[news.groups] Groupware vote is STV

stodol@freja.diku.dk (David Stodolsky) (11/15/89)

Allbery) writes:
>> You will have noted that the proposed voting mechanism is STV.
>
>No, it's not.
>
>What is this, now every possible alternate voting method is going to be
>referred to as "Single Transferrable Vote"?
>
>It is a single vote method, but that vote is not transferrable.
>
>Under a Single Transferrable Vote System, the vote would look something
like
>this:
>
>	[ ]	sci.groupware
>	[ ]	comp.groupware
>	[ ]	no group
>
>The ballot, filled out, would look like this:
>
>	[3]	sci.groupware
>	[1]	comp.groupware
>	[2]	no group

In the *.groupware format this would be:
cns

In the Call for Votes it says:

>Since doubt remains about the preferred name for the group, a single
>transferable vote procedure is being used. This means you rank each choice
>that you approve of, with your most preferred choice first.

I have also gotten no votes for not calling for discussion,
while in the Call for Votes it says:

>For a summary of discussion about the proposed newsgroup, see the
accompanying
>post, "Sci.groupware discussion summary", in news.groups.
>
>Some delay between the discussion and the call for votes has resulted due to
>the new procedures being used and technical difficulties.

I am beginning to wonder if people (who vote or post responses) read the Call
for Votes.

David S. Stodolsky, PhD      Routing: <@uunet.uu.net:stodol@diku.dk>
Department of Psychology                  Internet: <stodol@diku.dk>
Copenhagen Univ., Njalsg. 88                  Voice + 45 31 58 48 86
DK-2300 Copenhagen S, Denmark                  Fax. + 45 31 54 32 11

You're right. I apologise. I was confused by the somewhat unconventional
method of indicating ones choices.
--
`-_-' Peter da Silva <peter@ficc.uu.net> <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.
 'U`  --------------  +1 713 274 5180.