[news.groups] My last word on sci.aquaria

richardb@fear+loathing.UUCP (Richard Brosseau) (10/25/89)

rec.aquaria is a valid name because aquarium keeping IS a hobby.
I definately do it as a hobby and NOT as a science. Maybe an
examination of my OTHER hobbies is in order :

- rock climbing.
  Rather techincal. If you don't understand the physics you'll
  probably die. Training is also techincal. But its just a hobby.

- photography and darkroom development/printing.
  Getting to know all those chemicals and photographic papers
  is also rather techinal. Knowing how to treat the poisonous
  ones is a bit scientfic. Lighting also. But its just a hobby.

- house construction.
  Again, physical principles apply and so do construction codes and
  conventions. How many joists per foot at what size is rather technical,
  but its just a hobby.

- cabinetmaking.
  The physic of different joints in different cicumstances is rather
  technical. Properties of solid wood construction is a bit scientific.
  Different type of planer and saws in techincal. Keeping them
  sharp too. But its just a hobby.

- Ceramic tile making/firing.
  Properties of clay differ according to composition. What temperature
  to fire. What glazes and how to make them. Can I install an electric
  kiln for firing in my garage. (Is my insurance paid up?).
  But its just a hobby.

- semi-competative cycling.
  Buying and maintaining a decent bike. Training;LSD and intervals.
  Riding in groups. Food intake. Not getting lost. All rather techincal.
  But its just a hobby.

Just goes to show you, most hobbies make use of sound scientific
principles. Performing tasks inside the relm of the hobby can also
seem quite techical and scientific. But its just a hobby.

So cut the bullshit on sci.aquaria. Get a life, or at least not
so much a montonic life. Get another hobby.

--
Help wipe out sci.aquaria in your lifetime.
Richard Brosseau Cognos Inc. decvax!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!cognos!richardb

BRIDGE@rcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (JOHN BRIDGE) (10/27/89)

Richard B.,
     My that was certainly interesting about all your hobbies.  John

reynard@vulpes.COM (R. W. F. Clark) (10/27/89)

In <7308@fear+loathing.UUCP> richardb@fear+loathing (Richard Brosseau) says:

>rec.aquaria is a valid name because aquarium keeping IS a hobby.

I'm certain my friends who keep a multi-level structure full of
dolphins and squids and things like that and sell admission to
it will be glad to hear that.

>I definately do it as a hobby and NOT as a science.  Maybe an
>examination of my OTHER hobbies is in order :

Oh, thank you.  I'd just love to examine your OTHER hobbies.

>photography and darkroom development/printing

Ah, yes, I'm sure the guys who do the pictures in Life magazine
will be glad to hear this is just a hobby.  Those suckers actually
thought they were *working*, the fools.

>house construction

I commend you on your choice of hobby activities.  To imagine
that there are bastards, sponges, parasites who actually make
money on this hobby activity.

>cabinetmaking
>ceramic tile making/firing

Well, yes.  Did anyone tell you, Richard, that you have excellent
taste in hobbies?  What do you do for an occupation, collect
stamps?

fc

evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) (10/27/89)

In article <2341@vulpes.COM> reynard@vulpes.COM (R. W. F. Clark) writes:

>I'm certain my friends who keep a multi-level structure full of
>dolphins and squids and things like that and sell admission to
>it will be glad to hear that.

While you're at it, as how many of the people who pay to see 'things
like that' do so for scientific purpose.

It's an amusement. A recreation.

>I commend you on your choice of hobby activities.  To imagine
>that there are bastards, sponges, parasites who actually make
>money on this hobby activity.

There are people who make money off EVERY hobby. You don't have to look
to far in most cities to find someone who has made a career (or at least
a comfortable living) from model trains. That doesn't make it a
profession, let alone a sientific pursuit because he has to know about
electrical resistance etc.

Frankly, I admire people who are able to make a living at their
favourite pastimes. Even computer programming. They're not common
but they do exist.

>Did anyone tell you, Richard, that you have excellent
>taste in hobbies?  What do you do for an occupation, collect
>stamps?

Some people make quite a good dollar buying and selling stamps. So
what?

I know professional photographers who read rec.photo and have no quibble
with the name, because they expect to see it there. If there was enough
traffic on specifically professional topics, they'd create rec.photo.pro
or something like that.

The people trying to justify sci.aquaria continue to amaze me with the
ever-increasing absurdity of their logic.
--
   Evan Leibovitch, Sound Software, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
                 evan@telly.on.ca / uunet!attcan!telly!evan

reynard@vulpes.COM (R. W. F. Clark) (10/28/89)

In <1989Oct27.122817.5028@telly.on.ca> evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) says:

[My stuff about critters in tanks in zoos and public aquaria and such deleted]

>While you're at it, as how many of the people who pay to see 'things
>like that' do so for scientific purposes.

>It's an amusement. A recreation.

So those marine biologists are just futzing around having a good time?

It's nice to know that.

Since we're talking about hobbies here, I'll mention a few of mine:

Neurosurgery:  It's great fun mucking about in brain tissue.
               I suggest that everyone do the same.  I do it,
               of course, for amusement and recreation.

Coal Mining:   This is a great recreational activity enjoyed
               at some time by literally millions of immigrants.

Munitions:     A long-loved pasttime of mine.  There is very
               little in the world as amusing as finding new
               uses for thermite; enemas for Richard Brousseau
               come to mind as possibilities.

>The people trying to justify sci.aquaria continue to amaze me with the
>ever-increasing absurdity of their logic.

What did I say about sci.aquaria in my post?  Nothing.  I don't even
support it, and I think Richard Sexton is an evil fascist.

I just thought Brousseau had some mighty great hobby ideas.  In fact,
I'm going to go build a house for fun and amusement tomorrow.

fc
---
SEND YOUR "YES" votes on sci.aquaria to richard@gryphon.COM

gwh@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert) (10/28/89)

In article <2387@vulpes.COM> reynard@vulpes.COM (R. W. F. Clark) writes:

>Neurosurgery:  It's great fun mucking about in brain tissue.
>               I suggest that everyone do the same.  I do it,
>               of course, for amusement and recreation.
>
>Coal Mining:   This is a great recreational activity enjoyed
>               at some time by literally millions of immigrants.
>
>Munitions:     A long-loved pasttime of mine.  There is very
>               little in the world as amusing as finding new
>               uses for thermite; enemas for Richard Brousseau
>               come to mind as possibilities.

	YES?
I personally do all sorts of things with munitions, as a hobby.  I'm
not happy at your satirical characterization above.  I will not threaten you,
as that is extremely unkind and uncouth, but would like a retraction.

George William Herbert  UCB Naval Architecture Dpt. (my god, even on schedule!)
maniac@garnet.berkeley.edu  gwh@ocf.berkeley.edu

bondc@spdcc.COM (Asmodeus) (10/28/89)

In article <1989Oct28.004107.21449@agate.berkeley.edu> gwh@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert) writes:

>I personally do all sorts of things with munitions, as a hobby.  I'm
>not happy at your satirical characterization above.

Too bad.  You'll get over it, kid.

>I will not threaten you,
>as that is extremely unkind and uncouth, but would like a retraction.

This *is* a threat, of course, and it is meant
to be taken as such.  At any rate, you apparently
would like an enema too, though I seriously doubt
that Rob could give a shit what you would like
or not like.

I also suspect that your 'threat' had him rolling
on the floor from hysterical laughter.

>George William Herbert  UCB Naval Architecture Dpt.

Got any new ways to kill gooks?  Napalm was so
destructive to the environment, after all.

Fool.

--
"But it goes along with the other crap you write.  Brainless mindless
 tripe that springs odorously from that rancid hunk of garbage on your

oleg@gryphon.COM (Oleg Kiselev) (10/29/89)

In article <1989Oct27.122817.5028@telly.on.ca> evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) writes:
>It's an amusement. A recreation.

So is peering through a telescope at a local observatory after paying your
admission fee.

>There are people who make money off EVERY hobby.

And people will make a hobby of EVERY science (save, perhaps, high energy
physics).

>someone who has made a career (or at least
>a comfortable living) from model trains.

That's BUSINESS.  Not science.  Not recreation.  If you wish to call for
votes on biz.aquaria, do so in an appropriate group.

>Frankly, I admire people who are able to make a living at their
>favourite pastimes. Even computer programming. They're not common
>but they do exist.

Perhaps you are not familiar with the field, then.  Most people who I had to
work with so far would have been doing programming as a hobby if they did
not get paid to do it for a living.  Recreational computing is a hobby.  That
hardly makes computer science not a science.

I get a feeling that the majority of people voting NO on sci.aquaria are
those who weren't able to keep their goldfish alive when they were 10 and are
still so warped by the guilt and resentment that all mention of aquaria as a
serious subject causes them to react in a most peculiar way.
--
			"No regrets, no apologies"   Ronald Reagan

Oleg Kiselev            ARPA: lcc.oleg@seas.ucla.edu, oleg@gryphon.COM
(213)337-5230           UUCP: [world]!{ucla-se|gryphon}!lcc!oleg

fr@icdi10.UUCP (Fred Rump from home) (10/29/89)

Leibovitch) writes:
>In article <2341@vulpes.COM> reynard@vulpes.COM (R.  W.  F.  Clark) writes:
>>Did anyone tell you, Richard, that you have excellent
>>taste in hobbies?  What do you do for an occupation, collect
>>stamps?
>
>Some people make quite a good dollar buying and selling stamps.  So
>what?

Since this was brought up, are there any other philatelists out there?

I just wonder why there is no rec.philately out there.  Seems like every other
hobby has a group and the poor stamp collectors don't.  Are they too busy
collecting?
fr

--
This is my house.   My castle will get started right after I finish with news.
26 Warren St.             uucp:          ...{bpa dsinc uunet}!cdin-1!icdi10!fr

gwh@typhoon.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert) (10/29/89)

In article <371@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM> bondc@ursa-major.spdcc.COM (Asmodeus) writes:

>>I will not threaten you,
>>as that is extremely unkind and uncouth, but would like a retraction.
>
>This *is* a threat, of course, and it is meant
>to be taken as such.  At any rate, you apparently
>would like an enema too, though I seriously doubt
>that Rob could give a shit what you would like
>or not like.
>
>I also suspect that your 'threat' had him rolling
>on the floor from hysterical laughter.

The above by me was not intended to be a threat.  It was written
when i was tired and in a foul mood, and if it has been interpreted that
way i appologize.

>Got any new ways to kill gooks?  Napalm was so
>destructive to the environment, after all.

I do not approve of the use of violence in any normal situation.
The implication that i do is undeserved and insulting.

>Fool.

I may not be perfect.  I may not have a great moral basis for having
fun with ordinance.  But a fool i most certainly am not.

And i at least have the forwardness to sign all my postings.

bondc@spdcc.COM (Asmodeus) (10/29/89)

In article <1989Oct29.020940.9331@agate.berkeley.edu> gwh@typhoon.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert) writes:

>The above by me was not intended to be a threat.  It was written
>when i was tired and in a foul mood, and if it has been interpreted that
>way i appologize.

'I did not mean a canine creature when I used
 the word 'dog' and if it has been interpreted
 that way i appologize [sic].'

None but the most dimwitted need further interpretation.

>I do not approve of the use of violence in any normal situation.
>The implication that i do is undeserved and insulting.

Oh, *I* see ... all those munitions you're so
fond of playing with are just decorations.  Of
course.  So sorry, I should have known.

>I may not be perfect.  I may not have a great moral basis for having
>fun with ordinance.  But a fool i most certainly am not.

True, a fool you are not.  You are too much a
child to be a fool yet; I guess that makes you
a fool-in-training.

Keep it up, you're doing a great job.

>And i at least have the forwardness to sign all my postings.

Oh, I really can't stand it.  Please.  Everyone
knows exactly who I am.  As to the forwardness
of signatures, I certainly have *nothing* on a
snot-nosed brat who likes to play with guns and
signs his articles:

>maniac@garnet.berkeley.edu

where the uid is the significant operator.

Perhaps you'll stick around, G.I. Joe?  You might
well become too pathetic to stand later, but you're
quite humorous now.

--

tjw@unix.cis.pitt.edu (TJ Wood WA3VQJ) (10/31/89)

In article <476@icdi10.UUCP> fr@icdi10.UUCP (Fred Rump from home) writes:

>I just wonder why there is no rec.philately out there.  Seems like every other
>hobby has a group and the poor stamp collectors don't.  Are they too busy
>collecting?
>fr

They send their postings via the mails.

--
(UUCP)     {decwrl!decvax!idis, allegra, bellcore, cadre}!pitt!cisunx!cisvms!tjw
(BITNET)   TJW@PITTVMS  (or) TJW@PITTUNIX

jwi@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ) (10/31/89)

In article <21589@gryphon.COM>, oleg@gryphon.COM (Oleg Kiselev) writes:

> I get a feeling that the majority of people voting NO on sci.aquaria are
> those who weren't able to keep their goldfish alive when they were 10 and are
> still so warped by the guilt and resentment that all mention of aquaria as a
> serious subject causes them to react in a most peculiar way.

No, Oleg, many of the people who are voting NO on sci.aquaria are those who
are irritated at Richard's attempt to walk over anybody who doesn't agree
with him. My NO vote is against Richard, regardless of the name he supports.

Jim Winer -- The opinions expressed here are not necessarily
	     and do not represent nor in any way imply
	     of any other sane person and especially not
	     employer.
"My reply is that such pre-theoretical conceptual essences are often
riddled with deep ambiguity and internal incoherence, despite strong
convictions people have that they know what they mean." -- Aaron Sloman

hougen@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Dean Hougen) (11/01/89)

In article <1724@cbnewsj.ATT.COM> jwi@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ) writes:

>My NO vote is against Richard, regardless of the name he supports.
>
>Jim Winer

Thats just swell.  You don't care what you screw up or who you screw it up for.
As long as you can irritate somebody who has pissed you off, to hell with the
rest of the net.  Good attitude.  Thanks alot Jim.

I sincerely hope that when you go home tonight your psychopathic wife will
thrash you within an inch of your life.

Dean Hougen
--
"If ya dn't eat yer meat, ya can't have any pudding!
How can ya have any pudding if ya dn't eat yer meat?"