[news.groups] ``rec.aquarium'' vote is invalid. Ignore it or vote no.

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (10/21/89)

In article <2645@hydra.gatech.EDU> gs26@prism.gatech.EDU (Glenn R. Stone) writes:
>Rarely do I post to this group, but....
>
>In article <21087@gryphon.COM> oleg@gryphon.COM (Oleg Kiselev) writes:
>>In article <8215@cbmvax.UUCP> bryce@commodore.COM (Bryce Nesbitt) writes:
>>>I hereby formally propose a new newsgroup to be called "rec.aquarium".
>>This is a complete idiocy and I appeal to ALL OF YOU (those who are in favour
>>of sci.aquaria or rec.aquaria or misc.aquaria) to vote NO on this attempt of
>>blatant sabotage by someone who does not have any interest in the group or at
>>least ignore it!
>
>Oleg, hush fussing.  The man took the time to take a name survey,
>waited his 14 days (unlike Richard, who saw fit to jump the gun),
>and is posting a perfectly legit request.

Wrong. Richard waited his 14 days. If you'd read the article I posted
on the subject you'd know that people who only read news.announce.newgroups
and not news.groups saw 2 less days of, ahem, discussion. Since
the, ahem, discussion was going nowhere, I decided to just call for the
damn vote and get it over with. I really didn't think any great
resiltion would take place in two days (or two months). I started
the discussion on a monday, and called for votes two Mondays
later.

The man did *not* take a name survey. Nelson Broat did. The winner
was sci.aquaria. Hierarchical preferences aside, the species name
winner was ``aquaria'' not ``aquarium''.

Careful reading of the .aquaria discission will reveal that ``.aquarium''
is considered less than desirable name by the majority and favored
by the two people who thought ``.aquaria'' was some new age magic
stuff. Bryce Nesbitt, who called for the vote on rec.aquarium
was one of these two people.

Is is not a perfectly legit request for these reasons.

Additionally, nobody knows what the outcome of the sci.aquaria
vote will be. One possability is that it may pass but rec.aquaria
will be created.

And ha ben stated previous, Chuq and Nelson have both stated
their intentions to take a vote for rec.aquaria. Both od them
have the good sense and common decency to wait until the
sci.aquaria vote is over, *just to see what happens*.

I join Greg Woods is asking Bryce to reconsider this premature
call for votes, and urge everybody to either ignore it or
vote no. Lets take this a bit slower.

>>There is a real chance that the aquarium scientists will join that group
>
>(much excess flaming about "Real Science" deleted)
>
>USENET isn't just for elite scientists, it's for all us little
>people, too.  Unless someone wants to moderate (and neither party

Look pal. You and Oleg may be short, but I'm not. (TAJS)

>seems to want that), I have the sneaking suspicion that, regardless
>of name, there will be entirely too much of the "gee, nice rocks"
>kind of thing for "Real Science" to take the group seriously.

You can suspect that all you want, but based on past history
of alt.aquria, it's not likeley to be true. Very few poeple
care how pretty the rocks look (they just get covered with
algea anyway (TAJS)), a more pertinent interest is what
the chemical composition of the rocks is.

>>>The name "aquarium" is used for absolute clarity.
>>No, it's chosen out of ignorance!  Aquaria is a PLURAL of aquarium.
>
>You don't have to know Latin to have fishies, Oleg.

Turns out you do. There are so many species of plants
and fishes, that many do not have common (or ``English'')
names and are known soley by their latin names. The common
names don't work across international borders.

Even common names in fairly widespread use cause doubt
and uncertainty. One reaosnably common Cyprinidont is
Fundulopanchax sjoestedti, which has been known for
over 100 years as the ``blue gularis''. At a convention
this summer in Milwaukee I asked a man from Holland
about blue gularis. He looked at me with a puzzled
expression on his face until somebody from England
said ``sjoestedti'' and all was clear.

There are about a dozen fish known as ``red tetra'',
ranging from Cheirodon axelrodi to Petitellia
georgiae.

But, you might say. I only keep sword and platies,
I'm a rank beginner. What kind of platies may be
a reply to a question asked by rank beginner, who
will need to know that they are variatus platies,
as in Xiphopherus variatus.

I'm not trying to give the impresion that all aquarists
go around speaking in latin, but it is very
common to use the latin species name (every living
organism has a Latin or Latinized name. It consists
of two words, the first is the genus name, and is
always capitalized, the second is the species
name and is never capitalized, even when derived
from a proper noun. The international committee
of Zoological Nomenclature keeps track of this stuff)
instead of the common name, or even the whole latin name.

There are entire groups of fishes that don't even have
common names - mbuna, cyprinodonts, dwarf cichlids -
all members of these groups these all go solely by latin names.

If you are talking about more than one of 12 species
of aquatic plants, you'll need to know the latin
name.

So yes, you do need to know some latin.

>Rec is where a group on pet fishies,

Pets has been ruled out, if you've been paying attention.

If I have Fundulopanchax congicum they're pets, but if there's
an exhibit of them in the Steinhart aquarium (at least there
was before tuesday) they're not? Piffle.

I don't buy it. They are no more pets than my orchids are.

>a definite hobby,

As I've said, seemingly twice a day, so is most of comp.

>it will get to Europe,

The ruling I got jut last week from Europe is the same as I've
been getting for 1.5 years from them. Rec.aquaria won't,
sci.aquaria will.

No, I don't believe all .aquaria discusion warrents global
distribition, For that there is Distribution: na. But there
is a class of discussion that does warrent Distribution: world,
and this is the *only* way to acheive it.

>Aquarium makes it crystal clear it's about fish, rather than
>something 60's-newageish.

Oh please. I'd understand if it was ``.aquarius'' instead of
``.aquaria'', but please don't let your ignorance get in the
way of the correct name favored by the majority.

--
                  Surgical tools for mutant women
richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV

mcwill@inmos.co.uk (Iain McWilliams) (10/21/89)

In article <21129@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>In article <2645@hydra.gatech.EDU> gs26@prism.gatech.EDU (Glenn R. Stone) writes:
>>[rec.aquaria] it will get to Europe,
>
>The ruling I got jut last week from Europe is the same as I've
>been getting for 1.5 years from them. Rec.aquaria won't,
>sci.aquaria will.

Can you explain why you believe rec.aquaria will not reach Europe ???
( Who gave the ruling ??? )

The reason I'm asking is because as of 3 weeks ago mcsun is importing
*ALL* newsgroups to Europe. Therefore all newsgroups make it to
Europe and it is then up to each countries' backbone as to what groups
they carry. The UK receives everything bar alt.drugs and alt.sex.

IF some countries are choosing not to carry rec.all because of bandwidth
limitations, then surely that is their right, and should be respected not
short circuited.

Iain.
--
Iain McWilliams     Inmos Ltd, Bristol | EMail(UK) ukc!inmos!mcwill
---------------------------------------|     or    mcwill@inmos.co.uk

A note to people on both sides.  The *guidelines*, as they say themselves,
are just *guidelines*.  Got it?  Good.

As they themselves, say, a "vote" is NOT "invalid" just because it
doesn't follow one or more (or indeed *all*) of the guidelines.  So don't
all get up and shout about it.

The guidelines themselves tell you that it is the spirit of them that
matters, not the letter.   Thus, in a roundabout way, to follow the spirit
and not the letter *is* to follow the letter!

For example, the 14 day suggestion on discussion was put in to give time
for ample discussion and thought.  Even if the votes started 7 days ago,
can anybody here doubt for one second that there has not be more than
ample discussion?

And while there has been no call for discussion on a group rec.aquarium,
can anybody deny that there has been more than ample discussion about
this concept, too?

So please, people, if you posted something about votes being invalid
or violating the guidelines, you were wrong.  Reread the guidelines,
and (I hope) cancel your message.