[news.groups] Don't mislead others

hac@ix1.cc.utexas.edu (Alejandro A Hu-Quixote) (10/29/89)

In message <1254@uvaarpa.virginia.edu> randall@uvaarpa.Virginia.EDU (Randall Atkinson) writes:

>I am not ignorant about SE Asia or the ASEAN countries nor have I
>any particular axe to grind tonight.

Are you not ignorant only because you say so? Prove it.

>  I voted NO to soc.culture.asean
>and encourage others to do likewise because SEVERAL reasonable alternative
>names were proposed and a strong consensus became clear in the
>official discussion period that the name was widely thought to be
>a poor choice.

Reasonable alternative? A strong consensus? Poor choice? That is
only your and a few other's opinion. The majority of the net won't
think the same way as you do. There are hundreds of ASEAN citizens
who think that soc.culture.asean is the proper choice. Their absence
from lobbying in news.groups doesn't give you a permit to speak as
if Usenet belonged to you and your friends.

I take this opportunity to tell other netters that they should not
listen to the misleading "encouragements." Think twice before you
vote, whatever your choice may be. Especially to the subscribers of
soc.culture.misc, let me tell you in advance that, should the creation
of soc.culture.asean stumble, soc.culture.misc will be flooded with
endless discussions on ASEAN culture.

--
Alex Hu
for the creation of a liberal and unbiased soc.culture.asean

randall@uvaarpa.virginia.edu (Randall Atkinson) (10/29/89)

In article <hac.14149@ix1.cc.utexas.edu>,
	hac@ix1.cc.utexas.edu (Alejandro A Hu-Quixote) writes:

>Are you not ignorant only because you say so? Prove it.

I mentioned it to point out the absurdity of the ad hominem attacks
posted by harish in his posting <13194@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU>.  Your own
approach is to again resort to ad hominem attacks rather than
disagreement on substantial grounds.

>Reasonable alternative? A strong consensus? Poor choice? That is
>only your and a few other's opinion.

Actually it is the consensus that arose out of the net-wide discussion
on the proposal that occurred in news.groups (as per the standard
procedure which says that all discussion is to occur in news.groups).
Anyone with an unexpired set of postings can grep through the
postings and see the consensus develop for themselves.

>think the same way as you do. There are hundreds of ASEAN citizens
>who think that soc.culture.asean is the proper choice. Their absence
>from lobbying in news.groups doesn't give you a permit to speak as
>if Usenet belonged to you and your friends.

All who felt strongly about the name and other aspects of the proposal
should have taken part in the news.groups discussions (especially
since there was widespread dissatisfaction with Harish's choice of
names and his reasoning).  If they chose not to that is fine, but
they (and you ) shouldn't be upset that they weren't heard if they
didn't speak when they had the chance.

I suffer no delusions about how USENET exists and operates.  I offer
my views and the reasons for those views.  If that offends you then
that is too bad.  It is interesting that you feel qualified to
speak on behalf of "hundreds" of other people...

>I take this opportunity to tell other netters that they should not
>listen to the misleading "encouragements." Think twice before you
>vote, whatever your choice may be. Especially to the subscribers of
>soc.culture.misc, let me tell you in advance that, should the creation
>of soc.culture.asean stumble, soc.culture.misc will be flooded with
>endless discussions on ASEAN culture.

Discussion of all cultures are welcome in soc.culture.misc.  Recently
there have been a number of postings about Iran and over the past
year there have been postings about various places including cultures
in southeast Asia.  In fact, though my own unhappiness with the
soc.culture.asean proposal is only because of name, many would argue
that the best way to start a new group is by using the *.misc groups
and demonstrating traffic.

In summary, soc.culture.asean is a bad proposal and voters should vote
against it on name grounds.  In any event, <harish@cs.orst.edu> is
the vote collector.

Ran
randall@virginia.edu