /tmp/fo223007	Tue Oct 17 00:32:14 1989
***************
*** 5,7
! [Most recent change: 3  Sep 1989 by woods@ncar.ucar.edu (Greg Woods)]

! [Most recent change: 10 Oct 1989 by spaf@cs.purdue.edu (Gene Spafford)]

*** 73,75

! 2) The voting period should last for at least 30 days, no matter what the
     preliminary results of the vote are. The exact date that the voting period

! 2) The voting period should last for at least 21 days, no matter what the