[news.groups] Call for Discussion: Create a new newsgroup talk.politics.american

kebera@alzabo.uucp (Krishna E. Bera) (11/08/89)

nbyram%earthquake.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Nicholas Byram) writes:

>but the subject matter would be specifically domestic American issues.

In Canada, we have can.politics for discussion of domestic Canadian issues.
Perhaps you should consider a similar heirarchical name (usa.politics).
Of course, this would mean few outside the US would receive the group
(fine by me).

Do you include all OAS countries in "domestic America"? If not,
I think it might be clearer to name the group talk.politics.usa.

Cheers,
Krishna E. Bera
--
Programmer on the loose
kebera@alzabo.UUCP

edhew@xenitec.on.ca (Ed Hew) (11/13/89)

In article <1989Nov6.201935.18696@twwells.com> bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) writes:
>In article <1989Nov6.000842.12017@agate.berkeley.edu> nbyram%earthquake.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Nicholas Byram) writes:
>: I have noticed that talk.politics.misc is becoming a very crowded newsgroup.
>: Given that a talk.politics.mideast has been set up, I think that it would be
>: a good idea to set up another sub-newsgroup (whatever it is called). How
>: about a "talk.politics.american"?
>
>Might be a good idea. But how about calling it talk.politics.usa?
>
>"America" includes one or two :-) more countries than ours.

Without so much as getting out a map of the western hemisphere, I can
readily hazard a guess that South American countries added to the US,
Canada, Mexico (how many are there in Central America?) might be greater
than 2 or three, let alone 1.  [yes, I saw the smiley above.]

If the proposed charter were for a group to discuss politics of the
Western Hemisphere, then talk.politics.american might be appropriate.
Is this the intent?

>Bill                    { uunet | novavax | ankh | sunvice } !twwells!bill
>bill@twwells.com

  Ed. A. Hew       Authorized Technical Trainer        Xeni/Con Corporation
  work:  edhew@xenicon.uucp	 -or-	 ..!{uunet!}utai!lsuc!xenicon!edhew
->home:	 edhew@xenitec.on.ca	 -or-	   ..!{uunet!}watmath!xenitec!edhew

msb@sq.sq.com (Mark Brader) (11/16/89)

> Do you include all OAS countries in "domestic America"? If not,
> I think it might be clearer to name the group talk.politics.usa.

Let's make it even simpler.  If the name is "talk.politics.american"
then there will *inevitably* be repetitive postings about exactly which
meaning of "American" is meant.  In Canada and in the USA, *most*
people use the word to mean "USA-an", so that's what I'm assuming
was meant -- I was away and missed the original posting.

On that assumption I, too, urge that if the group is formed then it
should be "talk.politics.us" or "talk.politics.usa".

--
Mark Brader			"Nicely self-consistent. (Pay no attention to
SoftQuad Inc., Toronto		 that D-floating number behind the curtain!)"

This article is in the public domain.