[news.groups] These new voting schemes

woods@ncar.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) (10/20/89)

   Recently we have all seen a lot of new voting schemes suggested whose major
goal (and a laudable one) is to provide a way of resolving
controversial naming issues. Without exception, they all solve this
problem but without addressing one crucial issue that is paramount:
VERIFICATION. The only reason why the current voting scheme works (by
"works" I mean that most site admins on the net are willing to abide by
the results of it) is that it is easily VERIFIABLE.  When the votes are
posted, anyone on the net can make sure their vote was tallied
correctly (and in the case of an admin, even trouble themselves to see
that votes cast by their users were for real), and anyone who can run
"wc -l" can verify that the ballots posted do in fact lead to the
stated result. In other words, the tools required for verification are
supplied with at least many versions of UNIX, which means that they can
be checked by a LOT of people.  With these "multiple vote" schemes this
will no longer be the case. For one thing, the bandwidth required to
post the results will now increase by an order of magnitude, as will
the complexity of the process needed to verify the results. No longer
will a simple "wc -l" suffice; specialized software would be required.
Putting aside my personal views on voting and the namespace, and
putting on my "single site administrator" hat, I would be reluctant to
accept the results of votes that cannot easily be verified, or where
the only verification comes from someone with a vested interest in the
result (i.e. the vote-taker).
  For these reasons, I am convinced that multiple-vote schemes are
unworkable.  The name of the group simply must be resolved before the
creation vote is taken. I can see two ways to do this: 1) Have a
separate vote on the name first. This would work as long as there are
only two names in the running (with more than two names, we obviously
bump into the same multiple vote verification problem).  Since most
naming controversies usually revolve around which hierarchy to place
the group in, this might work, picking one name in each hierarchy to
vote on. The disadvantage is that it will lengthen the creation process
considerably for groups which suffer from controversy over the name
(which might not be a bad idea depending on your point of view).  2)
Have a name czar or small group of czars choose which name to vote on.
This obviously requires finding a group of people that the net admins will
trust.
   Unless we do one of these two things, there will not be a workable
solution to naming controversies.

--Greg

sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (10/21/89)

In article <4771@ncar.ucar.edu>, woods@ncar.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) writes:
>   Recently we have all seen a lot of new voting schemes suggested whose major
> goal (and a laudable one) is to provide a way of resolving
> controversial naming issues. Without exception, they all solve this
> problem but without addressing one crucial issue that is paramount:
> VERIFICATION. The only reason why the current voting scheme works (by
> "works" I mean that most site admins on the net are willing to abide by
> the results of it) is that it is easily VERIFIABLE.

You make an very good point here.  While I would be willing to accept your
verification of the vote, perhaps others wouldn't.  OK, suppose we accept
Alien Well's method.  As I understand it, he proposed that the call for votes
would contain a list of possible group names, and voters could vote YES or NO
for any or all of the groups mentioned.  A table would be compiled of the
YES/NO votes, and some selection criteria applied to decide if the group gets
created, and what name it should have.

The results of the voting would be posted as follows:

                    YES    NO
sci.lith-dogs       123    98
rec.lith-dogs       142    23
rec.pets.lith-dogs  147     4

Then the list of voters could be posted in the following form:

group.name1 yes_or_no voter_name <voter@address>
group.name2 yes_or_no voter_name <voter@address>
group.name3 yes_or_no voter_name <voter@address>

Now I am no unix guru, but couldn't you verify the vote by doing something
like using grep to find all the yes votes for a specific name and piping that
into wc -l? Maybe something like:

grep "^sci.lith-dogs *yes" file >wc -l
grep "^sci.lith-dogs *no" file >wc -l
grep "^rec.lith-dogs *yes" file >wc -l

Never having used unix, I can't be sure, but I suspect that this wouldn't be
too hard to do.  I suspect I could find a way to do it on VMS, so I am sure
unix could handle it some way.

Yes, I realize that the size of the vote results would go up, but I think an
order of magnitude is a little pessimistic.  Wouldn't it just be multiplied by
the number of names under consideration?  Right now we send in one line per
voter for 1 group.  Under the new scheme, we would send in one line per voter
per group name.  In the aquaria case, this might be 5 or 6 possible name, but
usually it would only be 1 or 2.  In any case, would the increase in traffic
be more or less than the traffic generated by the flame wars over the name?
Just how much traffic is generated by vote summaries? Would making them an
order of magnitude larger really be the bad if it reduced the flamage over the
name selection?
--
USmail: Bob Sloane, University of Kansas Computer Center, Lawrence, KS, 66045
E-mail: sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu, sloane@ukanvax.bitnet, AT&T: (913)864-0444

Verification.

Yes, a good point. And a good argument for the Alien Wells scheme. It
would be easy enough to list the votes without a lot of bandwidth:

----------
	"PROPOSAL: discussions of War of the Worlds, the TV show"

The winner was "rec.arts.wotw" with 110-34. Because this did not meet
the 100 vote majority the group was not created:

				YES	NO
1	rec.arts.wotw		110	 34
2	sci.space.wotw		  1	172
3	rec.arts.tv.wotw	 87	  1
4	rec.arts.war-worlds	102	 34

Votes:

1 2 3 4	Name
Y - Y Y	peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva)
Y N Y N peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva)
N Y N N sexton@gryphon.com (Richard Sexton)
------------

There is another alternative to creating a Name Czar or going to a more
complex scheme... that is, forcing people to worry more about opposition
to the name. This would cut down the "I know I can get 600 votes so I'm
gonna call it comp.lang.piglatin, so there" type stuff. Either the BADNAME
vote proposal or my 100 NO vote proposal would serve this purpose.
--
Peter da Silva, *NIX support guy @ Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
Biz: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. Fun: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com. `-_-'

>  For these reasons, I am convinced that multiple-vote schemes are
>unworkable.

I agree with Greg on this...

> I can see two ways to do this: 1) Have a
>separate vote on the name first.

>Have a name czar or small group of czars choose which name to vote on.
>This obviously requires finding a group of people that the net admins will
>trust.

Greg forgets (3) which I suggested early on. A person who feels that the
name is incorrect sponsors their own separate voting on the preferred
consensus name. It is run in parallel, removing the delays on voting on the
name. The alternate name would be generated by consensus and not by a
net.czar, removing the mostly irrational fears about net.gods going crazy
and taking over all the free world. It doesn't add serious delays, lots of
complexity, is verifiable and doesn't focus excess power in the hands of a
few megalomaniacs like me.

It also guarantees (mostly) that naming arguments won't be done spuriously,
since it requies someont to put up and run an election, which isn't likely
to happen for silly reasons.

chuq

--

Chuq Von Rospach <+> Editor,OtherRealms <+> Member SFWA/ASFA
chuq@apple.com <+> CI$: 73317,635 <+> [This is myself speaking]

Trust Mama Nature to remind us just how important things like sci.aquaria's
name really is in the scheme of things.

newsuser@lth.se (LTH network news server) (10/21/89)

In article <6618@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:

(example of vote verification format)

>1	rec.arts.wotw		110	 34
>2	sci.space.wotw		  1	172
>3	rec.arts.tv.wotw	 87	  1
>4	rec.arts.war-worlds	102	 34
>
>Votes:
>
>1 2 3 4	Name
>Y - Y Y	peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva)
>Y N Y N peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva)
>N Y N N sexton@gryphon.com (Richard Sexton)

This is a very good proposal! It gives all the information, and it's also
compact (and can be checked).

How was it now about the votes? The name with the biggest margin wins,
and this margin must be > 100?

--
Bengt Larsson - Dep. of Math. Statistics, Lund University, Sweden
Internet: bengtl@maths.lth.se             SUNET:    TYCHE::BENGT_L

bee@cs.purdue.EDU (Zaphod Beeblebrox) (10/21/89)

Said peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva):
(in article <6618@ficc.uu.net>)

| [ ... ]
|
|Votes:
|
|1 2 3 4	Name
|Y - Y Y	peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva)
|Y N Y N peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva)
|N Y N N sexton@gryphon.com (Richard Sexton)

Actually this type of format could be used very easily to report the
modified STV (STV + "NO GROUP") that has been proposed.  Instead of Y
or N or -, put down the numerical position of the group in that
voter's preference list.  If "NO GROUP" is nowhere in the list, then
the others would be reported as -, indicating no support or opposition
for that group.  If "NO GROUP" is above a given group, then X is put
in the column for that group, indicating opposition to that name.
Hence the above might look like:

Votes:

1 2 3 4	Name
-------
1 - 2 3	peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva)
2 X 1 X peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva)
X 1 X X sexton@gryphon.com (Richard Sexton)

This would report very succinctly that the following votes had come
in:

peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva)
rec.arts.wotw
rec.arts.tv.wotw
rec.arts.war-worlds

peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva)
rec.arts.tv.wotw
rec.arts.wotw
NO GROUP

sexton@gryphon.com (Richard Sexton)
sci.space.wotw
NO GROUP

Personally I think that the modified STV is the best system by far.
It lets me vote for the groups I want, while preferring some names
over others.  It lets me make sure my vote will not be counted for
(indeed it will be counted against) groups whose names I disagree
with.  It also lets me vote for certain names while expressing no
preference either way on the rest.  I haven't seen any other scheme
that allows all this besides modified STV.

                                          B.E.E.
--
  Z. Beeblebrox   |  "Some girl with psychic powers asked me,
  (alias B.E.E.)  |   'T-Bone, what's your sign?';

mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) (10/22/89)

In article <6618@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Verification.
>
>Yes, a good point. And a good argument for the Alien Wells scheme. It
>would be easy enough to list the votes without a lot of bandwidth:
>
>----------
>	"PROPOSAL: discussions of War of the Worlds, the TV show"
>
>The winner was "rec.arts.wotw" with 110-34. Because this did not meet
>the 100 vote majority the group was not created:
>
>				YES	NO
>1	rec.arts.wotw		110	 34
>2	sci.space.wotw		  1	172
>3	rec.arts.tv.wotw	 87	  1
>4	rec.arts.war-worlds	102	 34
>
>Votes:
>
>1 2 3 4	Name
>Y - Y Y	peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva)
>Y N Y N peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva)
>N Y N N sexton@gryphon.com (Richard Sexton)
>------------

A most amusing example, which illustrates the problem with this scheme.
It fails to separate the two issues which are actually being voted on:
whether or not a group devoted to the topic should exist, and if so,
what its name should be.

I suggest that this approach be expanded as follows: a vote simply
saying "No" or "topic: no" would be considered a vote against the
group regardless of its name. Any vote containing "yes" or "topic: yes"
and/or a list of name yes/no votes would be considered a "yes" vote
for the group. A "topic: no" vote would have no influence on the
name vote.

Group creation would be based on (topic:yes) >= (topic:no) + 100.
The name under which the group should be created would be based on
the maximum of (name:yes) - (name:no) with maximum (name:yes) as a
tie-breaker.

Under this scheme, the group name in your example (assuming the
topic vote passed) would have been "rec.arts.tv.wotw".

--
Dave Mack				McDonnell Douglas Electronic Systems
uunet!inco!mack, inco%mack@uunet.uu.net			(703)883-3911

" Maynard) (10/22/89)

In article <35805@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
}Greg forgets (3) which I suggested early on. A person who feels that the
}name is incorrect sponsors their own separate voting on the preferred
}consensus name. It is run in parallel, removing the delays on voting on the
}name. The alternate name would be generated by consensus and not by a
}net.czar, removing the mostly irrational fears about net.gods going crazy
}and taking over all the free world. It doesn't add serious delays, lots of
}complexity, is verifiable and doesn't focus excess power in the hands of a
}few megalomaniacs like me.

We even have a test case running: the current vote on rec.aquarium. I
sent him a YES vote, and suggest that 1) the parallel vote be treated as
legitimate and 2) that everyone who thinks that sci.aquaria is misplaced
send him a YES vote.

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL   | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jay@splut.conmicro.com       (eieio)| adequately be explained by stupidity.

All of the proposals share another major fault: complexity.
Complexity breeds flaming.  It's hard to manage, sure to result in
misinterpretation, and increases bureaucracy.

I firmly maintain the guidelines have to be made shorter, not longer.

" Maynard) (10/22/89)

In article <37123@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
>All of the proposals share another major fault: complexity.
>Complexity breeds flaming.  It's hard to manage, sure to result in
>misinterpretation, and increases bureaucracy.
>I firmly maintain the guidelines have to be made shorter, not longer.

How do you propose solving the sci.aquaria syndrome, then? This is a
problem which will occur more and more frequently as we go on, unless
something is done.

Both pre-votes and naming czars will increase complexity, and they have
their own problems: pre-voting will drag out an already lengthy process,
and name czars will be subject to their own set of flames.

--

In article <2970@splut.conmicro.com> jay@splut.conmicro.com (Jay "you ignorant splut!" Maynard) writes:
>Both pre-votes and naming czars will increase complexity, and they have
>their own problems: pre-voting will drag out an already lengthy process,
>and name czars will be subject to their own set of flames.

Pre-votes certainly increase complexity and are clearly not the answer.
A name czar is a very *simple* solution, in that it can be expressed in
one sentence:
	"The group champion should then mail to name-server@czarsite and
	request a name for the group that in the name-server's opinion
	is the best name for the group."

So it's simple, not complex.  Now will it cause flames?  That can only be
told for sure by experiment.  It is my opinion that choosing a name is
not rocket science.  Assuming we want hierarchies (something I am not so
sure of) then I think we can define them well, and if they are defined well,
I think an independent party can pick a name through a fairly logical
process that's not super-subjective.

That won't stop somebody from disagreeing, of course.  But either their
disagreement will be silly, and ignored, or it will be a true borderline
case.  If it's a true borderline case, we just have to get the message out
that in such cases it doesn't matter where it goes, and the name-server's
arbitrary decision is as good as any other decision making process.

Real-world society hires judges for this purpose to deal with far more
difficult questions.  It works because we've agreed in advance to respect
the judge's decision, even though we all admit that some things could be
argued either way.

------------------------
Now this aquaria case is tough.  If the name-server had said "rec" then
it is possible the "sci" proponenets would have then gone out and taken
the argument public etc. etc.  But this degenerate case is certainly no
worse than we have now.  And we would have one answer to give -- "it could
be argued either way, but an impartial judge has picked one of the ways, let's
go with that."

The only mess is if the judge picks wrong too many times and has to be
replaced.  I think we could find a judge who would not fail in this way.

Remember that the planets don't fly off the sun if a group has the wrong
prefix.  All that matters, if you believe this whole hierarchy thing, is
that the choice be consistent.  Two currently suggested methods -- group
champion selection and voting -- will *not* be consistent.

In article <37323@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Superuser) writes:
> 	"The group champion should then mail to name-server@czarsite and
> 	request a name for the group that in the name-server's opinion
> 	is the best name for the group."

You really think that would have stopped Richard Sexton? Or if not him,
someone else who's a little more persuasive?
--
Peter da Silva, *NIX support guy @ Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
Biz: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. Fun: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com. `-_-'
"I feared that the committee would decide to go with their previous        'U`
 decision unless I credibly pulled a full tantrum." -- dmr@alice.UUCP

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (10/24/89)

As quoted from <2970@splut.conmicro.com> by jay@splut.conmicro.com (Jay "you ignorant splut!" Maynard):
+---------------
| In article <37123@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
| >All of the proposals share another major fault: complexity.
| >I firmly maintain the guidelines have to be made shorter, not longer.
|
| Both pre-votes and naming czars will increase complexity, and they have
| their own problems: pre-voting will drag out an already lengthy process,
| and name czars will be subject to their own set of flames.
+---------------

What, precisely, is wrong with a longer process?  alt.all can be used for
"quick-pop" (and, occasionally, quick-fizzle) newsgroups like alt.fusion and
the recent alt.quake; the mainstream Usenet can put up with a longer process
in order to get it *right*.

I personally think that a good idea would be a combination scheme:  a pre-vote
on the name, with names *suggested* by a core group of "name czars" -- only
they won't be czars, because their choices will be non-binding; other names
can be proposed in the name vote.

But in any case, *none* of the schemes really deal with the sci.aquaria
debacle; people who explicitly declare that they want a specific name in order
to defeat backbones' unwillingness to carry a specific group are clearly
abusing the system as badly as the spurious "comp.protocols.tcp-ip.eniac" vote
did.  Unfortunately, the only solutions to such abuse of the system would
abuse it even more, by effectively ending the largely anarchistic nature of
the Usenet.  (To a lesser extent, similar things are going on in the even-more-
anarchist alt hierarchy, concerning alt.sources.)

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery@NCoast.ORG
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu bsa@telotech.uucp

woods@ncar.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) (10/25/89)

In article <37123@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
>All of the proposals share another major fault: complexity.
>Complexity breeds flaming.  It's hard to manage, sure to result in
>misinterpretation, and increases bureaucracy.
>
>I firmly maintain the guidelines have to be made shorter, not longer.

   Brad and I have very different visions of what the net is and should be,
so I frequently find myself on opposite sides of debates from him. However
this time I think he has hit the nail right on the head. The more complicated
the voting procedure is, the more flames over petty procedural issues we will
have. Better to save our energies for flaming over something worth flaming
about! :-)
  Some of the counter-proposals in this thread are a little better, because
they do address the verification issue. However, now the problem is that
the vote results must be posted in a very specific format. This complicates
the procedure quite a bit. Instead of flames over the group name, we now will
get flames over the format of the voting results. I for one do not consider
that to be an improvement.
  We have to keep it SIMPLE. That's why I like either the NO vote threshhold
(again, simple and easy to verify) or having a name czar (or better, a small
group of name czars just to prevent one person with an axe to grind from
making a big issue out of a single case).
  I think that simplicity and verifiability are the most important things we
need in any new voting scheme. Flexibility of expression on the part of the
voters is nice, but not as important as keeping it simple and making it
easily verifiable.

--Greg

csu@alembic.acs.com (Dave Mack) (10/25/89)

In article <4806@ncar.ucar.edu> woods@handies.UCAR.EDU (Greg Woods) writes:
>In article <37123@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
>>All of the proposals share another major fault: complexity.
>>Complexity breeds flaming.  It's hard to manage, sure to result in
>>misinterpretation, and increases bureaucracy.
>  We have to keep it SIMPLE. That's why I like either the NO vote threshhold
>(again, simple and easy to verify) or having a name czar (or better, a small
>group of name czars just to prevent one person with an axe to grind from
>making a big issue out of a single case).

The NO vote threshhold, as has been pointed out repeatedly, suffers from
the weakness of allowing a small group of people who disapprove of the
*topic*, not the name, to block the creation of the group. Any mechanism
that can be abused eventually will be. (I can see the memo now: "All
AT&T employees WILL vote NO on comp.windows.motif!" [No slur of AT&T
intended, of course.])

A committee structure will suffer from internal dissent, communication
problems, rules of order, selection problems, and all the other ills
that committees are prone to. I presume we all remember the issue that
finally broke the Backbone Cabal?

In all, a single name czar is probably the best solution. The trick will
be pick someone who is acceptable to most people and is also stupid enough
to take the job. This person must be reasonably well-connected, experienced,
level-headed and able to deal with the inevitable abuse that will accompany
the job.

I am therefore announcing my candidacy for the position of Name Czar.

I will post an article detailing my campaign platform as soon as I've
come up with a good campaign slogan. Suggestions are welcome.

Dave Mack
Tomorrow's candidate today!

jmm@ecijmm.UUCP (John Macdonald) (10/26/89)

In article <1989Oct25.051238.4241@alembic.acs.com>
    csu@alembic.acs.com (Dave Mack) writes:

>The NO vote threshhold, as has been pointed out repeatedly, suffers from
>the weakness of allowing a small group of people who disapprove of the
>*topic*, not the name, to block the creation of the group. Any mechanism
>that can be abused eventually will be. (I can see the memo now: "All
>AT&T employees WILL vote NO on comp.windows.motif!" [No slur of AT&T
>intended, of course.])

I'm sure that this has also been countered repeatedly.  Any group large
enough to block a topic by the 100 NO rule is also large enough to
block almost all topics by the current 100 excess yes over no rule.
Only a small number of cases would be *changed* by adding the 100 NO
vote rule.  Of course, as we get continually larger voting turnouts,
this will change.

It is unlikely that any topic would get enough yes votes to outvote a
(hypothetical) AT&T all-employee-no campaign under the current rules.
(If such an event occurred there would be a flaming backlash against
AT&T the likes of which we have never seen before - ** hypothetical
immanent death of the net predicted ** :-)
--
John Macdonald

csu@alembic.acs.com (Dave Mack) (10/27/89)

In article <903@ecijmm.UUCP> jmm@ecijmm.UUCP (John Macdonald) writes:
>In article <1989Oct25.051238.4241@alembic.acs.com>
>    csu@alembic.acs.com (Dave Mack) writes:
>
>>The NO vote threshhold, as has been pointed out repeatedly, suffers from
>>the weakness of allowing a small group of people who disapprove of the
>>*topic*, not the name, to block the creation of the group. Any mechanism
>>that can be abused eventually will be. (I can see the memo now: "All
>>AT&T employees WILL vote NO on comp.windows.motif!" [No slur of AT&T
>>intended, of course.])
>

>I'm sure that this has also been countered repeatedly.  Any group large
>enough to block a topic by the 100 NO rule is also large enough to
>block almost all topics by the current 100 excess yes over no rule.
>Only a small number of cases would be *changed* by adding the 100 NO
>vote rule.  Of course, as we get continually larger voting turnouts,
>this will change.

We have recently seen votes that had over 800 votes counted, and at least
one recently which had over 100 NO votes and still passed. As the net
grows, the number of voters will grow, making the 100-NO-vote rule
increasingly unequitable and prone to abuse.

The 100-NO-vote rule provides a mechanism for censorship on a net-wide
basis. That wasn't what Peter Da Silva intended when he suggested it,
I'm sure, but it could be used that way. It's a bad idea.

Dave Mack

> The 100-NO-vote rule provides a mechanism for censorship on a net-wide
> basis. That wasn't what Peter Da Silva intended when he suggested it,
> I'm sure, but it could be used that way. It's a bad idea.

Censorship? I think it's been hashed out often enough that not having a
newsgroup does not constitute censorship. In any case, the 100 YES vote
rule provides a mechanism for fraud on a net-wide basis. Percentage
votes don't address the problem, they just up the ante a little. The
only mechanisms for opposing this fraud that would have worked on recent
votes are multi-way voting systems or the 100 no-vote rule.
--
`-_-' Peter da Silva <peter@ficc.uu.net> <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.
 'U`  --------------  +1 713 274 5180.

dan@ccnysci.UUCP (Dan Schlitt) (11/01/89)

In article <4806@ncar.ucar.edu> woods@handies.UCAR.EDU (Greg Woods) writes:
>In article <37123@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
>>All of the proposals share another major fault: complexity.
>>Complexity breeds flaming.  It's hard to manage, sure to result in
>>misinterpretation, and increases bureaucracy.
>>
>>I firmly maintain the guidelines have to be made shorter, not longer.
>
>  We have to keep it SIMPLE. That's why I like either the NO vote threshhold
>(again, simple and easy to verify) or having a name czar (or better, a small
>group of name czars just to prevent one person with an axe to grind from
>making a big issue out of a single case).
>  I think that simplicity and verifiability are the most important things we
>need in any new voting scheme. Flexibility of expression on the part of the
>voters is nice, but not as important as keeping it simple and making it
>easily verifiable.
>
>--Greg
It has been a pleasure to watch the political idealism that has run
through this thread.  But idealism has its limits and Brad and Greg
have hit upon two of the limits in the quoted material above.

Recall if you will, that there have been vigorous complaints that the
current system requires too much time to create a newsgroup and that
the complex guidelines get in the way.

I suggest that there are three things which are required of a useful
and effective voting system.

1) It must be simple.
2) It must be verifiable.
3) It must give a definitive result.

The present system, no matter what its other faults, satisfies these
three requirements.  I am yet to be convinced that the proposed
changes, save the one introducing a "no vote" threshold, satisfy these
three requirements.

Introduction of a threshold for no votes that would prevent the
creation of the newsgroup would be a significant change.  It is really
impossible to judge what it would do by looking at past votes.  Under
the present system it really doesn't make much difference if you vote
against the creation of a group because a no vote can be offset by a
yes vote.  The introduction of the threshold significantly increases
the value of a no vote.  A simple threshold like 100 no votes means no
number of yes votes can offset the no vote; Percentage thresholds are
not quite so drastic in effect.

The result will be that voter behavior will be radically changed from
the past.  It will pay to vote no and people will do so.  It weights
the scale against group creation (the intention of the proposers), but
how heavily it does so is hard to evaluate.  My guess is that it does
so much more than its supporters intend.

--
Dan Schlitt                        Manager, Science Division Computer Facility
dan@sci.ccny.cuny.edu              City College of New York