[news.groups] Help save "sci.*" from an invasion of hobby oriented talk!

oleg@gryphon.COM (Oleg Kiselev) (10/23/89)

Someone asked me why I conisdered Bryce Nesbitt's "call for votes" an attempt
to sabotage .aquaria by someone who does not have any interest in the
substance of the group.

The article I am following up was posted to SCI.MISC.  Not to news.groups.
Not to alt.aquaria.  Look at the subject line.  Does that look like a posting
of a someone who cares about aquaria as either a hobby, or a science or an
art?  Or an action of a malicious and subversive zealot of the nonexistent
"purity of hierarchy"?

In article <8220@cbmvax.UUCP> bryce@commodore.COM (Bryce Nesbitt) writes:
>A formal propsal has been made to convert the current "alt.aquaria" group
>into "sci.aquaria".   This is a counter-proposal.

It's an attempt to subvert the vote, to interfere and to create even more
chaos than the SCI.AQUARIA proposal has stirred up already.

>The name "rec.aquarium" was chosen for several reasons.

Yes.  Let me enumerate them.  One, you have no interest or understanding of
aquaria, in any form.  What's more, you seem to have an accute hostility
toward the very subject of aquariums.  Why else would you have conveniently
ignored a poll conducted by another person opposed to sci.aquaria creatin,
which conclusively has shown that the name preferred for the groub by an
overwhelming majority was "aquaria", in whatever hierarchy it'd get created?
Two, you are ignorant and not very bright, so the trivial effort of deducing
that the plural of "aquarium" is "aquaria" is beyound you.  Three, you would
dearly love to see the already volatile situation get even worse through the
offering of yet another contentious proposal (outside of the current
SCI.AQUARIA vs. REC.AQUARIA vs. MISC.AQUARIA debate).

>I feel that distribution in "sci" would be inappropriate.

Without any justification, other than your hatered of aquaria and the related
"hobby oriented talk", that sounds like a petty bigotry.

>A rec.aquarium group probably makes sense even if a more technical aquarium
>group is passed.

If any group got created under REC hierarchy, it should definitely not be
"aquarium".  The existing group is names "aquaria", almost all the people
involved in the naming debate agree that it should be "aquaria", the
international usage of the word "aquaria" was what prompted the naming of the
ALT group to begin with!

>Please decide for yourself based on the wealth of opinions
>expressed in news.groups.

Exactly.  Go read the opinions in news.groups and decide for yourself.  But
whatever hierarchy you agree with, please wait for one vote to complete
before another one starts.  And send Bryce Nesbitt a NO vote because (a) he
is being the biggest asshole in this whole affair, (b) because Nesbitt has
blatantly violated voting guidelines, (c) because the other vote has not yet
completed (if it succeeds, what's the point of a duplicate group?  and if it
fails, there will be a proposal for REC.AQUARIA made -- there are at least 3
people aching to do it -- and that will definitely pass; so what's the point
of yet another duplicate group, again?) and (d) because it's "aquarium".
--
			"No regrets, no apologies"   Ronald Reagan

Oleg Kiselev            ARPA: lcc.oleg@seas.ucla.edu, oleg@gryphon.COM
(213)337-5230           UUCP: [world]!{ucla-se|gryphon}!lcc!oleg