[news.groups] Call of votes - sci.aquaria and Europe

dww@stl.stc.co.uk (David Wright) (10/19/89)

In article <20988@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
#Some articles in alt.aquaria belong in a rec group, some
#articles belong in a sci group.
#
#Whats the difference ? It turns out that sci goes to Europe
#and rec, for the most part, doesn't.

No longer true: ALL rec (and misc and alt) groups available on uunet now go
to Europe.  We even get the talk groups.

As this is a recent development (it's as a result of the Eunet gateway at
Amsterdam having been given a new news gateway host, name of mcsun, which
can handle the load), you cannot be sure that all countries and sites have
decided to accept all groups yet, (and ukc has decided not to take alt.sex
and alt.drugs in case the Murdocks* hear about it and their funding source
gets upset).   Hopefully the areas which don't yet take everything will be
able to soon.   Germany, with its very high comms costs, will probably not
take everything, but hopefully most countries will.

#Now, this is probably for a reason, ie. they don't want the
#volume, which is understandable.

Precisely: if sites have decided that they cannot afford certain areas of
discussion, then the rest of us may well regret that, but should respect
their decisions, not try to bypass them.

P.S. In case you haven't guessed, I think sci.aquaria would be a bad mistake.

*Murdock: a populist and usually nasty apology for a newspaper.

Regards,    David Wright       STL, London Road, Harlow, Essex  CM17 9NA, UK
dww@stl.stc.co.uk <or> ...uunet!mcvax!ukc!stl!dww <or> PSI%234237100122::DWW
Living in a country without a written constitution means having to trust in
the Good Will of the Government and the Generosity of Civil Servants.

matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Matt Crawford) (10/21/89)

Now that at least three people from three different European countries
have corrected Richard Sexton's misunderstanding about the distribution
of rec.all, the question is, will he drop his advocacy for the name
under sci?

I offer 5 to 1 odds to anyone who thinks he will.  Offer void where
taxed, licensed, or prohibited.
Matt Crawford	     		matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu

net@tub.UUCP (Oliver Laumann) (10/25/89)

In article <5922@tank.uchicago.edu> matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Matt Crawford) writes:
> Now that at least three people from three different European countries
> have corrected Richard Sexton's misunderstanding about the distribution
> of rec.all, the question is, will he drop his advocacy for the name
> under sci?

Although the European backbone site is importing all international newsgroups
since recently, it is highly unlikely that more than a few national European
backbones will ever get all the groups (especially the rec.* groups).  Most
national backbones do not (yet?) have a leased line to the European backbone;
they are running UUCP or IP over public PSDN connections (which is expensive).

Thus, the situation hasn't changed a lot here.

Regards,
--
Oliver Laumann              net@TUB.BITNET              net@tub.UUCP

tarvaine@tukki.jyu.fi (Tapani Tarvainen) (10/26/89)

In article <980@tub.UUCP> net@tub.UUCP (Oliver Laumann) writes:

>Although the European backbone site is importing all international newsgroups
>since recently, it is highly unlikely that more than a few national European
                       ***************
>backbones will ever get all the groups (especially the rec.* groups).
                ****

I have to disagree with that.  I don't even think it will take very long
before they all get everything.

Actually I'd like to know what the situation is at the moment:
which countries get what?  So far we've been told that
* Scandinavia gets everything, as does Holland (obviously, since the
  European backbone resides there).
* UK gets everything but alt.sex and alt.drugs (deliberately censored
  by UK backbone).
* Germany gets nothing much (especially not rec.*).  What I don't
  know is whether there is a policy decision to get all sci.* groups
  but no rec.* groups in UNIDO and/or various local organizations -
  any Germans wanting sci.aquaria because then they didn't have
  to ask for rec.aquaria explicitly (and let their employer/whoever
  know what's going on)?

How about other countries?

--
Tapani Tarvainen    (tarvaine@tukki.jyu.fi, tarvainen@finjyu.bitnet)

dww@stl.stc.co.uk (David Wright) (10/28/89)

In article <980@tub.UUCP> net@tub.UUCP (Oliver Laumann) writes:
#Although the European backbone site is importing all international newsgroups
#since recently, it is highly unlikely that more than a few national European
#backbones will ever get all the groups (especially the rec.* groups).

According to Piet, who runs the main gateway (mcsun (was mcvax)), it looks
like some are, some are thinking about it, and a few are keeping to a very
limited list - e.g. Portugal.   I don't think everyone takes all the sci
groups even.   If you want *every* European country to get the group, you'd
better call it comp.aquaria  :->

UK, Finland, Denmark, Sweden, the Netherlands, Germany all take most or all
groups now (Germany doesn't take any talk).  Further south, you find less
sites and less groups.

--
Regards,        "None shall be enslaved by poverty, ignorance or conformity"

net@tub.UUCP (Oliver Laumann) (11/01/89)

In article <2373@stl.stc.co.uk> "David Wright" <dww@stl.stc.co.uk> writes:
> UK, Finland, Denmark, Sweden, the Netherlands, Germany all take most or all
> groups now (Germany doesn't take any talk).  Further south, you find less
> sites and less groups.

The German backbone not only doesn't get the talk groups, it doesn't get
all of the soc groups and rec groups, too.  The Netherlands doesn't really
count, since mcsun, the European backbone, *is* in the Netherlands.
This leaves UK, Finland, Denmark, and Sweden; so obviously only a small
minority of the European countries that are connected to the USENET get
all the groups.

See you in sci.aquaria!