[news.groups] comp.unix.aix

fink@nucthy.physics.orst.edu (Paul fink) (10/23/89)

When this group was founded. It was to be linked with the Bitnet AIX-L
mailing list. Unfortunately, I blew it and the group was formed
unmoderated. To be linked with the AIX-L mailing list the group must
be moderated so that all postings will go though the mail list. I am
told that this will not change the nature of the Usenet group. Postings
will NOT be selected, everyone will be be free to post to the group.
The change is only technical so that the AIX-L list can join us and us
them.

Can we do this with out a vote?

Sorry,
Paul

         Paul J. Fink Jr.                    Internet:
         Oregon State University                fink@PHYSICS.ORST.EDU
         Department of Physics               Phone:
         Corvallis, Oregon 97331                (503) 737-4631

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (10/25/89)

In article <13297@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> fink@nucthy.physics.orst.edu (Paul fink) writes:

>When this group was founded. It was to be linked with the Bitnet AIX-L
>mailing list. Unfortunately, I blew it and the group was formed
>unmoderated. To be linked with the AIX-L mailing list the group must
>be moderated so that all postings will go though the mail list.
>Can we do this with out a vote?

Well, I think it's not such a great idea because support for
moderated groups is pretty shoddy still with the news software.
Posting articles becomes a crap game.  Frankly, I like the
immediacy and reliability of the give-and-take of what the AIX
newsgroup has had so far as an unmoderated group.  There must be
ways to merge AIX-L with comp.unix.aix without inconveniencing us.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

ambar@ora.ora.com (Jean Marie Diaz) (10/26/89)

In article <13297@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> fink@nucthy.physics.orst.edu (Paul fink) writes:
>When this group was founded. It was to be linked with the Bitnet AIX-L
>mailing list. Unfortunately, I blew it and the group was formed
>unmoderated. To be linked with the AIX-L mailing list the group must
>be moderated so that all postings will go though the mail list.

Actually, the group need not be moderated in order to bi-directionally
gateway it with a mailing list.  bloom-beacon is gatewaying about 20
such lists, with software provided by Erik Fair.  We can probably
gateway AIX-L too, provided someone else doesn't beat me to it....

				AMBAR
ambar@ora.com						uunet!ora!ambar

tale@pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (10/26/89)

In <13297@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> fink@nucthy.physics.orst.edu (Paul fink) writes:

Paul> When this group was founded. It was to be linked with the Bitnet AIX-L
Paul> mailing list. Unfortunately, I blew it and the group was formed
Paul> unmoderated. To be linked with the AIX-L mailing list the group must
Paul> be moderated so that all postings will go though the mail list. I am
Paul> told that this will not change the nature of the Usenet group.

It would change the nature.  All postings would have to go through a
single clearing point.

Paul> Can we do this with out a vote?

Not really.  A change to moderatedness of an unmoderated group has
traditionally been an issue for voting.  +However+ you don't have to
moderate the group at all.  You can use a news2mail <=> mail2news
gateway to accomplish getting the group and list linked.  This
gatewaying would still all happen at one machine, but there isn't the
burden of moderation.  All of the gnu.* groups are handled this way.
Both comp.unix.questions and comp.unix.wizards are handled this way.
Further examples exist on the net.

I have it on good authority that a mail/news gatewaying package will
be available in comp.sources.unix within the month.  Perhaps the
programmer of that package will (or even has) send you copy if you
feel a need to get the link set up as soon as possible.

Dave
--
 (setq mail '("tale@pawl.rpi.edu" "tale@itsgw.rpi.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))

ji@close.columbia.edu (John Ioannidis) (10/26/89)

In article <335@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM> dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
>In article <13297@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> fink@nucthy.physics.orst.edu (Paul fink) writes:
>>
>>When this group was founded. It was to be linked with the Bitnet AIX-L
>>mailing list. Unfortunately, I blew it and the group was formed
>>unmoderated. To be linked with the AIX-L mailing list the group must
>>be moderated so that all postings will go though the mail list.
>>Can we do this with out a vote?

No need to vote. Quite a few newsgroups are being gatewayed to and from
ARPAnet mailing lists without being moderated. gnu.gcc is one that
comes to mind. ALl we need is ONE usenet node that also gets AIX-L to
do the gatewaying.

>Well, I think it's not such a great idea because support for
>moderated groups is pretty shoddy still with the news software.
>Posting articles becomes a crap game.  Frankly, I like the

That's why almost all moderators insist on articles being mailed to
them rather than being posted through the news software.

>immediacy and reliability of the give-and-take of what the AIX
>newsgroup has had so far as an unmoderated group.  There must be
>ways to merge AIX-L with comp.unix.aix without inconveniencing us.

See above.

/ji

In-Real-Life: John "Heldenprogrammer" Ioannidis
E-Mail-To: ji@cs.columbia.edu
V-Mail-To: +1 212 854 5510
P-Mail-To: 450 Computer Science \n Columbia University \n New York, NY 10027

jackv@turnkey.gryphon.COM (Jack F. Vogel) (10/28/89)

In article <335@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM> dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
>In article <13297@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> fink@nucthy.physics.orst.edu (Paul fink) writes:
[ account of wanted the group moderated for BITNET's convenience deleted ]

>Well, I think it's not such a great idea because support for
>moderated groups is pretty shoddy still with the news software.
>Posting articles becomes a crap game.  Frankly, I like the
>immediacy and reliability of the give-and-take of what the AIX
>newsgroup has had so far as an unmoderated group.  There must be
>ways to merge AIX-L with comp.unix.aix without inconveniencing us.

Here, here!! I agree completely with Steve on this matter. I would never
have wanted the group were it moderated. It is completely inaccurate to
say that this change would have no effect on the group. If someone wants
the content of the group to go off onto BITNET, let someone take on the
job of creating digests of the content and then sending that on. I do
not know exactly how this works, but since wizards and other groups end
up as digests without being moderated I am sure it can be done.

Moderation? Just say NO!

Sorry I couldn't resist :-}!

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@seas.ucla.edu
AIX Technical Support	              - or -