[news.groups] renaming a group

kjones@talos.uucp (Kyle Jones) (11/15/89)

Bob Sloane writes:
 > [...] there just isn't any mechanism for renaming a group.  The best
 > you can do is delete the old group and create a new one.  [...]
 > While renaming is a good idea (IMHO) it just isn't technically
 > feasable.

Some procedure needs to be ordained for renaming groups, in preparation
for the day when a group really needs to be renamed.  So, to start the
discussion, my idea of how a rename should be done appears below.

To rename <old-group> to <new-group>,

  1. Issue a "newgroup <new-group>" control message.
  2. Post note to news.admin asking admins to alias <old-group> to
     <new-group> at their sites.
  3. After a short period of time to allow the above newgroup to
     propagate, say one day, issue a "newgroup <old-group> moderated"
     control message.  This will inhibit further postings to the old
     group.
  4. After allowing enough time for articles in <old-group> to expire
     normally, say 21 days, issue a "rmgroup <old-group>" to remove the
     old newsgroup.

gil@banyan.UUCP (Gil Pilz@Eng@Banyan) (11/16/89)

In article <1989Nov14.191833.19704@talos.uucp> kjones@talos.uu.net writes:
>Some procedure needs to be ordained for renaming groups, in preparation
>for the day when a group really needs to be renamed.  So, to start the
>discussion, my idea of how a rename should be done appears below.

>  2. Post note to news.admin asking admins to alias <old-group> to
>     <new-group> at their sites.

Never hoppen mon. I mean, sure you could post the note but most site
admins either won't see it or won't do anything about it. From what
I've read in this group before apparently most sites are run on a
"hands off - if it ain't broke don't fix it" basis. You need some sort
of automatic aliasing message that works like a newgroup message (i.e.
by default the admin doesn't have to do anything). Of course this
opens the doors for "aliasing wars" but umm . . .

Gilbert W. Pilz Jr.       gil@banyan.com