[news.groups] CALL FOR DISCUSSION: comp.unix.digest.*

evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) (11/01/89)

Amongst the complaints of stagnation, the flaming about namespace, and
the creation (sigh) of alt.sex.masturbation, I would like to solicit
comments on an idea I've been sitting on for a while.

I would like to propose three new groups:

comp.unix.digest
comp.unix.digest.d
comp.unix.digest.request

(I'm not religiously devoted to that naming scheme. It seems
appropriate, but I'm willing to listen to better alternatives.)

PURPOSE:

comp.unix.digest is intended to be an 'electronic magazine' in the same way
as, say Unix World, but on a totally volunteer basis (and without ads :-)

The scope of it would specifically include (but not be limited to)
- Product reviews of Unix-related hardware and software;
- Details of industry events which don't otherwise receive wide distribution;
- Opinion and analysis pieces on relevant issues;
- Progress reports on Unix-related developments anywhere.

It would specifically exclude official company statements and new product
announcements. Employees may not review their own company's products,
but VARs and dealers may review products they resell.

comp.unix.digest.d would be a place where people would discuss (or
add to) issues raised in comp.unix.digest.

comp.unix.digest.request has a twofold purpose:
- To suggest topics people might like to write about;
- For readers to suggest what they'd like to see;

DISTRIBUTION:

comp.unix.digest would be moderated, the other two unmoderated. I propose
myself as moderator (qualifications below).

The intent of this is to produce it in digest form (ala comp.risks).
I would also act, literally, as an editor - rejecting badly written or
inflammatory pieces (one can be controversial without being inflammatory),
and possibly editing others to make them more concise and/or readable.

Ultimately, if this works well and stabilizes, there would be a number of
writers who would either cover specific 'beats', work on assignments
(so that five people aren't re-inventing the same wheel at the same
time), or just submit something at random.

What makes me think I can edit the works of others or have the judgement
to accept or reject certain articles? I have a graduate degree in
Journalism, and have served as writer and editor for a number of
newspapers, including the Toronto Sun and the Toronto Star (before
getting into computers). I am presently a regular contributor to
Computing Canada on Unix issues, and I'm working on revitalizing the
newsletter of /usr/group/cdn.

COPYRIGHT:

At this point in time, I am proposing a compilation copyright on
the moderated group. This is to recognize the input I plan to give the
'digest' through editing and choice of content. The copyright I propose
explicitly grants unlimited distribution rights of the compilation,
provided that the 'digest' itself is not altered for re-distribution or
sold. I do not believe that to be too restrictive.

CONCLUSION:

What I would like to find out is:

1) Is there widespread enough interest in such an idea at all? Would
   people read it and/or write for it?

2) Is it acceptable enough to justify being in the conventional
   namespace, or do I have to join/create an alternate hieracrchy?

3) Even if people are wary of this idea's ability to succeed (or my
   ability to edit it), is it at least worth a trial run?

I'm going to do this anyway on my own system for local distribution.
My interest now is knowing whether or not it would be worthwhile to
have netwide participation and readership.
--
  Evan Leibovitch, Telly Computing, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
                 evan@telly.on.ca / uunet!attcan!telly!evan

aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) (11/01/89)

In article <1989Oct31.184149.17813@telly.on.ca> evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) writes:

>I would like to propose three new groups:

>comp.unix.digest
>comp.unix.digest.d
>comp.unix.digest.request

>(I'm not religiously devoted to that naming scheme. It seems
>appropriate, but I'm willing to listen to better alternatives.)

I think rec.mag.unix-digest would be more appropriate for an electronic
magazine. rec.mag would then be used instead of
comp.unix.digest.{d|request} until there was traffic to warrant a
rec.mag.unix-digest.d or rec.mag.unix-digest.reqs

As to the existence itself, I think this is a good idea, and would
support a suitably named and moderated group.

aem

--
a.e.mossberg / aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu / aem@umiami.BITNET / Pahayokee Bioregion
Anthony's Law of Force: Don't force it, get a larger hammer.

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (11/01/89)

and there is a moderated group
	comp.unix

We don't need a new mechanism.
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.
Use a domain-based address or give alternate paths, or you may lose out.