[news.groups] Announcing: A survey on newsgroup voting changes

alien@cpoint.UUCP (Alien Wells) (11/10/89)

In article <17313.25580246@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>This sample vote shows the problem with having write-in votes. How do I say
>that I don't want the guidelines changed?  I can vote against all of the
>specific proposals, but how do I vote against write-in topics?  Not that I
>want to in this case, but how would I do it in a newsgroup vote?

Ah, I thought about this - and the reason I included it is as follows (sorry
for not putting that in my original posting).  MAUVE says that you have to
have 100 more YES than NO votes.  A write-in would also have to have a
larger YES-NO margin than any other.  So, in order to win - it would take
a well publicized campaign.  If the campaign is well publicized, the
opposition has their chance to vote against it.

I'm not emotionally attaced to write-ins, but if you don't have them then
you HAVE to require the Initiator to include ALL name proposals he
receives (no matter how silly or close to others he is including).
--
--------|	Fall not in love, therefore.  It will stick to your face.
Alien   |   					- Deteriorata

sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (11/14/89)

In article <2814@cpoint.UUCP>, alien@cpoint.UUCP (Alien Wells) writes:
> In article <17313.25580246@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>>This sample vote shows the problem with having write-in votes. How do I say
>>that I don't want the guidelines changed?  I can vote against all of the
>>specific proposals, but how do I vote against write-in topics?  Not that I
>>want to in this case, but how would I do it in a newsgroup vote?
>
> Ah, I thought about this - and the reason I included it is as follows (sorry
> for not putting that in my original posting).  MAUVE says that you have to
> have 100 more YES than NO votes.  A write-in would also have to have a
> larger YES-NO margin than any other.  So, in order to win - it would take
> a well publicized campaign.  If the campaign is well publicized, the
> opposition has their chance to vote against it.

You assume that the write-in campaign was publicly announced somewhere.
Private Email could be used to line up a write-in vote among supporters
of the write-in name without anyone outside knowing about it. For example, I
ran a vote recently on news.software.anu-news.  I could have posted something
to the mailing list for anu-news about writing in sci.anu as a name and gotten
about 100-200 votes.  I suspect no one would have noticed.  I think write-in
votes are a marginal improvement to the MAUVE scheme at best, and introduce
complications that aren't really needed.  Do you really think it is likely
that the "best" name for the group will be left out of the original list? If
it is , is this really a BIG problem, big enough to introduce the possibilty
of write-in campaigns biasing things? I don't.
--
USmail: Bob Sloane, University of Kansas Computer Center, Lawrence, KS, 66045
E-mail: sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu, sloane@ukanvax.bitnet, AT&T: (913)864-0444