[news.groups] Call For Discussion: rec.arts.wrestling

njs@uunet.UU.NET (Nicholas J. Simicich) (10/31/89)

I've been following the pro wrestling discussion in rec.sport.misc for
a while, and contributing to it occasionally.  I'm frankly not
interested in Triathelons, Cricket, and so forth, except occasionally.
I'm never interested in World Cup results.  Thus, I've been attempting
to construct a kill file suitable for seeing only wrestling articles.
It's not working.  It takes longer to run the kill file than to read
the newsgroup.

If I were more interested in sports in general, I wouldn't mind.  But
frankly, pro wrestling doesn't seem to go with the potpourri of sports
discussed there.  Pro wrestling is a soap opera, with some staged
acrobatics.  Many of the wrestling readers don't want to see the other
articles, and the sports fans don't want to see ours.  When I posted
an article in rec.sport.misc, asking for email responses so that I
could determine interest in splitting out a wrestling group, I got one
favorable response from someone who has been attempting to build a
kill file to get rid of wrestling articles, and had missed mine.
Wrestling just doesn't fit in.

About the newsgroup name:  There is a real sport of wrestling that is
practiced at the Olympic level and in High School and College.  If
there is ever to be a newsgroup to discuss that sport, it should
probably be rec.sport.wrestling.  With pro wrestling out of
rec.sport.misc, "real" wrestling could be discussed there as well.

Another possibility is rec.arts.tv.wrestling.  But there is a lot more
to wrestling than goes on on TV.  There are local shows by independent
promoters which never make it to TV, and may not even be advertised.
So the TV part of the label is not appropriate.

A final possibility was talk.wrestling.  rec.arts.wrestling just
seemed more appropriate, since going to matches or watching them on TV
is a recreational activity.

I briefly thought about sci.wrestling, so that it could get into
Europe :-), but discarded the idea.

As for a charter, how about:

   A newsgroup to discuss Professional Wrestling and related
   exhibition "sports".

I can't imagine that this group should have a moderator or be
moderated.

Followups to news.groups.

--
Nick Simicich --- uunet!bywater!scifi!njs --- njs@ibm.com (Internet)

geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) (11/01/89)

Pro wrestling -- an art?!

Well, I guess you can't call it a sport, either.

If soap operas can be art, I guess pro wrestling can be an art, too.

:-)

(Seriously, though, there's got to be a better place for this, doesn't
 there?)

--
Geoff Allen                  \  I don't speak for WINCO or DOE,
{uunet|bigtex}!pmafire!geoff  \  and they don't speak for me.

dav@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (William David Haas) (11/01/89)

In article <868@scifi.UUCP> scifi!njs@uunet.UU.NET (Nicholas J. Simicich) writes:

>I briefly thought about sci.wrestling, so that it could get into
>Europe :-), but discarded the idea.

And we should also have sci.wrestling.aquaria for cage matches. :-)

(Well, I thought it was funny).

chip@ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (11/02/89)

I'd say "rec.arts.pro-wrestling" is a better name.  It makes obvious the
distinction between wrestling-as-sport and wrestling-as-entertainment.
--
You may redistribute this article only to those who may freely do likewise.
Chip Salzenberg at A T Engineering;  <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>

rwg@Solbourne.COM (Rick Gillespie) (11/02/89)

In article <868@scifi.UUCP> scifi!njs@uunet.UU.NET (Nicholas J. Simicich) writes:
>About the newsgroup name:  There is a real sport of wrestling that is
>practiced at the Olympic level and in High School and College.  If
>there is ever to be a newsgroup to discuss that sport, it should
>probably be rec.sport.wrestling.  With pro wrestling out of
>rec.sport.misc, "real" wrestling could be discussed there as well.
>
>A final possibility was talk.wrestling.  rec.arts.wrestling just
>seemed more appropriate, since going to matches or watching them on TV
>is a recreational activity.

I wouldn't care too much for talk.wrestling since we don't get talk
groups here, but I don't think we need to worry about that. We're
in a rec group now so I can't imagine being forced to a less
distributed hierarchy.

I don't have much problem with the "arts" designation. But a little
voice in my head keeps complaining: the wrestlers ARE athletes, and
some of the best in the world. I would like to see Magic Johnson
super-plex someone off the top rope without destroying himself or
his opponent.  I hate to see the wrestlers, themselves, denigrated.

But it *is* only entertainment (gee, unlike other professional sports)
and scripted at that. So, I can live with the "arts" designation.

>I briefly thought about sci.wrestling, so that it could get into
>Europe :-), but discarded the idea.

I guess "scientific" wrestlers like Curt Hennig don't count. :-)

>As for a charter, how about:
>
>   A newsgroup to discuss Professional Wrestling and related
>   exhibition "sports".

I would remove the "related exhibition sports" part. I wouldn't
look in a wrestling group to find roller derby articles.

Rick Gillespie				| Solbourne Computer, Inc.
UUCP: ...![uunet,boulder]!stan!rwg	| 1900 Pike Rd.
Internet: rwg@solbourne.com		| Longmont, CO 80501
"If you want to BE the man, you've got	| (303) 678-4723
 to BEAT the man!"			|

kevin@mips.COM (Kevin Kuhn) (11/02/89)

In article <254F438B.10992@ateng.com> chip@ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>I'd say "rec.arts.pro-wrestling" is a better name.  It makes obvious the
>distinction between wrestling-as-sport and wrestling-as-entertainment.
>--

IMHO the obvious choice is rec.sport.rasslin.  Everybody knows wrestling
is the olympic, college and high school sport, while rasslin is the T.V
 and mud and jello type sport  :)) .

Kevin Kuhn			kevin@mips.com
MIPS Computer Systems		{ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!kevin