[news.groups] Proposal for changes to the newsgroup creation guidlines.

sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (10/16/89)

Hi All,

I would like to propose a change to the voting guidelines currently being
used in the group creation process.  As we have seen several times, chosing
the name for a proposed group can be difficult.  The following procedure,
which I first proposed in <14035.2530882d@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, will help
alleviate naming problems in the group creation process. I propose that we
amend the group creation guidelines as follows.

===================== START OF PROPOSED REVISIONS =========================
The Vote

1) AFTER the discussion period, if it has been determined that a new
   group is really desired, a charter is agreed upon, and it has been
   determined whether the group will be moderated and if so who will
   moderate it, a call for votes may be posted to news.announce.newgroups
   and any other groups or mailing lists that the original call for
   discussion might have been posted to. ... [no further changes.]

2) [no changes]

3) [no changes]

4) [no changes]

5) Votes should be cast for or against any name for the proposed group that the
   voter deems appropriate.  Multiple votes from the same voter are allowed as
   as long each vote is for a unique name for the group.  Acceptable votes
   will consist of a newsgroup name and an indication of whether or not the
   voter is for or against that particular name.  Newsgroup names may use the
   character "*" as a wildcard to indicate portions of the name which do not
   matter to the voter. For example, "* YES" would indicate that the voter
   favors creation of the group no matter what the name. Unambiguous statements
   of "wildcard" group names are allowed, for example, "any group in the sci
   hierarchy should be created" would be the same as "sci.* yes."

6) [no changes]

7) Counting the votes may be done as follows.  First, translate all
   unambiguous votes to a format like:

      group.name_or_wildcard yes_or_no voter_name <voter.address>

   Then sort the list by group name, eliminating any duplicates.

   Finally, construct a table of all specific group names in the vote list.
   Following the group name in this table, put the number of specific votes
   for and against that name, counting any matching wildcards.  For example:

      group.name1 yes voter1 <voter1.address>
      group.*     yes voter2 <voter2.address>
      *           no  voter3 <voter3.address>

   would count as 2 YES and 1 NO votes for group.name1. Wildcard votes that
   include other names specified by the *same* voter, for example:

      group.*    yes voter <voter.address>
      group.name yes voter <voter.address>

   should be considered as duplicates and not counted as multiple votes for
   group.name.  The example:

      group.*     yes voter <address>
      group.name1 no  voter <address>

   is not ambiguous, and would count as a NO vote for group.name1, and as
   a YES vote for any other group.* possibility.

   The final table of votes will be something like:

                          YES                   NO
      group.name1  number_of_yes_votes   number_of_no_votes.
      group.name2  number_of_yes_votes   number_of_no_votes.

   This table will be used to decide whether or not the group should be
   created and what name should be used.

The Result

1) At the completion of the 30 day voting period, the vote taker must post
   the vote table constructed above, the list of voters and their votes to
   news.announce.newgroups and any other groups or mailing lists to which the
   original call for votes was posted.

2) [no change]

3) AFTER the waiting period, and if there were no serious objections that might
   invalidate the vote, then the result of the vote may me analyzed.  Any
   specific group name which received fewer then 100 more YES than NO votes
   will not be considered for creation.  If no name receives 100 more YES than
   NO votes, then no group should be created.

   If only one specific name receives 100 more YES than NO votes, then the
   group will be created using that name.  If more than one specific name
   receives 100 more YES than NO votes, then the name with the highest
   percentage of YES votes will be created.
   [no further changes.]
=============================== END OF PROPOSED REVISIONS =====================

Please keep in mind that this is just a proposal. I welcome any comment
anyone has to make.
--
USmail: Bob Sloane, University of Kansas Computer Center, Lawrence, KS, 66045
E-mail: sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu, sloane@ukanvax.bitnet, AT&T: (913)864-0444

kayvan@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Kayvan Sylvan) (10/16/89)

I'm in favor of Bob Sloane's proposed changes to the newsgroup
creation charter. It seems like it would easily take care of both the
voting and the naming issues simultaneously.

Most of the vote tabulation could be automated (a perl script would
probably do).

By the way, on the aquaria debate:

	sci.* NO
	rec.aquari* YES

			---Kayvan
--
Kayvan Sylvan @ Transact Software, Inc. -*-  Los Altos, CA (415) 961-6112
Internet: kayvan@Transact.COM -*- UUCP: ...!{apple,pyramid,mips}!mrspoc!kayvan

bbc@nysa.rice.edu (Benjamin Chase) (10/17/89)

Bob Sloane <sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> presents a proposal:

>5) Votes should be cast [using wildcards]

>7) Counting the votes may be done as follows...

>Please keep in mind that this is just a proposal. I welcome any comment
>anyone has to make.

Well, you asked for comments, and mine is that your wildcards were too
complex.  I'll admit your scheme is concise, but IMHO is too confusing
for many users.  (Just as "IMHO" and similar abbreviations are concise
but confusing to USENET novices.)  A user-interface expert (such as
the guy with whom I share an office) would say that your wildcard
specifications are "too unixy".  Perhaps you've been using Unix and
its syntax for regular expressions for so long that you don't even see
this possibility?

Certainly it is pleasing to some people, such as those who like
mathematical puzzles, to produce the shortest ballot possible.  But if a
person is only voting once, how much economy is really derived from this,
and how sure can a voter be that she's actually said what she meant?

From a personal letter that Bob <SLOANE@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> sent me:
> How do I vote against any group in the sci hierarchy and for any group
> in the rec hierarchy?  I assume the call for votes would have to list all
> the possible group names.  What if I want to vote for some other name?
> It seems simpler to me to say:
>
> sci.* no
> rec.* yes
>
> rather than give a list of 10 possibilities.  In the current sci.aquaria
> debate, the suggestions that I remember were:
>
> [list deleted, but presented below]
>
> Suppose I just want a group created, and don't care about the name.  Do I
> list all of these?

To the last question, I say "yes".  In the modern world of software, I
wouldn't type in the list of candidates, but just clip it out of one
letter, drop it in another, and edit it a little.

Let's compare two other schemes.  First, the ballot elided above, written
in Alien Wells' style:

	sci.aquaria		no
	sci.bio.aquaria		no
	sci.aquarium		no
	sci.bio.aquarium	no
	sci.aquariums		no
	sci.bio.aquariums	no
	rec.aquaria		yes
	rec.aquarium		yes
	rec.aquariums		yes
	rec.pets.aquaria	yes
	rec.pets.aquarium	yes
	rec.pets.aquariums	yes
	rec.pets.fish		yes

This ballot was not too tough to complete, and very obvious in meaning.
Alien has already outlined ways in which ballots of this type would be
tabulated.  I leave the nits, complaints, and implementation details to
him.

Next, I offer the same ballot, cast according to a preferential scheme.
In this system, the choices are reordered by the voter in order of her
preference, most preferred first.  This scheme would be an excellent
choice for the current quandary over alt.aquaria's new name, since it
allows many names to be considered in a single vote, and allows the voters
to rank them in that single vote.  One assumption is that the voter
actually has fine-grained opinions about each choice.  Note that an extra
choice, "none-of-the-below", is added to the list of candidates to
indicate the voter's distaste for all the names that follow it on the
list.  The ordering of the candidates that fall below "none-of-the-below"
is unimportant.

	rec.aquaria
	rec.aquarium
	rec.aquariums
	rec.pets.aquaria
	rec.pets.fish
	rec.pets.aquarium
	rec.pets.aquariums
	none-of-the-below
	sci.aquaria
	sci.bio.aquaria
	sci.aquarium
	sci.bio.aquarium
	sci.aquariums
	sci.bio.aquariums

Now, I haven't worked out all the details of this, but...

After collecting the preferential ballots, tally them according to
their first choice.  Next, iteratively throw out the lowest
vote-winner (that is, the "loser"), redistributing its votes to the
other candidates, according to the next highest choices on the ballots
of that loser.

Special treatment is needed for "none-of-the-below" (or whatever you want
to call it.  I chose that name to make sense from the voter's point of
view.).  During the iteration mentioned above, this candidate should not
have its votes redistributed to other candidates, even if it is
(currently) the lowest vote-getter.  It can never "lose".  Instead,
"none-of-the-below" should be passed over, allowing it to accumulate
votes, and the next lowest vote-getter should be picked instead.  The
total votes received by "none-of-the-below" represents the number of
voters who consider all the remaining candidates unacceptable.

Thus, if rec.aquaria where the loser in the first round, all the votes
for rec.aquaria would be redistributed.  The above ballot would be
counted towards the total for rec.aquarium.  If that candidate were to
lose later in the tallying, the above ballot would be counted for
rec.aquariums.  If all the choices that appear above
"none-of-the-below" lose, the above ballot would be counted as a veto
on the creation of the new group.

The process stops when one candidate attains a particular victory
condition.  If the winning candidate is "none-of-the-below", no group
is created.  Possible victory conditions might be:
	1) majority of votes cast
	2) majority, coupled with a certain margin over "none-of-the-above"
	3) a certain percentage margin over all the other candidates
	4) ?
I leave the choice of the victory conditions to the more experienced
members of news.groups.

Results of voting should include the order in which losers were thrown
out, and the number of votes gained by all candidates remaining when
the winner achieved victory.  To be thorough, one could also report
where each person's vote ended up, allowing each voter to verify that
their ballot had been followed correctly.

Note that this voting scheme allows write-ins, and that reporting the
losers in the final results gives the write-ins visibility.  If no name
wins the vote, perhaps the write-ins could be required choices on any
subsequent vote for the proposed group.

So, does anyone have opinions on _this_ scheme?
--
	Ben Chase <bbc@rice.edu>, Rice University, Houston, Texas

tar@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu (Tim Ramsey) (10/18/89)

In the referenced article, Benjamin Chase <bbc@rice.edu> writes:
>Bob Sloane <sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> presents a proposal:

[ ... ]

>                                   A user-interface expert (such as
>the guy with whom I share an office) would say that your wildcard
>specifications are "too unixy".  Perhaps you've been using Unix and
>its syntax for regular expressions for so long that you don't even see
>this possibility?

Pardon me as I add to the noise here, but I had to chuckle over this.
Kuhub is a VMS system, and Bob is the resident VMS guru.  "Too unixy?"
VMS?  Ha!

(followups to alt.religion.computers :-)

--
Whatever happened to Abba?         Dept. of Computing and Information Sciences
BITNET:   tar@KSUVAX1              Kansas State University, Manhattan KS 66506

[modified STV counting scheme]

> So, does anyone have opinions on _this_ scheme?

I do. I like it better than any of the modified STV counting schemes I've
come up with, but I still prefer Alien Wells's "vote often" scheme to any
of them. It's got most of the advantages to STV, but is simple enough that
it's worth using for most votes.
--
Peter da Silva, *NIX support guy @ Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
Biz: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. Fun: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com. `-_-'

sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (10/18/89)

In article <BBC.89Oct17025321@nysa.rice.edu>, bbc@nysa.rice.edu
 (Benjamin Chase) writes:
> Bob Sloane <sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> presents a proposal:
>
>>5) Votes should be cast [using wildcards]
>
>>7) Counting the votes may be done as follows...
>
>>Please keep in mind that this is just a proposal. I welcome any comment
>>anyone has to make.
>
> Well, you asked for comments, and mine is that your wildcards were too
> complex.  I'll admit your scheme is concise, but IMHO is too confusing
> for many users.  (Just as "IMHO" and similar abbreviations are concise
> but confusing to USENET novices.)  A user-interface expert (such as
> the guy with whom I share an office) would say that your wildcard
> specifications are "too unixy".  Perhaps you've been using Unix and
> its syntax for regular expressions for so long that you don't even see
> this possibility?

Hmmm.  I specifically allowed for english language voting in the procedure I
wrote up.  Perhaps I didn't make that clear.  The vote:

"I think that any sci group should not be created, but vote FOR any rec group."

would be OK.  How is this too "unixy?"  I fully intended to make it as easy as
possible to cast votes for the name the voter likes best.  If the voter can't
make a clear statement about what he/she wants to vote for/against, then
perhaps he/she should think about it some more.

> Let's compare two other schemes.  First, the ballot elided above, written
> in Alien Wells' style:
>
> 	sci.aquaria		no
> 	sci.bio.aquaria		no
> 	sci.aquarium		no
> 	sci.bio.aquarium	no
> 	sci.aquariums		no
> 	sci.bio.aquariums	no
> 	rec.aquaria		yes
> 	rec.aquarium		yes
> 	rec.aquariums		yes
> 	rec.pets.aquaria	yes
> 	rec.pets.aquarium	yes
> 	rec.pets.aquariums	yes
> 	rec.pets.fish		yes

This would also be a valid vote in my scheme.  I never said that you HAD to
use wildcards, just that you could if you wanted.  The only real difference
between my scheme and Alien's is that I allow the voter to write in group
names, and allow (NOT require) a more concise way of specifying the votes.

>[much about a preferential scheme of voting deleted]
> After collecting the preferential ballots, tally them according to
> their first choice.  Next, iteratively throw out the lowest
> vote-winner (that is, the "loser"), redistributing its votes to the
> other candidates, according to the next highest choices on the ballots
> of that loser.

I am not sure I understand how this works.  Suppose the vote counter decides
to count votes for sci.fish first, and that group passes.  Can the vote taker
stop there and announce that sci.fish has passed?  I guess I just don't
understand "tally them accourding to their first choice." Does this mean that
you count the votes as if only the first name in the list counted?  If so,
then how do you "throw out the lowest vote-winner?"  How is this proposal
different than Single Transferable Vote?  Could you supply some sample votes
and how to count them?

> The process stops when one candidate attains a particular victory
> condition.  If the winning candidate is "none-of-the-below", no group
> is created.  Possible victory conditions might be:
> 	1) majority of votes cast
> 	2) majority, coupled with a certain margin over "none-of-the-above"
> 	3) a certain percentage margin over all the other candidates
> 	4) ?
> I leave the choice of the victory conditions to the more experienced
> members of news.groups.

It sounds to me as if the vote taker has quite a bit of leeway in deciding
what the group name will be, simply by picking in what order to try the votes.
The problem with the current scheme is that many people don't care about the
name at all, and just vote YES for any group at all. I suspect that there
would be enough of these "any name" votes to pass just about any group. In the
aquaria debate, the vote taker would start out with sci.aquaria (assuming that
was his/her personal favorite) and if it passed, stop counting, even though
rec.guppies (or whatever, I'm trying not to offend anyone here :-) got more
yes and fewer no votes.
--

bbc@titan.rice.edu (Benjamin Chase) (10/19/89)

Bob Sloane <sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> writes:

>Hmmm.  I specifically allowed for english language voting in the procedure I
>wrote up.  Perhaps I didn't make that clear.  The vote:
>	"I think that any sci group should not be created,
>	but vote FOR any rec group."
>would be OK.

Well, I know one thing.  _I'm_ not going to write or debug the program that
counts votes.  And I'm not sure I'll ever trust it.

>> Let's compare two other schemes.  First, the ballot elided above, written
>> in Alien Wells' style:
	[...]

>This would also be a valid vote in my scheme.  I never said that you HAD to
>use wildcards, just that you could if you wanted.  The only real difference
>between my scheme and Alien's is that I allow the voter to write in group
>names, and allow (NOT require) a more concise way of specifying the votes.

Ok.  Great.

>>[much about a preferential scheme of voting deleted]
>I am not sure I understand how this works.

Nope, you're missing it.  Apparently, I need to construct a more
elaborate example.

> How is this proposal different than Single Transferable Vote?

I'm not sure that it is, or in what way it might be.  I missed that
discussion, but from vague remarks made recently, I think that STV may
be similar.  Can someone send me a description of it?

> Could you supply some sample votes and how to count them?

I'll hold off on this until I hear what STV is.  It may be instructive
to compare and constrast preferential balloting with STV.
--
	Ben Chase <bbc@rice.edu>, Rice University, Houston, Texas

geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) (10/19/89)

In article <BBC.89Oct17025321@nysa.rice.edu> Benjamin Chase <bbc@rice.edu> writes:
|... the choices are reordered by the voter in order of her
|preference, most preferred first.  This scheme would be an excellent
|choice for the current quandary over alt.aquaria's new name, since it
|allows many names to be considered in a single vote, and allows the voters
|to rank them in that single vote.

|After collecting the preferential ballots, tally them according to
|their first choice.  Next, iteratively throw out the lowest
|vote-winner (that is, the "loser"), redistributing its votes to the
|other candidates, according to the next highest choices on the ballots
|of that loser.

|So, does anyone have opinions on _this_ scheme?

Peter's Single Transferable Vote scheme by any other name ...

--
Geoff Allen
...{uunet|bigtex}!pmafire!geoff

SLOANE@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Bob Sloane) (10/19/89)

I sometimes regret that I didn't pay more attention in that class I took about
writing, because I seem to have a hard time getting my point across.  Let me
try one more time.

When we are deciding on whether or not to create a group, we need to decide
two things. First, we need to decide if there is any interest in discussing
the subject, and second we need to decide where to put the group in the news
hierarchy.  As we have seen in the (sci|rec).[pets.](aquaria|fish) case, the
current voting mechanism doesn't really work well.  It answers the first
question, but not the second.

When we call for votes there are two different groups of people likely to
submit votes.  The first group, and IMHO the largest, just wants to discuss
the topic, and doesn't really care about the name.  The second group has
nothing against the topic, but favors putting the group in the news hierarchy
in a particular place. Of course some people will be members of both groups.
What I tried to do was come up with a voting mechanism that worked for both
groups. It seems to me that the other proposals leaves one or the other group
of people out.

Take STV.  As I understand STV, the people that just want the group created
would have to vote for ALL of the possible names for the group to express what
they want. This means that there is a large body of voters that are voting for
EVERY name.  Suppose I am the vote taker for a new group to discuss lithuanian
sheepdogs.  I want it to be in the sci hierarchy.  I will just count the vote
for sci.lith-dogs first, and it will probably pass because of the large vote
from those who don't care about the name. This defeats the second purpose of
the vote, determining the name, and sort of makes the votes from the people
who care about the name meaningless.

Alien's proposal is very similar to mine, in that he would allow yes or no
votes for each of several possible names.  The basic difference between the
two schemes is that he requires a specific list of group names, while I would
allow voting for or against hierarchies. His scheme seems to require a
predefined list of group names, since the voters need to know ALL the possible
names to vote for or against.  A stubborn group proposer could just issue a
call for votes for the group name he or she wanted, for example a call for
votes on sci.aquaria (semi-moderated.)  Of course, this vote would probably
fail (I have already mailed my no vote), but it would waste time and effort,
and wouldn't really be much different from the current scheme.  What would we
do, declare the vote invalid because it didn't specify enough names?  Doesn't
sound practical to me.

My proposal differs from Aliens proposal in that I want to allow write-in
votes.  Really, that is the only thing I want to add to his proposal.  It does
complicate things a bit, because people that want to vote against a
particlular hierarchy can't give a specific list of group to vote against.
That is why I have "wildcard" votes, ie votes against a CLASS of groups,
rather than a specific name.  I admit that it is more work for the vote taker,
but I have already volunteered to run votes for anyone who asks, so anyone who
doesn't want the extra work can avoid it.  No, I wouldn't write a program to
parse votes in english, I would read them, and translate them myself to use
all the funny "*" characters. All the voters would have to do is tell me
CLEARLY what they were for or agains.  I might or might not write a program to
tabulate the translated votes, but I suspect that it wouldn't be too hard to
write. I would present the results in the same form as Alien's vote, ie a
table of all of the specific name voted on, and the yes/no totals for each.

Hopefully, this is a little clearer.  I don't really think what I am proposing
is very complicated. After all, I understand it. :-)
--
USmail: Bob Sloane, University of Kansas Computer Center, Lawrence, KS, 66045
E-mail: sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu, sloane@ukanvax.bitnet, AT&T: (913)864-0444
 "The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed
             entirely of lost airline luggage." -- Mark Russell

bbc@titan.rice.edu (Benjamin Chase) (10/20/89)

SLOANE@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Bob Sloane) writes:

First off, Peter da Silva has informed me that the "preferential
voting" that I proposed is the same as STV, which is the same as the
Australian System.

> As I understand STV, the people that just want the group created would
> have to vote for ALL of the possible names for the group to express
> what they want. This means that there is a large body of voters that
> are voting for EVERY name.

Yes.  Every name (except write-ins), should appear on the ballot
submitted with the call for votes.  Voting is done by reordering these
names.  This shouldn't be too arduous, if the voter's mail software
cooperates with a text editor.

> Suppose I am the vote taker for a new group to discuss lithuanian
> sheepdogs.  I want it to be in the sci hierarchy.  I will just count
> the vote for sci.lith-dogs first, and it will probably pass because of
> the large vote from those who don't care about the name.

No, you can't do that.  As the vote taker, you have no control over
the outcome, once you get down to tallying votes.  The voting is
deterministic at that point.  Clearly, an example is needed (please
forgive any mistakes):

Sample ballot:
	sci.lith-dogs
	rec.sheep-dogs.lith
	rec.pets.dogs.sheep.lith
	none-of-the-below

Victory conditions: A single candidate receives twice as many votes
	as any of the other candidates not yet thrown out.
	(Fairly harsh, but it will improve the instructive qualities
	of my example.)

Voting community (it is important to inject humor into such dry postings):
A  lazy voter who wants the group
B  rec group proponent, deep hierarchy advocate
C  Richard Sexton :-)
D  Someone trying and failing to be cute, but who wants the group
E  rec group proponent, who doesn't think sheep-dogs are pets
F  Person who wants the group, but is in Lithuania, which only gets rec
G  Person who wants the group, but thinks lith-dog might make some people
   think of dogs made of lithium, especially if it's in sci, where people
   talk about lithium a lot. (cf sci.physics.fusion)
H  Me

Votes:

A					B
sci.lith-dogs				rec.pets.dogs.sheep.lith
rec.sheep-dogs.lith			rec.sheep-dogs.lith
rec.pets.dogs.sheep.lith		none-of-the-below
none-of-the-below			sci.lith-dogs

C					D
sci.lith-dogs				misc.sheep-dogs.lith	; A write-in
none-of-the-below			rec.pets.dogs.sheep.lith
rec.pets.dogs.sheep.lith		rec.sheep-dogs.lith
rec.sheep-dogs.lith			sci.lith-dogs
					none-of-the-below

E					F
rec.sheep-dogs.lith			rec.sheep-dogs.lith
none-of-the-below			rec.pets.dogs.sheep.lith
rec.pets.dogs.sheep.lith		none-of-the-below
sci.lith-dogs				sci.lith-dogs

G					H
rec.pets.dogs.sheep.lith		sci.lith-dogs
rec.sheep-dogs.lith			rec.pets.dogs.sheep.lith
none-of-the-below			rec.sheep-dogs.lith
sci.lith-dogs				none-of-the-below

Tallying:

First, tally all first-choice votes (the one listed first by each voter).

			First Round
	sci.lith-dogs			3
	rec.pets.dogs.sheep.lith	2
	rec.sheep-dogs.lith		2
	misc.sheep-dogs.lith		1

Predictably, the write-in gleans the lowest number of (first-choice)
votes, so it is chosen as the loser.  Taking all the ballots cast for
the losing candidate (ie, Voter D's ballot only), the vote taker
recasts those ballots according to their next most (ie. second-choice
in this case) desired candidate (ie. rec.pets.dogs.sheep.lith).

			Second Round
	sci.lith-dogs			3
	rec.pets.dogs.sheep.lith	3
	rec.sheep-dogs.lith		2

This time, rec.sheep-dogs.lith is on the bottom of the heap.  The vote
taker redistributes the votes of the loser, according to their next
most desired candidates. (ie. E's vote is recast for
"none-of-the-below" and F's vote is recast for
rec.pets.dog.sheep.lith)

			Third Round
	rec.pets.dogs.sheep.lith	4
	sci.lith-dogs			3
	none-of-the-below		1

Next, none-of-the-below would be thrown out, except it represents the
collection of unhappy voters whose voice must be heard.  Instead,
sci.lith-dogs gets the axe.  C's vote is recast for
"none-of-the-below".  A's vote would be recast for
rec.sheep-dogs.lith, but that candidate has already lost.  So, A's
next choice is used, and A's vote is recast for
rec.pets.dogs.sheep.lith.  H's vote is recast for his next choice,
rec.pets.dogs.sheep.lith.

			Final Result
	rec.pets.dogs.sheep.lith	6
	none-of-the-below		2

First things first.  I don't know what is the right thing to do when
two candidates tie for last place in a given round.  I cooked the
previous example so that wouldn't happen.  Choosing one at random, or
allowing the vote taker to pick, would of course not be deterministic.
Perhaps Peter can supply the correct Australian behaviour when this
happens?

The handling of A's ballot may seem odd to some.  A's second choice
was passed over because not enough voters preferred it enough to keep
it in the running.  But if A's ballot were thrown out earlier, and
recast for A's second choice, then that candidate might have survived
longer, or perhaps even won the election.  If A had only known that
sci.lith-dogs was going to eventually lose, perhaps A would have
ranked the candidates differently, bumping other candidates up in the
list of preferences.  This is peculiar, and I don't understand all the
ramifications of this right now.  Perhaps Peter will comment on this
phenomenon?  Does it occur in his STV scheme also?

My example shows that the vote taker has no influence on the outcome,
_once the votes are received_.  However, if the vote taker is allowed
to prepare the ballot, the results can be influenced.  In particular,
lazy voters (or voters that have no preference!), such as voter A, may
not modify the list substantially, thus supporting the vote taker's
preferences.

I suppose different methods of tallying the votes are possible.
Perhaps point values could be assigned to each rank, and the points
for all the occurrences of all the candidates are totalled and the
highest wins.  This is less (conceptually) complicated than the scheme
I showed above.  I'm not sure how the results turn out.  The vote
could still be influenced by careful crafting of the sample ballot
combined with lazy voters.  Also, something would have to be done with
write-in votes.

However, this voting scheme does allow the simultaneous selection of a
name from a list of candidate newsgroups and a vote on its creation.

Actually, I don't give a rat's ass whether or not this proposal is
accepted as the new voting procedure or not.  I bothered to generate
this overly long example in the hopes that it would help people
understand this method of voting.  But I think that while I've been
frank about the pitfalls of preferential voting, Bob Sloane has failed
to mention any detriments that his proposal might have.  I feel like
I'm being sold a used car.  For instance, was it mentioned that people
using wildcard votes might be unwittingly voting for write-in
candidates?  Are there ways to make the ballot simpler for the voter
to understand?  Have you considered using "all" or "any" instead of
"*" to signify a lack of preference?  I've seen "all" used on the net
with that meaning.  Surely you've thought of some of these points?

	Blah, blah, blah,
--
	Ben Chase <bbc@rice.edu>, Rice University, Houston, Texas

sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (10/20/89)

In article <BBC.89Oct20012135@titan.rice.edu>,
 bbc@titan.rice.edu (Benjamin Chase) writes:
>[Excelent example of how STV works deleted...]

Thanks for taking the time to explain.  I think I understand it now.
I still don't quite understand "none of the below."  Is it some sort of NO
vote?

> My example shows that the vote taker has no influence on the outcome,
> _once the votes are received_.  However, if the vote taker is allowed
> to prepare the ballot, the results can be influenced.  In particular,
> lazy voters (or voters that have no preference!), such as voter A, may
> not modify the list substantially, thus supporting the vote taker's
> preferences.

The problem I have with STV is that I suspect that the vast majority of the
voters just don't care what the name is, and just want to vote YES.  How can
they do that without allowing the vote taker to bias the vote by pre-ordering
the list?  STV was developed to elect political candidates, and sort of
assumes that people have a preference between the possible choices.  I don't
believe that is the case in newsgroup votes, at least for most people.

> Actually, I don't give a rat's ass whether or not this proposal is
> accepted as the new voting procedure or not.  I bothered to generate
> this overly long example in the hopes that it would help people
> understand this method of voting.

Thanks.  Your example helped me a lot.

>                                   But I think that while I've been
> frank about the pitfalls of preferential voting, Bob Sloane has failed
> to mention any detriments that his proposal might have.  I feel like
> I'm being sold a used car.  For instance, was it mentioned that people
> using wildcard votes might be unwittingly voting for write-in
> candidates?

But that is the whole point of having wildcard votes, so people CAN vote for
write-in names.  I am really not trying to fool anyone here.  Do you somehow
think that someone who votes "Anything in rec would be fine with me" would
somehow now know that they were voting for rec.pets.aquaria?  I assume the
voters are smarter than that.

>             Are there ways to make the ballot simpler for the voter
> to understand?  Have you considered using "all" or "any" instead of
> "*" to signify a lack of preference?  I've seen "all" used on the net
> with that meaning.  Surely you've thought of some of these points?

I will say this again, because it doens't seem to be getting across.  PEOPLE
DON'T HAVE TO USE * OR ANYTHING ELSE!!!!  They can send any anything that they
think the vote counter will understand.  "Sci.ALL" would be a perfectly
legitimate vote.  "I vote for anything in the REC hierarchy" would be great.
I DON'T CARE HOW PEOPLE EXPRESS THEMSELVES, I just want write-in votes
allowed. (Sorry about shouting, but people seem to have focussed on the idea
that voters need a degree in math to send in votes. That isn't at all what I
meant.)

Let me say this one more time and then I will give up.  I think the voters
should choose the name of the group, not the proposer, not a  cabal, the
voters.  Now there are two basic groups of people that vote.  The first group
just wants the group created, and doesn't care what the name is.  This group
would vote yes for misc.einiac.tcp-ip.guppies for the aquaria group, because
they just want to discuss the topic. The second group of people care about the
name and would rather not have the group created if the the name is not
appropiate.  I think both of these groups have valid concerns. I am trying to
figure out a way that both groups can be heard from in a vote.  I would like
to allow people to write in the name of the group. I assume that the people
that don't care about the name will far outnumber the group that cares about
the name, so I am trying to simplify their voting by allowing them to just
vote YES to any group that discusses the topic.  This means that those people
are casting a YES vote for ALL of the names mentioned.  This means that the
group that cares about the name must be able to vote against classes of names,
rather than just being able to vote against specific ones.  That is why I
suggested wildcards.  I think all of these problems are caused by my poor
expression of my idea.  No, I don't expect people to be able to parse BNF
regular expressions, I just expect them to state what they want clearly.
--
USmail: Bob Sloane, University of Kansas Computer Center, Lawrence, KS, 66045
E-mail: sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu, sloane@ukanvax.bitnet, AT&T: (913)864-0444
 "The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed
             entirely of lost airline luggage." -- Mark Russell

I would now prefer that this scheme not be selected, since it's a lot more
complex than Alien Wells' scheme (what's a good name for it? Veto voting?
Vote Often? Multiple Ballot Voting?), but let's answer a few questions.

It's been said that one mark of an expert in a subject is that they tend
to say "I don't know" when they don't know. This, as you will see, makes
me something of a world authority (:->):

In article <BBC.89Oct20012135@titan.rice.edu> Benjamin Chase <bbc@rice.edu> writes:
> First things first.  I don't know what is the right thing to do when
> two candidates tie for last place in a given round.  Perhaps Peter can
> supply the correct Australian behaviour when this happens?

I don't know. I'd say any deterministic technique would be useful. Giving
each 1/2 vote for each second-round ballot they have would be fairer
than alphabetical order or something.

[ vating paradoxes ]
> Does it occur in his STV scheme also?

Every voting scheme can produce what are called "voting paradoxes". Godel's
theorem rules, as usual. See old "Mathematical Games" columns for more
details.

> Perhaps point values could be assigned to each rank, and the points
> for all the occurrences of all the candidates are totalled and the
> highest wins.

This scheme is more prone to voting paradoxes than the STV system.

> But I think that while I've been
> frank about the pitfalls of preferential voting, Bob Sloane has failed
> to mention any detriments that his proposal might have.

It's even more complex than STV, which is already overkill.

Finally, the donkey vote is a problem with all voting systems. In Australia,
the order of candidates is chosen by lot. I believe a similar system is
used in the U.S.

In Australia, each political party figures out the best voting strategy
for their candidates, and hands out sample ballots to people encouraging
to vote the party line. This is usually ineffective, though, and it's
sometimes possible to split the vote by bringing in a candidate you know
is going to lose but will draw votes from your opponent.
--

jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) (10/21/89)

In article <6610@ficc.uu.net>, peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:

> Finally, the donkey vote is a problem with all voting systems. In Australia,
> the order of candidates is chosen by lot. I believe a similar system is
> used in the U.S.

In some instances - for instance, Houston city elections (which
are  nonpartisan).  In many States of our Union, tho, each party
is assigned a line on the ballot in the same order in which they
finished in the last gubernatorial voting.

Thus, Texas would be, in 1990,

Republican
Democratic
Libertarian

whereas New York might be

Democratic
Republican
Conservative
Right to Life
Liberal
Libertarian
Socialist
Socialist Workers
Populist
Socialist Labor
American
New Alliance
Consitution

or however they placed in the last go-round.

I'm not sure how referenda are ordered, but often it's up to the
elections authorities.   For instance,  California authorities
deliberately assigned the Jarvis-Gann tax relief measure the
number 13 in 1978, hoping superstition would doom the proposal.
It passed, thus temporarily ending the shocking rate of 7,000
homes *a month* being lost due to owner inability to pay
property taxes.

If order on the ballot is going to be a major factor in these
various proposals for Usenet referenda, it might be a good
idea to decide upon a formula before the first vote is taken,
thus eliminating yet another source of controversy.

Jeff Daiell

PS - If you don't think ballot order is important in public
elections ... in 1982, the Harris County (Houston, Texas)
School Board *canceled* an election because a Libertarian
had gotten first place on the ballot in one of the
two Board races slated for that year.  Winning that seat
would have given LPers a majority, and the Board's
bureaucracy couldn't handle the thought of losing their
gravy train (they spent millions per year despite having
no schools!)

--

                My vocabulary can beat up your vocabulary.

bbc@eunomia.rice.edu (Benjamin Chase) (10/21/89)

sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

>In article <BBC.89Oct20012135@titan.rice.edu>,
> bbc@titan.rice.edu (Benjamin Chase) writes:
>>[Excelent example of how STV works deleted...]

>I will say this again, because it doens't seem to be getting across.  PEOPLE
>DON'T HAVE TO USE * OR ANYTHING ELSE!!!!  They can send any anything that they
>think the vote counter will understand.

Oww!  Stop shouting, you're hurting my eyes!  You've pounded it into
my thick skull, ok?  A thousand pardons for forgetting that the voters
use whatever they want, and you translate it into your representation.

But, I think Greg Woods has got your number, in his article titled
"These new voting schemes" <4771@ncar.ucar.edu>.  Votes in plain
English may sometimes be ambiguous, and you require us to trust the
vote taker to translate them faithfully.  Also, it is difficult to
verify the results of votes conducted under your scheme.

>Thanks for taking the time to explain.  I think I understand it now.
>I still don't quite understand "none of the below."  Is it some sort of NO
>vote?

Yes.  I added it to the simpler form of preferential voting.  Without
a name like "none of the below" on the ballot, there is no good way
for a voter to say "whoa, I really don't like any of the rest of these
names."  In its simple form, preferential voting _will_ select a
candidate as the winner.  Clearly, this is not what we want for
newsgroup selections.

The best way to understand "none of the below" is to look at it from
the voter's point of view.  I designed it to make sense from that
point of view, not from the vote taker's.  I think most of your
difficulties in understanding my scheme have been caused by looking at
it as a vote taker.  The voter places at the top of her list the
candidate she wants most.  She puts her second choice second,
indicating that if her first choice can't win, that she would like to
cast her vote for her second choice, and so on.  At some point, her
next choice of a candidate, is "none of the below".  I suppose we
could also call this choice "I prefer having no group to having a
group named any of the following:", if that would improve her
understanding any.

> I assume the voters are smarter than [to use wildcards without realizing
> that they might be voting for write-ins].

This, in my opinion, is a bad assumption.
--
	Ben Chase <bbc@rice.edu>, Rice University, Houston, Texas
	(First one up against the wall when the fish police arrived.)