[news.groups] Richard Sexton

msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) (10/30/89)

Hear, Hear!!!

Richard, take a break from the net for a while.  You're taking it too
seriously.

Mark
--
Mark Smith, KNJ2LH                All Rights Reserved
RPO 1604               You may redistribute this article only if those who

dsill@ark1.nswc.navy.mil (Dave Sill) (10/30/89)

I'm sick and tired of Richard Sexton's verbal diarrhea on news.groups.

I refuse to allow his blathering to cause me to unsubscribe from this
group, and I'd really rather not have to automatically kill his
articles.  I doubt that any amount of public outcry will cause him to
cease his offensive behavior (the sci.aquaria fiasco demonstrated his
resistance to that).

Please stop spoiling news.groups for the rest of us, Mr. Sexton.

Dave Sill (dsill@relay.nswc.navy.mil)

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (10/31/89)

In article <Oct.30.09.58.06.1989.3294@topaz.rutgers.edu> msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) writes:
>Hear, Hear!!!
>
>Richard, take a break from the net for a while.  You're taking it too
>seriously.

But! It's important! There are issues here! Agendas, hidden and otherwise!
It's REALLY IMPORA.
		    .
		      .
		       .
		       .
		       .
		       .
Maybe I'll take a break form the net for a while. I'm taking it too
seriosly.

I would like to hear the other Mark Smiths opinion on all of this
before I go, though.

--
You don't want to send mail to Richard. He's dead.

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (10/31/89)

In article <211@ark1.nswc.navy.mil> Dave Sill <dsill@relay.nswc.navy.mil> writes:
>Please stop spoiling news.groups for the rest of us, Mr. Sexton.

Oh, foo. The only person in this whole discussion that seems to be in any
reasonable possesion of his marbles is Greg Woods, and certainly Richard is
doing a better job than many of the other participants.

If each side stopped baiting the other, we'd see lots fewer inane postings.
It works both ways.

<csg>

rissa@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Patricia O Tuama) (10/31/89)

In article <89495@pyramid.pyramid.com> csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:
>Oh, foo. The only person in this whole discussion that seems to be in any
>reasonable possesion of his marbles is Greg Woods,

I don't know, Carl.  I used to think Greg Woods walked on water.  Now
after reading his "editorial" comments as moderator of .newgroups, I'm
not so sure.  It sure strikes me as an abuse of power.

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (11/01/89)

In article <211@ark1.nswc.navy.mil> Dave Sill <dsill@relay.nswc.navy.mil> writes:
>I'm sick and tired of Richard Sexton's verbal diarrhea on news.groups.

Me too. I put me in my kill file long ago.

>I refuse to allow his blathering to cause me to unsubscribe from this
>group, and I'd really rather not have to automatically kill his
>articles.

But you just said you were sick of me. Could t be you are only sick of me
re: the .aquaria debate ?

>I doubt that any amount of public outcry will cause him to
>cease his offensive behavior (the sci.aquaria fiasco demonstrated his
>resistance to that).

I don't recall any offensive behaviour. It seems defensive from where
I sit.

At any rate, and I've said this over a dozen times now, if you put
/.aqur/h:j in your kill file, it will kill off the stuff you don't
want to see. There's probably even some spiffed up fancy way
of killing articles on with .aqur in the header from just me.

>Please stop spoiling news.groups for the rest of us, Mr. Sexton.

Please use mail and stop spoiling news.grous for the rest of us, Mr. Sill.

--
You don't want to send mail to Richard. He's dead.

tjw@unix.cis.pitt.edu (TJ Wood WA3VQJ) (11/01/89)

In article <9963@attctc.Dallas.TX.US> rissa@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Patricia O Tuama) writes:
 In article <89495@pyramid.pyramid.com> csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:
  Oh, foo. The only person in this whole discussion that seems to be in any
  reasonable possesion of his marbles is Greg Woods,

 I don't know, Carl.  I used to think Greg Woods walked on water.  Now
 after reading his "editorial" comments as moderator of .newgroups, I'm
 not so sure.  It sure strikes me as an abuse of power.

I don't mind people being in possesion of the marbles.  It just annoys
me when they want to take all the marbles and go home.

Terry
--
(UUCP)     {decwrl!decvax!idis, allegra, bellcore, cadre}!pitt!cisunx!cisvms!tjw
(BITNET)   TJW@PITTVMS  (or) TJW@PITTUNIX

alien@cpoint.UUCP (Alien Wells) (11/01/89)

I don't believe that I'm sticking up for Richard, but the brief time I've spent
in news.groups, and the, er, detritus I have seen him subjected to, has made me
appreciate his better qualities.  Not that it isn't kind of fun seeing him
covered in detritus ... ;-)

In article <211@ark1.nswc.navy.mil> Dave Sill <dsill@relay.nswc.navy.mil> writes:
>I'm sick and tired of Richard Sexton's verbal diarrhea on news.groups.

I've seen Richard post to a couple of groups, and post to alt.aquaria
extensively.  He's like a lot of people (myself included).  If he is treated
reasonably he's a reasonable guy.  If things start being flung at him, he
starts flinging back.  I'm sure there are some people who will disagree
(some of them violently), but it's pretty clear to me that he didn't start
the flame war.  Richard started the process of moving alt.aquaria into the
mainstream heirarchy.  He chose a controversial name - which is well within
his rights from what I can tell from the guidelines I've seen posted.  He
was immediately objected to an extremely strong barrage of increasingly
personal and abusive attacks.  Richard being Richard, he didn't just roll
over and play dead.  I can't blame him, I wouldn't have either.  If his
proposal really is as bad as his detractors say, he will simply lose the
vote - especially with all the politicking that is going on.  I really
don't see why people insist on painting him as the anti-christ.

>I refuse to allow his blathering to cause me to unsubscribe from this
>group, and I'd really rather not have to automatically kill his
>articles.  I doubt that any amount of public outcry will cause him to
>cease his offensive behavior (the sci.aquaria fiasco demonstrated his
>resistance to that).

Why don't you just kill anything with *aqua* in the title.  Or just
judiciously use the 'k' key.  If people would stop flaming about the
great injustice being done and what an asshole Richard is, we could get
this vote over with and either establish sci.aquaria or go on to a vote
for rec.aquaria (which would certainly win).

Of course, one of the people flaming Richard the hardest is trying to insert
interference votes for a name that almost nobody wants ... not to mention the
people claiming that if the vote goes in Richard's favor that they are going
to lobby site administrators to boycott the group because they don't like the
name ... not to mention the site administrator who is claiming that he is
going to try to get sites to boycott the group whatever it ends up being called
because Richard TRIED to get a name he didn't like ... with attitues like
these, it seems unlikely that people are going to stop flaming Richard, and
I don't expect or ask Richard to stop flaming back.

>Please stop spoiling news.groups for the rest of us, Mr. Sexton.

Gee ... I can't wait to get out of this filthy excuse for a group and get
back to quality news feeds from people like Mr. Sexton.  This is worse than
rec.autos.  If I didn't feel compelled to stay subscribed until the voting is
over I would have hit the 'u' key long ago.  As it is, I will hang around
until things settle posting to answer legitimate questions or discussions
(of which there haven't been any for a good while), returning flames when
my temper threshold is passed (just so it doesn't look like Richard is alone
in his views), or adding a thought to another thread that I happen to notice
(like the posting I made about multiple votes as opposed to STV).

I would have appreciated your complaint a lot more if you had not singled
Richard out and complained about the other people suffering from 'verbal
diarrhea' like Chuq.  (By the way, has Chuq made up his mind yet whether he
still considers it his moral duty to do 'everything possible' to destroy
Richard, or was he serious when he was talking about burning out and
actually letting a vote and the will of the people decide the matter.  It
kind of sounded like kvetching to me ... and he certainly hasn't been
very quite since ...).

cook@pinocchio.Encore.COM (Dale C. Cook) (11/02/89)

I'm sure at this point no one really cares, but for the record I
was initially opposed to putting the fishy group in sci and sent
in my NO vote accordingly.  Since then there has been so much
abuse heaped on Richard and so much crying from the net.pundits
(shades of comp.women and the eniac wars) that I have changed my
mind.  Today I sent a change vote and hope that sci.aquaria
passes with flying colors!  Viva USEnet and death to the tyrants!

        - Dale (N1US)   Encore Computer Corporation, Marlborough, Mass.

INTERNET:  cook@encore.com	"A reasonable man adapts himself to the
UUCP: buita \			 world, an unreasonable one persists in
    talcott  } !encore!cook	 trying to adapt the world to himself.
   bellcore /			 Therefore, all progress is due to the
				 unreasonable man."  - G.B. Shaw