[news.groups] earthquake

wagoner@maxwell.physics.purdue.edu (Ralph A. Wagoner) (10/19/89)

On what news group can I find information about the earthquake in
California? Or in general, information about natural events that
occur?

                                             - Ralph

In article <2655@pur-phy> wagoner@maxwell.physics.purdue.edu.UUCP (Ralph A. Wagoner) writes:
>On what news group can I find information about the earthquake in
>California? Or in general, information about natural events that
>occur?
>
>                                             - Ralph

I am now feeding ClariNet's UPI newsgroup on earthquakes into the group
biz.clarinet.sample.   This group is freely redistributable within USENET.

If you're on the internet, for example, and you don't already get biz, you
can probably pick up a live feed from any number of different sites who
feed quickly.  We feed into UUNET on a regular basis, and it feeds many other
sites.

Regional earthquake stories have also been enabled for that group.

If you get a fast feed, you should get detailed news well in advance of
the newspapers.  Best of luck to bay area folks.

This is, of course, free.  I know people are hungry for info on this
event.

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (10/20/89)

In <35907@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
>I am now feeding ClariNet's UPI newsgroup on earthquakes into the group
>biz.clarinet.sample.   This group is freely redistributable within USENET.
>
>If you're on the internet, for example, and you don't already get biz ...

This is a great service that Brad is providing, and I certainly don't
intend to denigrate it in any way, but I should point out that the
prevailing wisdom among NSFNet HQ in Washington, DC, and at the NNTP
BOF in June Usenix was that it is not appropriate to send the "biz" group
over the NSFNet backbone.

Please note the large use of generalities; it's deliberate -- the whole
issue is VERY fuzzy, and will remain so for quite some time.
	/R$
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.
Use a domain-based address or give alternate paths, or you may lose out.

dalex@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Dave Alexander) (10/20/89)

In article <2655@pur-phy>
      wagoner@maxwell.physics.purdue.edu.UUCP (Ralph A. Wagoner) writes:

> On what news group can I find information about the earthquake in
> California?

rec.sport.baseball.  I thought it would be obvious.

                                 -- Dave Alexander

--
"I'm afraid it's grim news, Sandy - the Vice-Consul
 intends to ban the wearing of wimples after 7:15 PM."

>On what news group can I find information about the earthquake in
>California? Or in general, information about natural events that
>occur?

Earthquake? There was an earthquake in California? When? Where?

--

Chuq Von Rospach <+> Editor,OtherRealms <+> Member SFWA/ASFA
chuq@apple.com <+> CI$: 73317,635 <+> [This is myself speaking]

Trust Mama Nature to remind us just how important things like sci.aquaria's
name really is in the scheme of things.

david@indetech.com (David Kuder) (10/22/89)

In article <2655@pur-phy> wagoner@maxwell.physics.purdue.edu.UUCP (Ralph A. Wagoner) writes:
>On what news group can I find information about the earthquake in
>California? Or in general, information about natural events that
>occur?
>                                             - Ralph

There is a newsgroup ca.earthquakes.  The ca.* groups are California
groups.  ca.earthquakes is where Californians have been known to
discuss earthquakes.  Also misc.misc has had a bunch of S.F. in
the drink noise.  If you want real news about the earthquake pick
up a L.A. Times or a San Jose Mercury-News.
--
David A. Kuder                              Comp.lang.perl, the time is now!
415 438-2003  david@indetech.com  {uunet,sun,sharkey,pacbell}!indetech!david