[news.groups] RE : sci.aquaria

rdouglas@hpcuhb.HP.COM (Robert Douglas) (10/09/89)

Well, it seems that the move has finally been made to make alt.aquaria
'legitimate'.  All I can say is, it's about time.:-)

As to what the new name is to be seems to be causing quite a fuss.  I don't
know why people are getting so defensive and edgy over this, but then I
never claimed to understand humanity well at all.  So, instead of flaming
everyone else on their choices, I just go ahead and enumerate what I
think.

sci.aquaria  --  I like this.  Having gotten into fish-keeping with a ten
		 gallon tank and a couple of guppys, I have really fallen
		 in a big way.  I keep a couple of community tanks now, along
		 with a tank of Africans, and some small tanks of killies
		 (hi Richard).  As I have progressed further and further I
		 found out I wasn't interested in the fish just because they
		 were pretty or had some weird body shape.  I was interested
		 because of the rich diversity of behavior and physiology
		 present in the different species.  I also became interested
		 in the 'scientific' side of the hobby, dealing with
		 filtration, O2 levels, CO2 levels, pH, water hardness, etc
		 and how they interacted with the species that I kept.  I
		 also became interested in plants which entailed knowing more
		 about chelated elements such as iron and magnesium, and
		 CO2 injectors.  Then there are the mechanics of protein
		 skimmers, wet-dry filters, ultra-violet filters, etc that
		 always catch my attention.  If this isn't sci, I don't know
		 what is.

rec.aquaria  --  Okay.  But I really feel that fish-keeping is much more then
		 a recreation to me.  I guess you could call people who go
		 home and work math and physics equations all night as having
		 a 'recreation', but this seems more like a science to me.
		 Just because people enjoy doing it doesn't mean it can't be
		 scientific.

rec.pets.aquaria, rec.pets.fish., etc
	     --  I think people have enumerated enough good reasons *not* to
		 make this choice that I won't rehash the arguments.

A last point.  I like aquaria instead of aquarium.  Although it doesn't really
matter in the long run, as the same things will be discussed no matter where
it is located, I feel aquaria is broader then aquarium, and better reflects
the contents of conversations within this group.

Robert Douglas ------------------------------ rdouglas@hpda.HP.COM

richardb@fear+loathing.UUCP (Richard Brosseau) (10/10/89)

I think this discusion is bordering on the verge of the absurd.

Imagine if all the traffic generated by the sci.aquaria naming
proposal were actually the traffic IN alt.aquaria. We would never
need a new-named group to attract traffic.

Therefore, let me propose the following observation:

Richard Sexton (the guy who started this discussion) is actually an
AI program (or Construct, if you will) running on some AT&T (R) 3B
somewhere deep in the bowels of a research building in New Jersey.
This AI program, while crude, is generated more incoming for AT&T.

:^)

(Actually, this is a theory floating around the net...)

Lets stop this silly discusion and realize what we are; a bunch
of pet-owners that are trying to raise our hobby to the same level
as our professional careers. Yes, computer science is a science.
Fish keeping and breeding at the hobbyist level is not. If you really
think sci.aquaria is justifyable, check out the currently top-rated
technical rag on the subject _Aquaculture_. Compare the rantings of
dead-pleco owners with those of the top workers in the field.

See you in rec.aquaira.

The king has no clothes. Long live the king.
--
Richard Brosseau Cognos Inc. decvax!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!cognos!richardb

oleg@gryphon.COM (Oleg Kiselev) (10/22/89)

In article <7217@fear+loathing.UUCP> richardb@cognos.UUCP () writes:
>Lets stop this silly discusion and realize what we are; a bunch
>of pet-owners

Would you call a bunch of caulerpa a "pet"?  Or have you given a name to
every worm in your grindal worm culture?  Do you take your crypts out for
walks?

You may own pets.  I own aquariums with working ecologies, I breed fish and I
culture food for these fish.  No pets in my house.

>See you in rec.aquaira.

I have very little argument against rec.aquaria, yet there can be no doubt
that sci groups propagate to more sites than rec.  I would rather see
sci.aquaria pass.  If it does not, there are several people ready to call for
votes on rec.aquaria, which will definitely pass.  If you disagree with sci
hierarchy placement, send in your vote and stop trying to belittle what is a
hobby to some and a science to others.
--
			"No regrets, no apologies"   Ronald Reagan

Oleg Kiselev            ARPA: lcc.oleg@seas.ucla.edu, oleg@gryphon.COM
(213)337-5230           UUCP: [world]!{ucla-se|gryphon}!lcc!oleg

dww@stl.stc.co.uk (David Wright) (10/28/89)

In article <21184@gryphon.COM> oleg@gryphon.COM (Oleg Kiselev) writes:
# ... I would rather see
#sci.aquaria pass.  If it does not, there are several people ready to call for
#votes on rec.aquaria, which will definitely pass.

So you're saying that you accept that rec.aquaria would be a more popular
choice, but you think the name should be sci.aquaria?   So you're supporting
Richard's attempt to get sci.aquaria through a vote, which then commits the
net (more or less) to that name, when with more discussion and a possible
concensus the new group could have had a name most people would have
prefered?

In other words, you agree that Richard is trying to bounce the net into
doing things his way?

Just asking :-)

Note: this is not an objection to Richard, but to this particular campaign
of his.   In previous controversies I have usually agreed with Richard's
side of the argument.

--
Regards,    David Wright       STL, London Road, Harlow, Essex  CM17 9NA, UK
dww@stl.stc.co.uk <or> ...uunet!mcvax!ukc!stl!dww <or> PSI%234237100122::DWW

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (10/30/89)

Err, no. What he said was:

># ... I would rather see
>#sci.aquaria pass.  If it does not, there are several people ready to call for
>#votes on rec.aquaria, which will definitely pass.

Oleg, lke me, has a few dozen aquaria and a couple of hundred fish
and also feels that more science and less black magic would make this
a whle lot easier and clearer.

Failing that we'll co-exist with the beer, pretzel and startrek crowd
if need be.

--
  ``Hacker: a human being whose sense of humor has been surgically removed''
						 - Kent Paul Dolan