[news.groups] Re^2: Call For Discussion: talk.religion.pagan

steve@groucho.ucar.edu (Steve Emmerson) (11/10/89)

aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) writes:

>I object to the use pagan, because while that may be a term that druids,
>wiccans, and the like use for themselves, it does not imply
>mystic/nature religions but all religions not clearly christian islamic
>or jewish. I.e. it is, I feel, inappropriate. A newsgroup for such
>groups would be fine, just under another name.

It is, I believe, simply common courtesy to address an individual or
group as they themselves prefer to be called.  (This often gets carried
to extreme lengths; as in addressing a dictator as "president for
life").  Refusing to call a group by their own name often seems to me
to reflect more on the biases of the refusing group than on the nature
of the named group (for example, anti-abortion people often call those
who disagree with them "pro-abortion"; though "pro-choice" is the term
prefered by the other group).

I also believe the term "pagan" to be anthropologically accurate;
though the scientific definition may differ from that found in simple
dictionaries.*

It is, perhaps, unfortunate that dictionaries are in the business of
documenting current usage, rather than accurate usage.  I would imagine
that the word "pagan" is commonly used, to a large extent, by people of
a somewhat "fundamental" religious persuasion -- and then
unflatteringly.  Thus it enters the dictionary as such.  Pity.

-----
Steve Emmerson       steve@unidata.ucar.edu

* Would someone be so kind as to post the "pagan" entry found in, say,
the unabridged Oxford dictionary -- or an anthropology textbook?