[news.groups] Maybe a vote on rec.music.rock is in order...

In article <177@scorn.sco.COM> davidbe@sco.COM (The Cat in the Hat) writes:
> But there's no way to determine a good name.

I don't see why not. "rock" is a good term for contemporary popular
music. I know this has been brought up before, with people summoning
the spectre of...

> "that doesn't belong here" flames.

but I don't believe in them. If people can post questions on IBM-PC
interrupt vectors to comp.lang.c and get answers then they can post
questions about Elvis Presley and Elvis Costello equally well to the
rock group.
--
Peter da Silva, *NIX support guy @ Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
Biz: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. Fun: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com. `-_-'

gwc@root.co.uk (Geoff Clare) (10/20/89)

When there have been votes on rec.music.rock in the past they have
always failed because the resulting group would be no different
from the present rec.music.misc.

If there is going to be a change to rec.music.* it should be a
radical change, with lots of new groups each catering to
a particular type of music.  If there is overlap between them,
that's no problem - just crosspost.  The volume in each new group
would still be at an acceptable level compared to the current
volume in rec.music.misc.

To make this work, as many new groups as possible need to be
created, ideally 10 to 20.  Here are some suggestions:

	rec.music.artrock
	rec.music.charthits
	rec.music.dance
	rec.music.disco
	rec.music.elevator
	rec.music.fifties
	rec.music.funk
	rec.music.hardrock
	rec.music.indie
	rec.music.instrumental
	rec.music.metal
	rec.music.newage
	rec.music.progrock
	rec.music.rap
	rec.music.rock-n-roll
	rec.music.sixties
	rec.music.soul
	rec.music.soundtracks
	rec.music.thrash

I would really like to see this happen.  My KILL file for rec.music.misc
is now over 400 lines, and becoming a royal pain in the arse.

--
Geoff Clare, UniSoft Limited, Saunderson House, Hayne Street, London EC1A 9HH
gwc@root.co.uk  (Dumb mailers: ...!uunet!root.co.uk!gwc)  Tel: +44-1-315-6600

rang@cs.wisc.edu (Anton Rang) (10/21/89)

In article <1035@root44.co.uk> gwc@root.co.uk (Geoff Clare) writes:
>When there have been votes on rec.music.rock in the past they have
>always failed because the resulting group would be no different
>from the present rec.music.misc.

  True...then again, it would leave rec.music.misc to develop into
something new.  Still, I agree that we could use a lot of new groups
in the rec.music domain...even if the definitions aren't always as
clear as they could be, I feel a consensus would develop.

>To make this work, as many new groups as possible need to be
>created, ideally 10 to 20.  Here are some suggestions:
>
>	[ deleted, see <1035@root44.co.uk> ]

>	rec.music.newage

  Already have this one.

>	rec.music.rock-n-roll

  Could be renamed from alt.rock-n-roll.

>I would really like to see this happen.  My KILL file for rec.music.misc
>is now over 400 lines, and becoming a royal pain in the arse.

  I agree.  I rarely have the time to go through 1500 articles in
r.m.misc to find the 20-100 which are interesting to me....

			Anton

+----------------------------------+------------------+
| Anton Rang (grad student)        | rang@cs.wisc.edu |
| University of Wisconsin--Madison |                  |
+----------------------------------+------------------+

> When there have been votes on rec.music.rock in the past they have
> always failed because the resulting group would be no different
> from the present rec.music.misc.

This is the best reason in the world to create rec.music.rock: excessive
volume in a misc group.

I can not conceive of anyone honestly holding an informed opinion that
rec.music.rock should not be created.
--
Peter da Silva, *NIX support guy @ Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
Biz: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. Fun: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com. `-_-'
"ERROR:  trust not in UUCP routing tables"                                 'U`
	-- MAILER-DAEMON@mcsun.EU.net

sommar@enea.se (Erland Sommarskog) (10/22/89)

Geoff Clare (gwc@root.co.uk) writes:
>To make this work, as many new groups as possible need to be
>created, ideally 10 to 20.  Here are some suggestions:
>
>	rec.music.artrock
>	rec.music.charthits
>	rec.music.dance
>	rec.music.disco
>	rec.music.elevator
>	rec.music.fifties
>	rec.music.funk
>	rec.music.hardrock
>	rec.music.indie
>	rec.music.instrumental
>	rec.music.metal
>	rec.music.newage
>	rec.music.progrock
>	rec.music.rap
>	rec.music.rock-n-roll
>	rec.music.sixties
>	rec.music.soul
>	rec.music.soundtracks
>	rec.music.thrash

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

Where the hell do I post my Gensis query? To artrock or to progrock?
Or since I'm curious about some newer material maybe I should try
with charthits. Come on, the rec.music space is not like comp.lang.*.
There are no sharp boundaries, haven't been and never will. And even
worse, some of those damned musicians insist on sometimes doing this,
sometimes doing that. Should I carefully think "let's see in which
newsgroup does this Joe Jackson album fit?" Easiest thing must be
to cross-post to them all.

>I would really like to see this happen.  My KILL file for rec.music.misc
>is now over 400 lines, and becoming a royal pain in the arse.

Seems overkill to me. Must be quicker to have no kill file, and
then kill each uninteresting topic with the "k" key. I do that
and it works fine. (And despite the fact I'm a regular contributor
I kill about 25-40% of the articles.)

Rec.music.misc is a high-volume group, and that's what I like about
it. You may be reading about Yes in one moment, to be thrown to
Madonna in the next, then moving over to Sex Pistols and then something
new again. What do you want? American commercial radio?
--
Erland Sommarskog - ENEA Data, Stockholm - sommar@enea.se
"My baby's a 26. On a scale from one to ten, my baby's a 26." - Chic

" Maynard) (10/22/89)

In article <6620@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>This is the best reason in the world to create rec.music.rock: excessive
>volume in a misc group.

Amen to that. Rec.music.rock has been needed for years. The last time it
was proposed, though, it was flamed to ashes and died.

>I can not conceive of anyone honestly holding an informed opinion that
>rec.music.rock should not be created.

Erland, this is your cue...

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL   | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jay@splut.conmicro.com       (eieio)| adequately be explained by stupidity.

pv@tut.fi (Vuorimaa Petri Kalevi) (10/23/89)

I have an idea. What if we made some kind of recommendation for use
of keywords. For example, if I write something about Soul, I would
put that as one of the keywords. That way we could have rec.music.misc
as it is and at the same time I could read articles only about Soul,
if wanted. What do you think?

--
Petri Vuorimaa	   Tampere University of Technology / Signal Processing Lab
pv@tut.fi          PO. BOX. 527, 33101 Tampere, Finland

NOTICE: My employer doesn't necessarily believe in what I say!

fischer@iesd.auc.dk (Lars P. Fischer) (10/23/89)

In article <1035@root44.co.uk> gwc@root.co.uk (Geoff Clare) writes:
>To make this work, as many new groups as possible need to be
>created, ideally 10 to 20.  Here are some suggestions:
>
>	rec.music.dance
>	rec.music.disco
>	rec.music.fifties
>	rec.music.hardrock
>	rec.music.progrock
>	rec.music.rock-n-roll
>	rec.music.sixties

Imagine the amount of cross-posting this would generate. You'd never
know where to post, so you'd pick five groups, say, and post there.
Overlapping groups are a bad idea.

I'm all in favor of a rec.music.rock, with "rock" meaning "Chuck Berry
and offsprings". Let's create one group and see what happens. If it
gets overflown by Heavy Metal freaks we can consider a
rec.music.metal, etc.

/Lars
--
Lars Fischer,  fischer@iesd.auc.dk   | Seek error on /dev/brain (core dumped).
CS Dept., Univ. of Aalborg, DENMARK. |                  -- (null)

fischer@iesd.auc.dk (Lars P. Fischer) (10/23/89)

In article <6620@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>This is the best reason in the world to create rec.music.rock: excessive
>volume in a misc group.

Agreed. A .misc group should be for things that wouldn't fit anywhere
else. High volume topics should have a group on their own.
--

In article <PV.89Oct22233555@korppi.tut.fi> pv@tut.fi (Vuorimaa Petri Kalevi) writes:
> What if we made some kind of recommendation for use
>of keywords. For example, if I write something about Soul, I would
>put that as one of the keywords.

Take a look at comp.sys.mac. They can't even stick to specific Subject
lines, making it next to impossible to use kill files. The idea is OK.
It just wouldn't work. And anyway, if all that these keywords do is
tell what type of *rock* is being discussed, then it still belongs in
sci.music.rock (:-).
--
Lars Fischer,  fischer@iesd.auc.dk   | Seek error on /dev/brain (core dumped).
CS Dept., Univ. of Aalborg, DENMARK. |                  -- (null)

In article <PV.89Oct22233555@korppi.tut.fi> pv@tut.fi (Vuorimaa Petri Kalevi) writes:
> I have an idea. What if we made some kind of recommendation for use
> of keywords.

You can't get people to use keywords.

Hell, you can't even get people to use Summaries.
--
Peter da Silva, *NIX support guy @ Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
Biz: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. Fun: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com. `-_-'
"I feared that the committee would decide to go with their previous        'U`
 decision unless I credibly pulled a full tantrum." -- dmr@alice.UUCP

ebm@ibmarc.uucp (Eli Messinger) (10/25/89)

Peter da Silva...

> I can not conceive of anyone honestly holding an informed opinion that
> rec.music.rock should not be created.

Then your powers of conception are very very limited.

I enjoy the variety and volume of r.m.misc.  My (honest) opinion is informed
by 7 or 8 years active participation in net.music/r.m.misc, countless rehashes
of the "split" discussion, 12 years in alternative radio broadcasting, more
years than that of music collecting...

Widen your view and you'll see that there are still a few of us out here who
like to think of music as music, and not as a bunch of genres strung together
end-to-end.
--
 "The real test of an artist, of course, is not whether you can see each blade
 of grass, but whether the eyes follow you across the room."   --Stewart Evans

  CSNET: ebm@ibm.com / UUCP: ...!uunet!ibmarc!ebm / BITNET: ebm@almvma.bitnet

In article <1159@ks.UUCP> ebm@ibmarc.UUCP (Eli Messinger) writes:
> Widen your view and you'll see that there are still a few of us out here who
> like to think of music as music, and not as a bunch of genres strung together
> end-to-end.

Yes, I'm one of them. But when one genre overwhelmes the others, it's time
to make some more room... knock this wall down (unh) (hand me that hammer).
(there we go, the rec.music.rock room).

If you seriously hold this opinion, and you think that somehow rec.music.
rock would somehow tarnish the purity of this art form, how can you stand
all the *other* subgroups of rec.music?
--
Peter da Silva, *NIX support guy @ Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
Biz: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. Fun: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com. `-_-'
"That particular mistake will not be repeated.  There are plenty of        'U`
 mistakes left that have not yet been used." -- Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)