[news.groups] Call For Discussion: Comp.graphics.images

flynn@pixel.cps.msu.edu (Patrick J. Flynn) (11/10/89)

In article <5535@eos.UUCP> eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) writes:
>In article <1989Nov7.090932.25040@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> jeffm@uokmax.UUCP (Jeff Medcalf) writes:
>>
>>The time has come for...
>>comp.graphics.wizards   :-)
>
>Actually you might not be too far off the mark. half 8)
>The problem is we will go the way of unix-wizards.
>I think in addition to images, a graphics hierarchy might
>best structure like the current unix hierarchy with a questions
>subgroup, .siggraph, .sources, etc. etc.  I wish I had time to
>propose an organization.

You and me both (one-quarter ;-)).
I don't like 'wizards' much; it's not very descriptive.

How about

comp.graphics.tools - for XXX-to-YYY converters, software product
                      recommendations, etc.

comp.graphics.hardware - "Which VGA should I buy" questions, etc.

comp.graphics.theory - RTNEWS [VERY valuable], Q&A about *techniques*
                       as opposed to products, latest info on the
                       DECWRL archive

comp.graphics.images - where to get images, etc.

[ this is fun!  how about `talk.graphics', where we can discuss
  the relative merits of SciVi, Virtual Reality, Cyberspace,...

  naaah.  :-)]

Disclaimer: just an idea.
--
Patrick Flynn, CS, Mich. State U., flynn@cps.msu.edu

"Custom tailored to fit everybody!"

eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (11/10/89)

Patrick Flynn makes a good set of proposals to subdivide comp.graphics.
I think one group I would want to add would be a comp.graphics.pc.
I believe this would be useful because of the frequency of cross-post with
the pc groups.  If similar special groups for mac, sun, sgi, stardent, es,
etc., sure, no problem.

Another gross generalization from

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@aurora.arc.nasa.gov
  resident cynic at the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
  "If my mail does not reach you, please accept my apology."
  {ncar,decwrl,hplabs,uunet}!ames!eugene
  		Support the Free Software Foundation (FSF)

davidbe@sco.COM (The Cat in the Hat) (11/14/89)

news.groups's own koblas@tillamook.cs.uoregon.edu (David Koblas) said:
-
-Thus by including in the inital charter of a limit of 2Mb a
-month comp.graphics.images will just be in the top 20 newsgroups
-for volume (this is roughly 64Kb a day of data).

Good!  We have another person who's volunteering to moderate the
newsgroup.  You're not going to keep volume down in any other way.

AND...

For those of you who are getting tired of me making this "so you're going
to moderate" point, let me point this out:  Before a vote can be held
on whether to create a moderated newsgroup, you need a moderator.  I'm
perfectly willing to let a moderated images group go by; I will vote no
on an unmoderated one.   I'm probably not the only one who feels this way.

So find yourself a moderator, and we can end this discussion, and get to
a vote.

--
        David Bedno aka davidbe@sco.COM: Speaking from but not for SCO.

		   The keyboard's been drinking, not me.