[news.groups] is it recreational or technical ?

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (10/18/89)

In article <2833646442@lewis.crd.ge.com> welty@lewis.crd.ge.com (richard welty) writes:
> rec.autos.tech
  ^^^       ^^^^

Thats what I love about the current namespace. Self contradictory names.

Would it be cleaner to have rec.autos and tech.autos ?

--
            Help wipe out BBQ lighter fluid in your lifetime
richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV

" Maynard) (10/19/89)

In article <21042@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>In article <2833646442@lewis.crd.ge.com> welty@lewis.crd.ge.com (richard welty) writes:
>> rec.autos.tech
>  ^^^       ^^^^
>Thats what I love about the current namespace. Self contradictory names.
>Would it be cleaner to have rec.autos and tech.autos ?

This shows the basic flaw with your arguments against rec.aquaria, and
your insistence on putting it in sci:
Recreation and hobbies does not necessarily mean non-technical.
The name above is not self-contradictory.

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL   | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jay@splut.conmicro.com       (eieio)| adequately be explained by stupidity.

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (10/19/89)

In article <2952@splut.conmicro.com> jay@splut.conmicro.com (Jay "you ignorant splut!" Maynard) writes:
>In article <21042@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>>In article <2833646442@lewis.crd.ge.com> welty@lewis.crd.ge.com (richard welty) writes:
>>> rec.autos.tech
>>  ^^^       ^^^^
>>Thats what I love about the current namespace. Self contradictory names.
>>Would it be cleaner to have rec.autos and tech.autos ?
>
>This shows the basic flaw with your arguments against rec.aquaria, and
>your insistence on putting it in sci:
>Recreation and hobbies does not necessarily mean non-technical.
>The name above is not self-contradictory.

Taxonomically speaking, rec.aquaria.tech is less desirable than
sci.aquaria.

Think about it - rec (it's recreational) aquaria (its about aquatic life)
tech (it's technical in nature).

As opposed to sci (it's highly techncal) aquaria (it's about aquatic life).

When I think rec I think TV and football. I believe that technical
groups in rec as as misplaced as .philosophy is in sci.

I have no doubts that rec.aquaria can pass. There will quite likely
be one, one day. But even putting the distribution aspect aside
and limiting our discourse solely to the North American continent,
my belief in sci.aquaria is unshaken.

Also, it has recently been brought to my attention that when (not if)
the Monteray and Cabrillo aquariums come online it seems more natural
that they would contribute to a sci group than a rec.pets.whales thing.

--

jduston@kitten.prime.com (Jack Duston) (10/19/89)

In article <21042@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>In article <2833646442@lewis.crd.ge.com> welty@lewis.crd.ge.com (richard welty) writes:
>> rec.autos.tech
>  ^^^       ^^^^
>
>Thats what I love about the current namespace. Self contradictory names.

	This comment from someone who has been stating all along that
hobbies can be very technical to support his choice of group hierarchy.

>Would it be cleaner to have rec.autos and tech.autos ?

	Unfortunately, there is no tech.* hierarchy,  so maybe you should
suggest sci.autos.  Rec.autos.tech seems to be a very appropriate name, and
by your own arguments, not contradictory at all.  This is also an
excellent argument for the alt.aquaria to go into rec.aquaria and have
another level for the more technical aspects of the hobby.

BTW- yes I own an aquarium, and before you flame me for not posting to
	alt.aquaria, I would if this site recieved it.  As it is now,
	I only get alt.aquaria articles if they are cross-posted to
	a group that this site does recieve.

People have opinions, Companies have policies!
Jack Duston - a division of Computervision - a division of Prime . . .
		a division of J.H. Whitney . . .     Next?

" Maynard) (10/19/89)

In article <21076@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>When I think rec I think TV and football. I believe that technical
>groups in rec as as misplaced as .philosophy is in sci.

When I think rec I think hobbies. Everyone, yourself included, agrees
that aquaria is a hobby subject. What's the problem? Next, you'll be
proposing sci.ham-radio.

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL   | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jay@splut.conmicro.com       (eieio)| adequately be explained by stupidity.
{attctc,bellcore}!texbell!splut!jay +----------------------------------------
   Send richard@gryphon.com your NO vote on sci.aquaria; it belongs in rec.

In article <21076@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
> When I think rec I think TV and football.

Yes, we know there's a major attitude problem in the United States, with
non-participatory activities chewing up a huge amount of people's free
time. It seems your reaction to this is to classify what you do in your
free time as something other than "recreation". That's a perfectly valid
reaction, but you really shoudl try to limit to your personal life, and
not try to impose it on others.

> Also, it has recently been brought to my attention that when (not if)
> the Monteray and Cabrillo aquariums come online it seems more natural
> that they would contribute to a sci group than a rec.pets.whales thing.

Yes, I look forward to sci.bio.marine and rec.oceanaria.
--
Peter da Silva, *NIX support guy @ Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
Biz: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. Fun: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com. `-_-'

evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) (10/20/89)

Anyone who hasn't written off this whole discussion as totally absurd
must be a glutton for punishment.

In article <21076@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:

>Taxonomically speaking, rec.aquaria.tech is less desirable than
>sci.aquaria.

>Think about it - rec (it's recreational) aquaria (its about aquatic life)
>tech (it's technical in nature).

>As opposed to sci (it's highly techncal) aquaria (it's about aquatic life).

Technical discussions about aquaria are a subset of the total volume of
aquaria-related postings. This is more logically done (and easier to
find for novices) with rec.aquaria.tech being a subset of rec.aquaria.

>When I think rec I think TV and football. I believe that technical
>groups in rec as as misplaced as .philosophy is in sci.

This kind of closed-mindedness about what contitutes a 'recreation'
(or what contitutes philosophy, for that matter) sorta says it all,
doesn't it?

>But even putting the distribution aspect aside
>and limiting our discourse solely to the North American continent,
>my belief in sci.aquaria is unshaken.

How courageous. So what?

>Also, it has recently been brought to my attention that when (not if)
>the Monteray and Cabrillo aquariums come online it seems more natural
>that they would contribute to a sci group than a rec.pets.whales thing.

So if it's rec.* and not sci.* they won't read or post?
This is getting stupider each day.

--
   Evan Leibovitch, Sound Software, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
                 evan@telly.on.ca / uunet!attcan!telly!evan

maart@cs.vu.nl (Maarten Litmaath) (10/20/89)

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
\...
\As opposed to sci (it's highly techncal) aquaria (it's about aquatic life).
                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
No!  It's SCIENCE!
(Don't you give me that capitals stuff.)

\When I think rec I think TV and football.

When I think aquarium I think fish 'n chips.
Come on!

\I believe that technical
\groups in rec as as misplaced as .philosophy is in sci.

Philosophy can be studied at universities: it is considered a science.
I've never heard of an aquarium science...

\... Also, it has recently been brought to my attention that when (not if)
\the Monteray and Cabrillo aquariums come online it seems more natural
\that they would contribute to a sci group than a rec.pets.whales thing.

rec.pets.* would be another wrong name indeed.
--
A symbolic link is a POINTER to a file, | Maarten Litmaath @ VU Amsterdam:
 a hard link is the file system's GOTO. | maart@cs.vu.nl, mcsun!botter!maart

wsinrn@eutrc3.urc.tue.nl (r.nauta) (10/20/89)

In article <2957@splut.conmicro.com> jay@splut.conmicro.com (Jay "you ignorant splut!" Maynard) writes:
>In article <21076@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>>When I think rec I think TV and football. I believe that technical
>>groups in rec as as misplaced as .philosophy is in sci.
>
>When I think rec I think hobbies. Everyone, yourself included, agrees
>that aquaria is a hobby subject. What's the problem? Next, you'll be
>proposing sci.ham-radio.

Hmmm, Richard is almost totally wrong. Half the rec. groups are called rec.arts,
the rest are about computer games. One of them, rec.games.programmer, is a very
scientific group. But please don't put it in sci. Why ? Because I believe rec.
to be a more interesting and valuable domain than sci. I never had any inten-
tions to go and read about how to calculate PI in 1000 decimals, or get bored
to death with physics discussions. Why, the only interesting sci group is
sci.skeptic, and that should be in talk. ...

What do you think of comp.games.* ????

Greetings

Rob

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (10/20/89)

In article <2957@splut.conmicro.com> jay@splut.conmicro.com (Jay "you ignorant splut!" Maynard) writes:

>When I think rec I think hobbies. Everyone, yourself included, agrees
>that aquaria is a hobby subject. What's the problem? Next, you'll be
>proposing sci.ham-radio.

Every day, I hear: ``if it's a hobby, it goes in rec''.

Half of the comp groups cover hobbies - go ahead, TELL ME
people play hack for a living (yeah, *I know* they get paid for it
already).

I've consistently seen more science in talk.origins than sci.bio.

But no, I don't think a ham radio group shoul go in sci. It
should goin tech. Of course at this point I'm trying to figure
out what should go in sci.

--
                  Surgical tools for mutant women
richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV

popeye@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (ken.a.irwin) (10/21/89)

In article <1989Oct19.190808.8770@telly.on.ca>, evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) writes:
> Anyone who hasn't written off this whole discussion as totally absurd
> must be a glutton for punishment.

That discussion belongs in alt.aquaria.bondage or rec.aquaria.funny, lets call
for votes!

> In article <21076@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>
> >Taxonomically speaking, rec.aquaria.tech is less desirable than
> >sci.aquaria.
>
> >Think about it - rec (it's recreational) aquaria (its about aquatic life)
> >tech (it's technical in nature).
>
> >As opposed to sci (it's highly techncal) aquaria (it's about aquatic life).
>
> Technical discussions about aquaria are a subset of the total volume of
> aquaria-related postings. This is more logically done (and easier to
> find for novices) with rec.aquaria.tech being a subset of rec.aquaria.

As opposed to the natural growth group for sci.aquaria catering to guppy and
goldfish: sci.aquaria.non.scientific the perfect self contradicting group (or
maybe that would be sci.non.scientific.misc? or wait a minute we already have
that in misc.misc!)

[...]
> >Also, it has recently been brought to my attention that when (not if)
> >the Monteray and Cabrillo aquariums come online it seems more natural
> >that they would contribute to a sci group than a rec.pets.whales thing.
>
> So if it's rec.* and not sci.* they won't read or post?
> This is getting stupider each day.

I think that the traffic of this discussion merits its own group, this is an
official call for discussion on the creation of misc.create.sci.or.rec.aquaria.

>    Evan Leibovitch, Sound Software, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario

Ken A. Irwin
AT&T Bell Laboratories
Indian Hill 6G410
Naperville, Illinois
(312) 979-4578
...!ihlpa!kai

tjw@unix.cis.pitt.edu (TJ Wood WA3VQJ) (10/21/89)

In article <2957@splut.conmicro.com> jay@splut.conmicro.com (Jay "you ignorant splut!" Maynard) writes:

>When I think rec I think hobbies. Everyone, yourself included, agrees
>that aquaria is a hobby subject. What's the problem? Next, you'll be
>proposing sci.ham-radio.

No, Jay, if anything, non-hams will propose sci.radio.amateur as they
don't understand why we call it ham-radio.  Personally, I would prefer
sci.code.no but I don't want to start an even bigger war.flame.

Wood.Terry.J

--
(UUCP)     {decwrl!decvax!idis, allegra, bellcore, cadre}!pitt!cisunx!cisvms!tjw
(BITNET)   TJW@PITTVMS  (or) TJW@PITTUNIX

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (10/21/89)

In article <6597@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <21076@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>> When I think rec I think TV and football.
>
>Yes, we know there's a major attitude problem in the United States, with
>non-participatory activities chewing up a huge amount of people's free
>time. It seems your reaction to this is to classify what you do in your
>free time as something other than "recreation". That's a perfectly valid
>reaction, but you really shoudl try to limit to your personal life, and
>not try to impose it on others.
>
>> Also, it has recently been brought to my attention that when (not if)
>> the Monteray and Cabrillo aquariums come online it seems more natural
>> that they would contribute to a sci group than a rec.pets.whales thing.
>
>Yes, I look forward to sci.bio.marine

Wait a minute. If people talk about a marine environment it's a sci
group, but if they actually have one, it's rec ?

At any rate I take it sci.bio.marine is about, uh, marine biology.

Right now on USENET, thats a subset of alt.aquaria postings. If you
can demonstrate enought traffic in sci.aquaria, Peter. maybe
you can go and make sci.bio.marine.

You're taking the taxa too far in the theoretical sense without
any regards to prgamaticism.

>and rec.oceanaria.

Well thats fine for the marine stuff, but what about freshwater ?

--

bee@cs.purdue.EDU (Zaphod Beeblebrox) (10/21/89)

Said richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton):
(in article <21126@gryphon.COM>)
|In article <2957@splut.conmicro.com> jay@splut.conmicro.com (Jay "you ignorant splut!" Maynard) writes:
|>
|>When I think rec I think hobbies. Everyone, yourself included, agrees
|>that aquaria is a hobby subject. What's the problem? Next, you'll be
|>proposing sci.ham-radio.
|
|Every day, I hear: ``if it's a hobby, it goes in rec''.
|
|Half of the comp groups cover hobbies - go ahead, TELL ME
|people play hack for a living (yeah, *I know* they get paid for it
|already).

You wanna propose splitting comp.* into rec.comp.* and sci.comp.* ???
Go right ahead.  Is it really worth the trouble?  I don't think so.
If you're concerned about both hobbies and sciences being in comp, ask
Spaf to change his top-level descriptions so that it clearly states
that rec is for non-computer-related hobbies and that sci is for
non-computer-related sciences.
                                          B.E.E.
--
  Z. Beeblebrox   |  "Some girl with psychic powers asked me,
  (alias B.E.E.)  |   'T-Bone, what's your sign?';

In article <21126@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
> Half of the comp groups cover hobbies - go ahead, TELL ME
> people play hack for a living (yeah, *I know* they get paid for it
> already).

Well, if you can convince people to perform the following transformations:

rename comp.sources.games rec.sources
rename comp.sources.games.d rec.sources.d
rename comp.sys.ibm.pc comp.pc.ibm
rename comp.sources.ibm.pc comp.pc.ibm.sources
rename comp.binaries.ibm.pc comp.pc.ibm.binaries
for i in cbm amiga atari.st ...
do
	rename comp.sys.$i comp.pc.$i
	rename comp.sources.$i comp.pc.$i.sources
	rename comp.binaries.$i comp.pc.$i.binaries
done

...and so on...

I could sure simplify my sys file.
--
Peter da Silva, *NIX support guy @ Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
Biz: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. Fun: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com. `-_-'
"ERROR:  trust not in UUCP routing tables"                                 'U`
	-- MAILER-DAEMON@mcsun.EU.net

baur@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Steven L. Baur) (10/22/89)

> |In article <2957@splut.conmicro.com> jay@splut.conmicro.com (Jay "you ignorant splut!" Maynard) writes:
> |>
> |Half of the comp groups cover hobbies - go ahead, TELL ME
> |people play hack for a living ...

Nethack discussion is in rec (rec.games.hack).

Perhaps comp.sources.games* should be renamed to rec.sources.games* ?

steve	baur@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM
--
steve	baur@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM

> >> Also, it has recently been brought to my attention that when (not if)
> >> the Monteray and Cabrillo aquariums come online it seems more natural
> >> that they would contribute to a sci group than a rec.pets.whales thing.

> >Yes, I look forward to sci.bio.marine

> Wait a minute. If people talk about a marine environment it's a sci
> group, but if they actually have one, it's rec ?

I would say the "Monteray and Cabrillo aquariums" have a marine environment.

If you don't understand what I'm saying, go re-read the last few weeks of
news.groups.
--

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (10/23/89)

In article <6623@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:

>> Wait a minute. If people talk about a marine environment it's a sci
>> group, but if they actually have one, it's rec ?
>
>I would say the "Monteray and Cabrillo aquariums" have a marine environment.

Alright, granted. But what about the Steinhart and Buffalo aquariums ?

--
                  Surgical tools for mutant women
richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV

Said richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton):
(in article <21126@gryphon.COM>)

|Every day, I hear: ``if it's a hobby, it goes in rec''.
|
|Half of the comp groups cover hobbies - go ahead, TELL ME
|people play hack for a living (yeah, *I know* they get paid for it
|already).
You're kidding. You never heard of rec.games.hack?

john@frog.UUCP (John Woods) (10/25/89)

In article <3757@pinas.cs.vu.nl>, maart@cs.vu.nl (Maarten Litmaath) writes:
> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
> \I believe that technical
> \groups in rec as as misplaced as .philosophy is in sci.
>
> Philosophy can be studied at universities: it is considered a science.

Oh?  What does current theory say about the results of accelerating a
philosopher to 26TeV and slamming him into a brick wall target?

I hereby propose we rename news.groups to alt.flame.groups.