[news.groups] Final call for votes on "rec.aquarium" group move proposal.

bryce@cbmvax.UUCP (Bryce Nesbitt) (10/29/89)

I hereby formally propose a new newsgroup to be called "rec.aquarium".  Since
the "sci." vs. "rec." placement war was never settled, a vote for "rec." is
only symmetrical.  With the exception of the rules already bent by the "sci."
proposal, I have attempted to follow all group creation rules to the letter.

This group is intended as a simple mainstream translation of the currently
successful and high quality group "alt.aquaria".  The charter remains the
same:

  OLD:	alt.aquaria		The aquarium & related as a hobby.
  NEW:	rec.aquarium		The aquarium & related as a hobby.

Mail your YES or NO vote one of the addresses listed below.  Vote changes
are allowed, note in the subject and body that you are changing.

		uunet!cbmvax!bryce
		bryce@commodore.COM
		rutgers!cbmvax!bryce
		bryce@cbmvax.UUCP

Your subject line must contain your YES, NO or CHANGED vote.  The body of the
message must contain the vote, your full name, and net address.  Improperly
formatted votes will be returned to sender uncounted.  Posted votes do not
count.

Voting will be from Thursday October 19 until Thursday November 9, 1989.

The name "rec.aquarium" was chosen for several reasons.  I feel that
distribution in "sci" would be inappropriate.  The justifications given
by Mr. Sexton are neither sufficient nor correct.  Quality "rec" groups
*are* distributed in Europe, including Holland.  Here is a quote from
Mr. Sexton's formal proposal:

>	Whats (sic) the difference ? It turns out that sci goes to Europe
>	and rec, for the most part, doesn't. (rec, for example
>	doesn't go to Germany and Holland).

A grab for better distribution is not reason for a new "sci" group.
The name "aquarium" is used for absolute clarity.  Artistic expression should
be used in the body of messages, not the name of group.

A rec.aquarium group probably makes sense even if a more technical aquarium
group is passed.  Please decide for yourself based on the wealth of opinions
expressed in news.groups.

Do NOT send "sci.aquaria" votes to my address.  Votes for that proposal go to:
richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard  gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV

|\_/|  . ACK!, NAK!, EOT!, SOH!
{X o} .     Bryce Nesbitt, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
 (")        BIX: bnesbitt
  U	    USENET: bryce@commodore.COM -or- uunet!cbmvax!bryce
Lawyers: America's untapped export market.

oleg@gryphon.COM (Oleg Kiselev) (10/30/89)

Please note that "rec.aquarium" is a blatant attempt to subvert sci.aquaria
posting by someone who, not counting on the votes alone being sufficient to
defeat sci.aquaria, is trying to subvert it by creating even more chaos.

If you want SCI.AQUARIA to be created, send a YES vote to richard@gryphon.Com.
If you DON'T want SCI.AQUARIA to be created, send a NO vote.
In ALL cases, Nesbitt's "call for votes" is best boycotted or voted NO.
--
			"No regrets, no apologies"   Ronald Reagan

Oleg Kiselev            ARPA: lcc.oleg@seas.ucla.edu, oleg@gryphon.COM
(213)337-5230           UUCP: [world]!{ucla-se|gryphon}!lcc!oleg

NMBCU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (10/30/89)

In article <21643@gryphon.COM>, oleg@gryphon.COM (Oleg Kiselev) says:

>Please note that "rec.aquarium" is a blatant attempt to subvert sci.aquaria
>posting by someone who, not counting on the votes alone being sufficient to
>defeat sci.aquaria, is trying to subvert it by creating even more chaos.
>
>If you want SCI.AQUARIA to be created, send a YES vote to richard@gryphon.Com.
>If you DON'T want SCI.AQUARIA to be created, send a NO vote.
>In ALL cases, Nesbitt's "call for votes" is best boycotted or voted NO.

Agreed. It was poorly timed call on Mr. Nesbitts part. He should have at least:
(1) waited for Richards vote to end (as I plan to do); (2) called for a
discussion on what rec.* (or misc.*) name most people feel comfortable with (as
I still plan to do with a second name survey); and (3) then use the preferred
name (not your own personal choice-unless it is the preferred) in the actual
call for votes (as I plan to do).

NOTE: I only plan to take the above action if the sci.aquaria vote fails.

                                                           Nelson Broat

fr@icdi10.UUCP (Fred Rump from home) (11/02/89)

In article <8910312128.AA16430@cbmvax.UUCP> bryce@cbmvax.commodore.com (Bryce Nesbitt) writes:

>For news.announce.newgroups.  Yes, I insist.  There's no point in half-taking
>a vote.  Please post this.
>I hereby formally propose a new newsgroup to be called "rec.aquarium".  This
>vote comes from the same unresolved discussion as the "sci.aquaria" vote.

If you can wait until Nov 5 when the other vote is done, you may get some
votes. But personally, I'll wait till then.
Fred Rump

--
This is my house.   My castle will get started right after I finish with news.
26 Warren St.             uucp:          ...{bpa dsinc uunet}!cdin-1!icdi10!fr