[news.groups] CALL FOR DISCUSSION: comp.sys.ncr

rick@pavlov.tmc.edu (Richard H. Miller) (11/14/89)

I have not seen any discussions on NCR equipment in comp.sys.misc. Why do you
think that a group is warranted when there has been no traffic on the subject?
Lately, there have been too many calls for new groups to ESTABLISH a group
without any demonstrated need or traffic in the appropriate misc group. (I did
the same thing when I issued a call for comp.sys.unisys and was roundly flamed
because there was no need to have a separate group since there was no traffic
on it). I oppose this for the same reason....no established traffic

If you want to discuss NCR equipment, either

1) post to comp.sys.misc and if the traffic on NCR equipment is a significiant
portion of the postings, then call for comp.sys.ncr or

2) run a mailing list and when the traffic volume of your list becomes large,
call for a news group.

Richard H. Miller                 Email: rick@bcm.tmc.edu
Asst. Dir. for Technical Support  Voice: (713)798-3532
Baylor College of Medicine        US Mail: One Baylor Plaza, 302H
                                           Houston, Texas 77030

bjb@ncrorl.Orlando.NCR.COM (Barbara Bowen) (11/14/89)

In article <1810@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> rick@pavlov.tmc.edu (Richard H. Miller) writes:
>.... I oppose this for the same reason....no established traffic
>If you want to discuss NCR equipment, either ...
>2) run a mailing list and when the traffic volume of your list becomes large,
>call for a news group.
>Richard H. Miller                 Email: rick@bcm.tmc.edu

Excuse me, but have you not been paying attention?  The original call for
discussion was from the person running the MAILING LIST!  This fact should
negate your opposition.

EMAIL:  barbara.bowen@Orlando.NCR.COM   (...ncrlnk!ncrorl!bjb)