[news.groups] nothing about anything

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (10/21/89)

In article <1989Oct19.190808.8770@telly.on.ca> evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) writes:
>Canada could have enjoyed: English government,French culture,American know-how;
>Instead we ended up with:  English know-how,French government,American culture.

I was born in the UK, raised in Canada and now live and work (legally, finally)
in the US.

This sort of anti-American sentiment is very chic in Canada. And quite
incorrect.

Evan, you have Canadian goverment, Canadian culture and Canadian know-how.

Intepret that as you will.

--
                  Surgical tools for mutant women
richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV

hb@uvaarpa.virginia.edu (Hank Bovis) (10/21/89)

In article <21151@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>I was born in the UK, raised in Canada and now live and work (legally, finally)
>in the US.
>This sort of anti-American sentiment is very chic in Canada. ...

Ok, one quibble...

I believe it is anti-*U.S.* sentiment that is chic, not anti-American
sentiment.  In fact, one of the complaints seems to be that the U.S.
has "appropriated" the name of two whole continents all to itself.

hb

arromdee@crabcake.cs.jhu.edu (Kenneth Arromdee) (10/22/89)

In article <1164@uvaarpa.virginia.edu> hb@Virginia.EDU (Hank Bovis) writes:
>>This sort of anti-American sentiment is very chic in Canada. ...
>Ok, one quibble...
>I believe it is anti-*U.S.* sentiment that is chic, not anti-American
>sentiment.  In fact, one of the complaints seems to be that the U.S.
>has "appropriated" the name of two whole continents all to itself.

Let's not go through this again.

Nobody complains about the names "Colombia" (or for that matter British
Columbia), a reference to Columbus or "Ecuador" (which means "equator").
Ecuador has appropriated the name of a whole great circle to itself.  Yeah,
right....

Besides, other countries, such as Mexico, also have "United States" in their
names, so always referring to the U.S. be just as bad.

(Note the followup-to line)
--
"The workers ceased to be afraid of the bosses.  It's as if they suddenly
 threw off their chains." -- a Soviet journalist, about the Donruss coal strike

Kenneth Arromdee (UUCP: ....!jhunix!arromdee; BITNET: arromdee@jhuvm;
     INTERNET: arromdee@crabcake.cs.jhu.edu)

learn@igloo.Scum.COM (Bill Haroldmegrhondapooh Vajk) (10/23/89)

In article <1164@uvaarpa.virginia.edu> Hank Bovis moo's:

> Ok, one quibble...

> I believe it is anti-*U.S.* sentiment that is chic, not anti-American
> sentiment.  In fact, one of the complaints seems to be that the U.S.
> has "appropriated" the name of two whole continents all to itself.

Follows right along with the rest of your particular brand of quibbles,
Hank. The name wasn't so much apropriated as assigned by folks who stayed
behind in 'the old country.' Those folks emigrating to Florida, Uruguay said
they were going to Uruguay. And if they announced that the destination was
America, everyone (with limited exceptions of bovine-like folk) KNEW that
The U. S. was the destination. Witness the Central European song of 1906
"My sweetheart went to America." I don't know how to break this news to you,
Hanky, but usually that meant New York City. How come you aren't quibbling
about NYC appropriating the name of an entire hemisphere of continents for
a LONG time ?

Real monolithic mentality, Hanky. The evil patriarchy, the US appropriating
an "inappropriate" name (The United States of America) and dammit, the
Pennsylvania Dutch weren't Dutch at all. Why dontcha work up a list,
"Bovine's Inappropriate." You're already somewhat tied into the right
network to get help.

hb@uvaarpa.virginia.edu (Hank Bovis) (10/23/89)

In article <1359@igloo.Scum.COM> learn@igloo.Scum.COM (Bill Vajk) writes:
>In article <1164@uvaarpa.virginia.edu> Hank Bovis writes:
>> Ok, one quibble... I believe it is anti-*U.S.* ... , not anti-American ...
>... The name wasn't so much apropriated as assigned ...
>[further overreaction to "quibble" deleted]

Sheesh... note the followup line...

hb