[news.groups] call for discussion: comp.lang.specification

jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Jack Campin) (10/21/89)

What do people think of having a newsgroup to discuss specification and
requirements languages - Z, Larch, OBJ, Lotos, VDM, metoo, CSP, CCS, Petri
nets, RML, Forest, hardware description languages,... and related issues?
A thought prompted by wanting to ask a question about them and realizing it
didn't fit into any newsgroup I could think of.

I prefer the name above, despite its unfortunate ambiguity (it could also
be read as specification OF computer languages, a subtopic of my intended
one) but could live with comp.software-eng.formal or comp.specification.

Usenet being what it is, someone's bound to suggest something much more
specific before long; better we get in first with a top-level group to
cover the whole shebang.

This is a call for discussion only, so no email please; keep it public.
Followups directed to news.groups (where this topic has to compete with
an interminable thread about fish, so be voluble!).
--
Jack Campin  *  Computing Science Department, Glasgow University, 17 Lilybank
Gardens, Glasgow G12 8QQ, SCOTLAND.    041 339 8855 x6045 wk  041 556 1878 ho

ladkin@icsib (Peter Ladkin) (10/24/89)

i support jack's call for a newsgroup on specification. i don't think it's
a subgroup of language interests, so i prefer the title comp.specification.

peter ladkin

malton@csri.toronto.edu (Andrew Malton) (10/24/89)

By all means let us discuss programming methodology on the net.
Do we need a new newsgroup? I hope not. I suggest either (a)
using sci.logic, or (b) using comp.software-eng. My own reasons
for reading them has been, at least partly, to participate in
discussions about formal programming methods.

The sci.logic isn't used very much right now, and could do with a
wider scope. Perhaps programming methodology could contribute to
the present stream there concerning Church's thesis.

The comp.software-eng is used quite a lot but rarely mentions formal
methods. In my opinion this is the best place to discuss programming
methodology. Even there, a logically technical discussion would not
be out of place. Logic and software-engineering are two sides of the
same coin, anyway: didn't Dana Scott coin (sorry) the term `axiom
engineering' to refer to it?

Andrew Malton, Dept of Computer Science, U of Toronto.

bard@brigid.cs.cornell.edu (Bard Bloom) (10/24/89)

This sounds like a good idea.  I've worked some in CCS, and I'd like to have
a place where I can see if CCS concepts are relevant to other kinds of tools.
Also, I do the theory of CCS, and I'd like to know something about the
practice ... and the practice of specifications in general.

 Bard Bloom
 Asst. Prof. of C.S.
 Cornell University

infpve@utrcu1.UUCP (Peter van Eijk) (10/24/89)

In article <3614@midway.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> Jack Campin <jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk> writes:

>What do people think of having a newsgroup to discuss specification and
>requirements languages - Z, Larch, OBJ, Lotos, VDM, metoo, CSP, CCS, Petri

Being involved in LOTOS, i am much in favor of a newsgroup devoted to
it. I suppose there is some cross fertilisation possible between those
topics, so they might be bundled somehow.
I would be in favor of a hierarchy starting at comp.lang.specification
as we would be discussing topics related to the *expression* of
concepts.

I am involved in the distribution of LOTOS software, and from that
experience i can predict that interest will come from Europe, Japan,
Korea, the rest of the british commonwealth, and the US, in that
order.
--
	Peter van Eijk University of Twente  Dept Informatica / IPS
	P.O. Box 217; 7500 AE Enschede The Netherlands

drabik@hslrswi.uucp (Drabik Pascal) (10/24/89)

In article <3614@midway.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Jack Campin) writes:

>    From: jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Jack Campin)
>    Date: 20 Oct 89 17:37:47 GMT
>    Sender: woods@ncar.ucar.edu
>
>    What do people think of having a newsgroup to discuss specification and
>    requirements languages - Z, Larch, OBJ, Lotos, VDM, metoo, CSP, CCS, Petri
>    nets, RML, Forest, hardware description languages,... and related issues?

   I wander why there is  not yet such a newsgroup.   It is clear that
there we need it.

Pascal.

DRABIK Pascal                Tel:     +41-31-63-32-22         % You'll never %
ASCOM Tech Ltd               Telefax: +41-31-63-36-07         %  know until  %
KTHD                                                          %  you try...  %
Belpstrasse, 23              e-mail : drabik@hslrswi.uucp     % ~~~~~~~~~~~~ %
CH-3000 Berne 14 Switzerland                                  % ~  ~~~~~~  ~ %

sean@castle.ed.ac.uk (S Matthews) (10/24/89)

In article <3614@midway.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> Jack Campin <jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk> writes:

>What do people think of having a newsgroup to discuss specification and
>requirements languages - Z, Larch, OBJ, Lotos, VDM, metoo, CSP, CCS, Petri
>nets, RML, Forest, hardware description languages,... and related issues?
>A thought prompted by wanting to ask a question about them and realizing it
>didn't fit into any newsgroup I could think of.

Considering that the UK Ministry of Defence has started a program to
make sure that al safety critical software is formally verified, this is
an idea whose time has come.

comp.lang.formal would be fine; after all if we want a newsgroup to
discuss say Z then we can always form comp.lang.Z as well (though
considering the amount of stuff on the Z mailing list recently this is
not an immediate danger (if any of you are reading this---consider this
deliberately provocative).

There are several mailing lists already going about some of these, so
would it not be a good idea to let them know what is suggested?

Sean

mitchell@community-chest.uucp (George Mitchell) (10/24/89)

I have not seen enough traffic to support the creation of a group focused on
comp.lang.specification.  If a need is perceived for a special forum, I would
suggest broadening the scope to comp.sw.formal[-methods].  This would also
place the group in a more appropriate place in the hierarchy.
--
/s/ George   vmail: 703/883-6029
email:  mitchell@community-chest.mitre.org    [alt: gmitchel@mitre.arpa]

chambers@chest.dec.com (10/25/89)

In article <3614@midway.cs.glasgow.ac.uk>, jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Jack Campin) writes...

>What do people think of having a newsgroup to discuss specification and
>requirements languages - Z, Larch, OBJ, Lotos, VDM, metoo, CSP, CCS, Petri
>nets, RML, Forest, hardware description languages,... and related issues?

It will get my vote

sartin@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Rob Sartin) (10/25/89)

I'm in favor of the concept of having discussions on specification
language (and other formal and informal aspects of software
engineering).  I think that it would be best to have them in
comp.software-eng for now.  I never would have thought to look in
sci.logic for dicussions about this.

Rob Sartin			internet: sartin@hplabs.hp.com
Software Technology Lab 	uucp    : hplabs!sartin
Hewlett-Packard			voice	: (415) 857-7592

pyoung@zaphod.axion.bt.co.uk (Peter Young) (10/25/89)

From article <3614@midway.cs.glasgow.ac.uk>, by jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Jack Campin):
> What do people think of having a newsgroup to discuss specification and
> requirements languages - Z, Larch, OBJ, Lotos, VDM, metoo, CSP, CCS, Petri
> nets, RML, Forest, hardware description languages,... and related issues?
> A thought prompted by wanting to ask a question about them and realizing it
> didn't fit into any newsgroup I could think of.

I would welcome the creation of such a group. It would be a valuable forum
for those of us who are interested in the area of formal specification
languages.

It might also encourage a wider interest in the subject in the US.

> I prefer the name above, despite its unfortunate ambiguity (it could also
> be read as specification OF computer languages, a subtopic of my intended
> one) but could live with comp.software-eng.formal or comp.specification.

comp.theory.specification also springs to mind.

I also think that if there is insufficient support for a newsgroup
then a mailing list could fulfil this function, admittedly with a
smaller readership.

  Pete Young                 pyoung@axion.bt.co.uk
  British Telecom Research Labs,SSTF, Martlesham Heath IPSWICH IP5 7RE
  Phone  +44 473 645054

slf@stl.stc.co.uk (Steve Fagg) (10/25/89)

I'm in favour of the creation of the group as described, but I'm more
concerned than the original poster about the ambiguity of the name
comp.lang.specification possibly implying discussion of the specification of
languages (a fascinating enough topic in its own right though it be). I'd like
to see it as comp.software-eng.<something> as long as the <something> was
general enough to include at least all the languages mentioned in the original
posting. I hope such a group will be a useful forum for discussions on the
relations *between* the various languages available for specifying reqiurements
and systems, ie. questions of the sort: What language is good for doing

--
Regards

Steve Fagg      ( slf@stl.stc.co.uk +44-279-29531 Ext 2437 )
STC Technology Ltd., London Road, Harlow, Essex, CM17 9NA

jwo@bcrka204.bnr.ca (John O'Leary 1616199) (10/26/89)

In article <3614@midway.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> Jack Campin <jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk> writes:

>What do people think of having a newsgroup to discuss specification and
>requirements languages - Z, Larch, OBJ, Lotos, VDM, metoo, CSP, CCS, Petri
>nets, RML, Forest, hardware description languages,... and related issues?

What a good idea! I would like to see such a newsgroup on the net.

John O'Leary, VHDL Group
Bell-Northern Research Ltd, Ottawa
JWO@BNR.CA

jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Jack Campin) (10/27/89)

"Steve Fagg" <slf@stl.stc.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm in favour of the creation of the group as described, but I'm more
> concerned than the original poster about the ambiguity of the name
> comp.lang.specification possibly implying discussion of the specification
> of languages (a fascinating enough topic in its own right though it be).

I concede on this one.  I can think of something else wrong with it - these
systems are more than just languages: Z, for example, incorporates a weak
set theory, CCS a temporal logic, and OBJ a computational model that is
halfway to being implemented in hardware.  I suspect Peter Ladkin may have
had something like that in mind.

> I'd like to see it as comp.software-eng.<something> as long as the
> <something> was general enough to include at least all the languages
> mentioned in the original posting.

I now incline towards "comp.specification", as being neutral on the issue
of whether this stuff is mathematics or software engineering.  I would hope
to get people from both extremes participating - the theoreticians are
hiding in clandestine mailing lists at the moment; they don't think of
themselves as software engineers and aren't interested in filtering out the
discussions that go on there about software metrics and management issues.
And we've already heard from a software engineer who said he wouldn't ever
have thought of using sci.logic for this.  Think of this group as something
like the table they put across the border fence in Korea when diplomats
from North and South need to talk :-).

> I hope such a group will be a useful forum for discussions on the relations
> *between* the various languages available for specifying requirements and
> systems, ie. questions of the sort: What language is good for doing

This was exactly the sort of question that prompted me to suggest this - for
the life of me I couldn't think of an appropriate place to put it.

--

keck@shiva.trl.oz (Brian Keck) (10/27/89)

In article <3614@midway.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> Jack Campin <jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk> writes:

>What do people think of having a newsgroup to discuss specification and
>requirements languages - Z, Larch, OBJ, Lotos, VDM, metoo, CSP, CCS, Petri
>nets, RML, Forest, hardware description languages,... and related issues?

There would be a lot of interest down here

>I prefer the name above, despite its unfortunate ambiguity (it could also
>be read as specification OF computer languages, a subtopic of my intended
>one) but could live with comp.software-eng.formal or comp.specification.

comp.lang.specification is OK

Brian Keck                                  ACSnet[Internet]:b.keck@.trl.oz[.au]
Telecom Australia Research                               Phone: +1 61 3 541 6407
P.O. Box 249 Clayton, Victoria 3168, Australia

mph@inmos.co.uk (Mike Harrison) (10/27/89)

In article <2356@stl.stc.co.uk> "Steve Fagg" <slf@stl.stc.co.uk> writes:
>I'm in favour of the creation of the group as described, but I'm more
>concerned than the original poster about the ambiguity of the name
>comp.lang.specification possibly implying discussion of the specification of
>languages (a fascinating enough topic in its own right though it be).

Its actually more complicated than this - I used Z (and subsequently me-too)
to describe the relations of program units in (and subsequently simulate the
behaviour of) an Ada Program Library, which is using a specification language
to capture (part of) the specifications of a language ! :-).

Seriously, I support the creation of such a group, which I believe to be allied
to (but distinct from) formal methods.

I really don't care much about the name.
"That which we call a rose ..." :-)

Mike Harrison.

--
Michael P. Harrison - Software Group - Inmos Ltd. UK.
UK : mph@inmos.co.uk             with STANDARD_DISCLAIMERS;

johnz@basser.oz (John Zic) (10/31/89)

I vote "yes" to setting up a newsgroup for the discussion of
specification "languages".

May I also suggest that a mailing list be established if there are
insufficent numbers of people interested in the topic?

Regards
	John Zic	johnz@jandj.oz.au || johnz@cs.su.oz.au

				Correctness proofs are hard.
				Reality proofs are harder.

--
	John Zic			|	Correctness proofs are hard.
ACSnet:	johnz@cs.su.oz.au		|	Reality proofs are harder.

rs@mrcu (Bob Smith) (11/10/89)

In article <3614@midway.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> Jack Campin <jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk> writes:

>What do people think of having a newsgroup to discuss specification and
>requirements languages - Z, Larch, OBJ, Lotos, VDM, metoo, CSP, CCS, Petri
>nets, RML, Forest, hardware description languages,... and related issues?

There are several people who would be in favour of a formal specifications
group at Marconi Research Centre. (We are especially interested in Z and
Object-oriented Z).
--
Robert Smith                 |  Tel: +44 245 73331 x.3215
GEC-Marconi Research Centre  |  Fax: +44 245 75244