[news.groups] it's a prime number

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (10/22/89)

In article <5922@tank.uchicago.edu> matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Matt Crawford) writes:
>Now that at least three people from three different European countries
>have corrected Richard Sexton's misunderstanding about the distribution
>of rec.all, the question is, will he drop his advocacy for the name
>under sci?

That's pretty good Matt. ``I read it on the net so it must be true''

Now, run along and go and do a study of connectivity of newsgroups
in Europe and see if you still feel the same way.

Your report is due in the morning.

--
                  Surgical tools for mutant women
richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV

fr@icdi10.UUCP (Fred Rump from home) (10/23/89)

In article <21177@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>In article <5922@tank.uchicago.edu> matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Matt Crawford) writes:
>>Now that at least three people from three different European countries
>>have corrected Richard Sexton's misunderstanding about the distribution
>>of rec.all, the question is, will he drop his advocacy for the name
>>under sci?
->
->That's pretty good Matt. ``I read it on the net so it must be true''
[facetious comment deleted]
->Your report is due in the morning.

So now we call the respondents from Europe liars? Or are they just imagining
the reception of the entire newsfeed over there?

Just because the European backbones may not distribute everything yet
certainly does not question the fact that all rec.* groups etc are available
to their subscribers - if they want them and are willing to pay for the
privilege.
Fred

--
This is my house.   My castle will get started right after I finish with news.
26 Warren St.             uucp:          ...{bpa dsinc uunet}!cdin-1!icdi10!fr

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (10/25/89)

In article <467@icdi10.UUCP> fr@icdi10.UUCP (Fred Rump from home) writes:
>Just because the European backbones may not distribute everything yet
>certainly does not question the fact that all rec.* groups etc are available
>to their subscribers - if they want them and are willing to pay for the
>privilege.

The distribution was just one aspect of this. You can't possible cater
to all levels of expertise with just one newsgroup, and  decision
was made (no, not just by me) that sci.aquaria was preferable
to the taxanomically abhorrent rec.aquaria.tech.

Many of the votes I get confirm this.