[news.groups] Newsgroups in Europe - a correction

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (10/18/89)

>I wrote:
>\... (rec, for example doesn't go to Holland).

And was then proven wrong by somebody in Holland doing:

>% grep rec\\\. /usr/spool/news/lib/active | sort

I though I had worded that ``... holland *for the most part* doesn't get rec''
but aparantly I didn't. At any rate they seem to get 38 out of 76 rec groups.

[list deleted]

>rec.games.vectrex 00136 00136 y

Worldwide there are appx. 230,000 vectrix machines but 65 million
aquriums.

Wierd.

--
            Help wipe out BBQ lighter fluid in your lifetime
richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV

geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) (10/19/89)

In article <21035@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:

[excerpt from a list of rec.* groups which go to Holland]
>>rec.games.vectrex 00136 00136 y
>
>Worldwide there are appx. 230,000 vectrix machines but 65 million
>aquriums.
>
>Wierd.

What's so wierd?  This is a good indication that Europe *would* carry
rec.aquaria.  Looks like you just killed your `weighing argument' for
sci.aquaria.

--
Geoff Allen
...{uunet|bigtex}!pmafire!geoff

pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) (10/21/89)

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:

>I though I had worded that ``... holland *for the most part* doesn't get rec''
>but aparantly I didn't. At any rate they seem to get 38 out of 76 rec groups.

This is going to change. Recently a checkgroup control message with
distribution eunet was received here. I contained ALL rec, soc, alt,
and talk groups, plus bit, biz, and pubnet groups which previously
did not come to Europe at all.

This is a result of the replacement of mcvax by mcsun, which has
a much larger CPU and disk capacity.

Too bad I still am dependent of an American site for the u3b groups :-(
--
Pim Zandbergen                                 internet : pim@cti-software.nl
CTI Software BV                                uucp     : ..!uunet!ctisbv!pim