[news.groups] trail.* and topical.*

mesard@bbn.com (Wayne Mesard) (11/14/89)

craig@com2serv.c2s.mn.org (Craig S. Wilson) writes:
> And, how about allowing for
>topical, relatively short-lived groups to extend beyond the 6 months?
>That way they wouldn't have to get promoted, only to go dormant a few
>months later.

These are two separate issues: a "proving ground" for proposed groups,
and a place for groups that most folks assume are going to be
short-lived.  (Call this "topical.*" or "ce.*" (for current events) or
"temp".)

They'll have a lot in common--groups in both heirarchies are ephemeral,
it should be easy to create a group in both, both should be able to give
birth to a mainstream group--but there are important differences in
intent and administration which argue for keeping them seperate.

Recent cases where a current events hierarchy would have come in handy:

  topical.earthquake
  topical.inet-worm
  topical.fusion
  topical.beijing
  topical.berlin

Of course, in each case there is at least one group which appropriately
handled the discussion, but:

  There was invariably a string of "where do I post about messages?"

  Articles were cross-posted everywhere which lead to people being
  annoyed and/or fragmented discussions as participants tried to trim
  the Newsgroups line.

  People who were only interested in this specific topic had to wade
  through the regular articles from the group(s).  And the flip side of
  that: regular readers who weren't particularly interested in the "hot
  topic" suddenly had their quiet little group invaded by (gasp)
  outsiders.

--
void *Wayne_Mesard();         Mesard@BBN.COM         BBN, Cambridge, MA