[news.groups] ==>> CALL FOR DISCUSSION: Moving alt.rhode_island <<==

gmp@rayssd.ray.com (Gregory M. Paris) (10/17/89)

As many of you know, there currently exists a newsgroup dedicated to the
discussion  of  all  things  pertaining to the State of Rhode Island and
Providence Plantations:  alt.rhode_island.  I believe that the time  has
come  to  move  Rhody discussions to a mainstream news hierarchy, and as
the proposed charter for the newgroup  makes  obvious,  the  appropriate
choice for the new newsgroup is sci.rhode-island.

This is a call for discussion of the creation of sci.rhode-island.   The
discussion  period  will end twenty-one days from the date of this post-
ing.

--

                 Proposed Charter for Sci.Rhode-Island

The newsgroup sci.rhode-island exists for the purpose of scientific dis-
cussion  of  all  things related to The State of Rhode Island and Provi-
dence Plantations.  Some examples --  not  all-inclusive  --  of  topics
suitable for discussion in the newsgroup are listed below.

1.      Rhode Island as a Unit of Measurement (i.e., relating  the  size
        of Rhode Island to various standards, atomic and otherwise)

2.      Coffee Syrup and Coffee Milk (i.e., their chemical  composition,
        effects and side-effects)

3.      Quahogs and Other Shellfish (i.e., effects of pollution on, bio-
        logical classification, attempts to communicate with)

4.      Rhode Island Drivers (i.e., psychological makeup,  genetic  ten-
        dencies)

5.      Rhode Island Dialects (i.e., Is Rhodylandish a dialect?, lexicon
        of Rhodylandish words)

6.      Rhode Island Reds (i.e., egg laying rates, spectral analysis  of
        rooster sounds)

7.      Pawtucket Red Sox (i.e., player medical reports, new statistical
        analysis methods)

8.      C.C.R.I. Knight  Campus  (i.e.,  psychological  effects  of  the
        building on students and passers-by, structural analysis)

9.      Rhode Island Weather (i.e.,  microclimate,  analysis  of  famous
        hurricanes, the Ghiorse Factor)

10.     Rhode Island Bridges (i.e., design and construction of  the  big
        ones, why the little ones are cracking)

11.     Rhode Island Geography (i.e., Where is it?,  shoreline  to  area
        ratio)

--
Greg Paris <gmp@quahog.ssd.ray.com>
{decuac,necntc,uiucdcs,uunet}!rayssd!gmp

suzy@tank.uchicago.edu (suzy marie mercer) (10/17/89)

In article <106@rayssd.ray.com> gmp@quahog.ssd.ray.com (Greg Paris) writes:
:
:As many of you know, there currently exists a newsgroup dedicated to the
:discussion  of  all  things  pertaining to the State of Rhode Island and
:Providence Plantations:  alt.rhode_island.  I believe that the time  has
:come  to  move  Rhody discussions to a mainstream news hierarchy, and as
:the proposed charter for the newgroup  makes  obvious,  the  appropriate
:choice for the new newsgroup is sci.rhode-island.
:
:This is a call for discussion of the creation of sci.rhode-island.   The
:discussion  period  will end twenty-one days from the date of this post-
:ing.
:
(stuff deleted)
:--
:Greg Paris <gmp@quahog.ssd.ray.com>

I think it is clear to anyone following the important discussions here
that Greg is proposing to place this very otherwise very valuable
group in the wrong hierarchy. Given the fact that Rhode Island is
95% water and given that fish and various sea mammals live in water,
it is clear that the group should NOT be sci.rhode-island, but
rather:
                 sci.aquaria.rhode-island

To name it otherwise would be to debase the dignity of all who
stick things in tanks.

If this group goes to a vote as sci.rhode-island, I will urge a
a no vote and I will send lots of postings until I get my way.
suzy marie mercer
suzy@tank.uchicago.edu                 ....!uunet!mimsy!oddjob!tank!suzy

iws@rayssdb.ray.com (Ihor W. Slabicky) (10/18/89)

In article <106@rayssd.ray.com>, gmp@rayssd.ray.com (Gregory M. Paris) writes:

> As many of you know, there currently exists a newsgroup dedicated to the
> discussion  of  all  things  pertaining to the State of Rhode Island and
> Providence Plantations:  alt.rhode_island.  I believe that the time  has
> come  to  move  Rhody discussions to a mainstream news hierarchy, and as
> the proposed charter for the newgroup  makes  obvious,  the  appropriate
> choice for the new newsgroup is sci.rhode-island.
>
> This is a call for discussion of the creation of sci.rhode-island.   The
> discussion  period  will end twenty-one days from the date of this post-
> ing.

12.  Why the smallest state in the Union has the longest name.

Yes, I agree, this group should be let out into the world as
sci.rhode-island.  But, the biggest problem to be resolved right
now is the correct name for the group - should it be:

	sci.rhode-island
or
	sci.rhode_island

I think using the '-' makes for a very flippant and easily
typed name.  I think using the '_' makes you think about
what you are going to do as you hit the SHIFT key and reminds
you that this is a serious and scientific discussion group.
The group should also be expanded to 'world' distribution.

wine@maui.cs.ucla.edu (David Wine) (10/18/89)

I agree with the sentiment, but I think a better name would be
alt.state_of_rhode_island_and_providence_plantations.

--David

susel@TERPIN.DEC.COM (10/18/89)

In article <2818@rayssdb.ray.com>, iws@rayssdb.ray.com (Ihor W. Slabicky) writes...
>In article <106@rayssd.ray.com>, gmp@rayssd.ray.com (Gregory M. Paris) writes:
>>
>> As many of you know, there currently exists a newsgroup dedicated to the

Whats the difference!  I've meen checking out this file for a month and
haven't seen one new note since thiese!

Bruce Susel
WHS class of 78
Native of Woonsocket,
DECHED

scs@itivax.iti.org (Steve Simmons) (10/18/89)

susel@TERPIN.DEC.COM writes:

>In article <2818@rayssdb.ray.com>, iws@rayssdb.ray.com (Ihor W. Slabicky) writes...
>>In article <106@rayssd.ray.com>, gmp@rayssd.ray.com (Gregory M. Paris) writes:
>>>
>>> As many of you know, there currently exists a newsgroup dedicated to the

>Whats the difference!  I've meen checking out this file for a month and
>haven't seen one new note since thiese!

Given the size of alt.rhode_island and current geographic situations, it seems
appropriate to move alt.rhode_island to alt.california.rhode_island.

:-)  :-)  :-)
--
Steve Simmons	scs@iti.org   Industrial Technology Institute
	    "I forgot the baby."  -- P. Honeyman

peg@brunix (Pete Granger) (10/18/89)

In article <1321@engage.enet.dec.com> susel@TERPIN.DEC.COM writes:
<In article <2818@rayssdb.ray.com>, iws@rayssdb.ray.com (Ihor W. Slabicky) writes...
<>In article <106@rayssd.ray.com>, gmp@rayssd.ray.com (Gregory M. Paris) writes:
<>>
<>> As many of you know, there currently exists a newsgroup dedicated to the
<...................
<
<Whats the difference!  I've meen checking out this file for a month and
<haven't seen one new note since thiese!

What's "Thiese"? Some obscure holiday they only celebrate in Woonsocket?

Personally, I favor moving it to alt.sex.rhode_island. At least it'd up
the traffic level. Or maybe not, from what I've heard about the state :-).
--------
  Pete Granger   ...!brunix!peg       "Hovering like a fly, waiting for the
                 peg@cs.brown.edu      windshield on the freeway."
                                          -- Genesis, "Fly on a Windshield"

rmiller@gmu90x.UUCP (Richard Miller) (10/19/89)

How about trying to figure out:

	Why is the town north of KingsTON called North KingsTOWN?

	Why does everyone call Connanicut Island JAMESTOWN?

	How come there is a West Greenwich and an East Greenwich,
	but no Greenwich?

	And, by the way, what did that tanker captain think
	the Brenton Reef tower was sitting on?

My theory is that the URI reactor (at the Narragansett campus) is emmitting
an excessive amount of alpha particles which are causing the cranial flip-flops
of the general poplulation to randomly chage state at infrequent intervals.

Rick Miller

11012 Howland Drive
Reston, VA 22091

reply to rmiller@gmuvax2.gmu.edu

"I hate living in a land where only carpenters make coffee cabinets."

richard@sun.acs.udel.edu (Richard Gordon) (10/19/89)

And I'm confused about how come there's a Cajun festival in Escoheag
every year?!?!?!

iws@rayssdb.ray.com (Ihor W. Slabicky) (10/19/89)

In article <1321@engage.enet.dec.com>, susel@TERPIN.DEC.COM writes:

> >> As many of you know, there currently exists a newsgroup dedicated to the
>
> Whats the difference!  I've meen checking out this file for a month and
> haven't seen one new note since thiese!
>
> Bruce Susel
> WHS class of 78
> Native of Woonsocket,

So why don't you post the latest news from Woonsocket?  What are
you, a read-only RI-er?  Or are you afraid to post because of the
horrible spelling?   Don't worry, we all make mistakes.  Well,
some people won't admit to that, which is a mistake.

> DECHED
  ^^^^^^--- are you a read-only DecHead also?

:-) Ihor

jeff@cpoint.UUCP (Jeffrey J. Griglack) (10/20/89)

In article <2399@gmu90x.UUCP> rmiller@gmu90x.UUCP (Richard Miller) writes:
>How about trying to figure out:
>
>	Why is the town north of KingsTON called North KingsTOWN?

I thought there was a North Kingstown and a South Kingstown that contained
the village of Kingston.

>	Why does everyone call Connanicut Island JAMESTOWN?

The island has only one town on it called (you guessed it) Jamestown.  The
island has a name and the town has a name, understand?

>	How come there is a West Greenwich and an East Greenwich,
>	but no Greenwich?

Why is there a West Virginia but no East Virginia?  Why is there a North
Dakota and a South Dakota, but no Dakota.  Why do people type things
like "How come...." instead of "Why?"  I guess we live in an imperfect world.

>	And, by the way, what did that tanker captain think
>	the Brenton Reef tower was sitting on?

I don't know.

>My theory is that the URI reactor (at the Narragansett campus) is emmitting
>an excessive amount of alpha particles which are causing the cranial flip-flops
>of the general poplulation to randomly chage state at infrequent intervals.
>
>Rick Miller
>
>11012 Howland Drive
>Reston, VA 22091
>
>reply to rmiller@gmuvax2.gmu.edu
>
>"I hate living in a land where only carpenters make coffee cabinets."

Now I quess I'll have to tell 'em, that I've got no cerebellum - The Ramones
				Jeff Griglack
		{decvax, cybbax0, mirror}!frog!cpoint!jeff

iws@rayssdb.ray.com (Ihor W. Slabicky) (10/21/89)

In article <1321@engage.enet.dec.com>, susel@TERPIN.DEC.COM writes:
> >> As many of you know, there currently exists a newsgroup dedicated to the
>
> Whats the difference!  I've meen checking out this file for a month and
> haven't seen one new note since thiese!
>
> Bruce Susel
> WHS class of 78
> Native of Woonsocket,

So, what are you, read-only at that site?  How about the latest news
from Woon?

> DECHED

You're not a read-only DecHead also, are you?  :-)

iws@rayssdb.ray.com (Ihor W. Slabicky) (10/21/89)

In article <2399@gmu90x.UUCP>, rmiller@gmu90x.UUCP (Richard Miller) writes:
> How about trying to figure out:
>
> 	Why is the town north of KingsTON called North KingsTOWN?
>
> 	Why does everyone call Connanicut Island JAMESTOWN?

Or why everyone on Rhode Island calls it Aquidneck Island?

> 	How come there is a West Greenwich and an East Greenwich,
> 	but no Greenwich?
>
> 	And, by the way, what did that tanker captain think
> 	the Brenton Reef tower was sitting on?
>
> "I hate living in a land where only carpenters make coffee cabinets."

The Newport Creamery is running some kind of contest where they
have hidden 5 golden cows and you have to find them.  Two have
been found already - one at The Institute somewhere in Mass. and
the other in front of the Library at URI.

ras@rayssdb.ray.com (Ralph A. Shaw) (10/21/89)

In article (mumble mumble mumble) rmiller@gmu90x.UUCP (Richard Miller) sez:

>How about trying to figure out:
>
>	Why is the town north of KingsTON called North KingsTOWN?
Kingston is a village in the town of South Kingstown, which also
includes West Kingston.  North of this town is North Kingstown, and
somewhere out with Atlantis is presumably East Kingston (a village).
See, they're consistent - the ``ton''s are villages, the ``towns''
are towns.  I'm not sure it was planned that way, but who cares.
Aren't you glad you didn't ask where Altown and Barringtown are?

>	Why does everyone call Connanicut Island JAMESTOWN?
Same reason they call Newport/Middletown/Portsmouth Aquidneck Island
-- it brings in more tourists.  (Actually, it's called Rhode Island
and the rest of us mainlanders are living in the Plantations).

>	How come there is a West Greenwich and an East Greenwich,
>	but no Greenwich?
See "Kingston/Kingstown" discussion, they were both lost when the
glacier came thru here...

>	And, by the way, what did that tanker captain think
>	the Brenton Reef tower was sitting on?
Why, East Kingston, of course.  (The glacier pushed it further
south and west of its original location).

cs123047@brunix (Garret Fitzgerald) (10/21/89)

In article <2818@rayssdb.ray.com> iws@rayssdb.ray.com (Ihor W. Slabicky) writes:
>Yes, I agree, this group should be let out into the world as
>sci.rhode-island.  But, the biggest problem to be resolved right
>now is the correct name for the group - should it be:
>
>	sci.rhode-island
>or
>	sci.rhode_island

Neither. It should be sci.RhoDislan :-)
Campus Crusade for Cthulhu--when you're tired of the lesser of two evils.
Sarek of Vulcan, a.k.a. Garrett Fitzgerald
cs123047@cs.brown.edu
st902620@brownvm.brown.edu (or brownvm.bitnet)

fischer@iesd.auc.dk (Lars P. Fischer) (10/21/89)

In article <106@rayssd.ray.com> gmp@rayssd.ray.com (Gregory M. Paris) writes:
> I believe that the time  has
>come  to  move  Rhody discussions to a mainstream news hierarchy, and as
>the proposed charter for the newgroup  makes  obvious,  the  appropriate
>choice for the new newsgroup is sci.rhode-island.

This is a joke, right? (No :-)'s to be found).
--
Copyright 1989 Lars Fischer; you can redistribute only if your recipients can.
Lars Fischer,  fischer@iesd.auc.dk, {...}!mcvax!iesd!fischer

Radical social changes begins on the street! So if your looking for
some action... cut the crap and get out there.
			-- Joe Strummer

susel@TERPIN.DEC.COM (10/27/89)

In article <2876@rayssdb.ray.com>, iws@rayssdb.ray.com (Ihor W. Slabicky) writes...
>So, what are you, read-only at that site?  How about the latest news
>from Woon?
>
>> DECHED
>
>You're not a read-only DecHead also, are you?  :-)

You Bet!  Over here at DEC where the systems they sit side by each!

8*}