[news.groups] Sci.aquaria vote in violation of the rules?

gsmith@garnet.berkeley.edu (Gene W. Smith) (10/17/89)

In article <8307@medusa.cs.purdue.edu>, spaf@cs (Gene Spafford) writes:

>The Discussion

>2) The discussion period should last for at least two weeks (14
>days), and no more than 30 days.

>3) The name and charter of the proposed group and whether it will
>be moderated or unmoderated (and if the former, who the
>moderator(s) will be) should be determined during the discussion
>period. If there is no general agreement on these points among
>the proponents of a new group at the end of 30 days of
>discussion, the discussion should be taken offline (into mail
>instead of news.groups) and the proponents should iron out the
>details among themselves.  Once that is done, a new, more
>specific proposal may be made, going back to step 1) above.

  As was pointed out on news.announce.newgroups, the call for
votes is in violation of points 2 and 3 above. I don't think the
net should regard itself as bound in any way by the vote, even if
positive. Why not just not send any newgroup message, and thus
end it?
--
ucbvax!garnet!gsmith    Gene Ward Smith/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720
ucbvax!bosco!gsmith            "When Ubizmo talks, people listen."

In article <1989Oct17.060301.1344@agate.berkeley.edu> gsmith@garnet.berkeley.edu (Gene W. Smith) writes:

>  As was pointed out on news.announce.newgroups, the call for
>votes is in violation of points 2 and 3 above. I don't think the
>net should regard itself as bound in any way by the vote, even if
>positive. Why not just not send any newgroup message, and thus
>end it?

I don't mean to be rude, but are you out of your mind?

Shortening the aqauria discussion is a blessing from the Lord, and I
don't even believe in Him!

Note also that these are not votes, and even a perfectly conducted
one is not binding on the net in any way.