[news.groups] Call For Discussion ; Rec.Kids

mesard@bbn.com (Wayne Mesard) (11/12/89)

rang@cs.wisc.edu (Anton Rang) writes:
>In article <1989Nov10.013424.17574@ddsw1.MCS.COM> benfeen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) writes:
>>Yes, I agree that rec.kids is a little silly - soc.kids is better.
>
>  Or perhaps talk.kids...for kids talking with each other.

Get it right.  soc.foo is for foo's to talk with each other.  talk.foo
is for people to talk _About_ foo's.  [And what a messy places t.p.g or
t.a would be if it were otherwise.]

Soc is the right place.  Now is it a good idea?

--
unsigned *Wayne_Mesard();   "This is a show for people with great haircuts
Mesard@BBN.COM               and short attention spans."

edhew@xenitec.on.ca (Ed Hew) (11/13/89)

In article <1989Nov8.023420.12396@ddsw1.MCS.COM> benfeen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) writes:
>On misc.kids, there has been some support for a (moderated?) kids-only
>group.  It seems that there are many kids here, but they have difficulty
>meeting in a common forum.  Any takers?

(and in no way commenting or detracting from the call for discussion),
how would you define "Kids"?  How will you decide who is a "kid" and
qualified to post to rec.kids?  Note the lack of smiley's in this paragraph.

The point is that once the definition of kids is established, one would
quickly get to the stage where we had kids of different development stages
posting, and this wouldn't mix any better than (what an example!) posters of
different experience level on the current 'NET groups.

What would be the charter (have I missed it somewhere)?

  Ed. A. Hew       Authorized Technical Trainer        Xeni/Con Corporation
  work:  edhew@xenicon.uucp	 -or-	 ..!{uunet!}utai!lsuc!xenicon!edhew
->home:	 edhew@xenitec.on.ca	 -or-	   ..!{uunet!}watmath!xenitec!edhew
  # This posting has absolutely nothing to do with what I do for a living.

lori@hacgate.UUCP (Lori Barfield) (11/14/89)

Some people seem to be forgetting that *no one* needs permission
to contribute to UseNet.  A Call for Discussion is *not* a request
for permission--  it is a standard, required practice for the
(potential) creation of a new group.

Certain people have suggested practicing discrimination against this
particular group of people because they aren't interested in what those
people might say on their own net.  Or that it may encourage them
<gasp> to follow and contribute to other nets.  (God *forbid* we should
have even more teenagers out there expressing their opinions with
us *real* people.)

The same as anyone else, if Ben Feen follows the rules and gets
the votes, the group is created.  Discussion of whether one likes
the *type* of people who would contribute to that net is irrelevant.

...lori