[news.groups] A proposal for a new voting scheme

alien@cpoint.UUCP (Alien Wells) (11/10/89)

In article <1989Nov8.014837.21854@alembic.acs.com> csu@alembic.acs.com (Dave Mack) writes:
>There are two major problems here. The first is that it should be possible
>for someone to vote for the group without voting for any of the names. The
>current consensus seems to be that most people don't really care about
>what name the group winds up with as long as it gets created.

This is a good point.  Perhaps there should be an entry for simply YES or NO
to the entire thing (although that could easily be accomplished by putting
YES or NO in each proposal - I doubt there will ever be so many that this
would be a major chore).

>This permits one of the obvious STV pathologies unless the changes from
>the previous paragraph are incorporated: it is possible to have a vote
>in which several hundred people vote YES, no one casts a NO vote,
>yet no newsgroup is created because no name received more than 100
>YES votes.

I think that this is actually a place where this proposal is significantly
better than STV.  If people are actually voting properly (ie: everything that
they would find acceptable is voted YES), the only way that you could have
all proposals fail is if each vote taken independantly would fail.  If that
is the case, then the group should not be created.  Otherwise, MAUVE is
simply choosing between the options that would have passed, picking the
one that would have had the 'best' vote.
--
--------|	Fall not in love, therefore.  It will stick to your face.
Alien   |   					- Deteriorata

In article <4470@solo10.cs.vu.nl> maart@cs.vu.nl (Maarten Litmaath) writes:
>I like the proposal, but there's another point to consider: what if there's
>a close finish of 2 (or more) groups?
>Example:
>			YES	NO
>	sci.aquaria	666	500
>	news.aquaria	665	500
>
>Shouldn't both groups be created?

You should only create two different groups if they are to have different
charters.  If they are in the same vote, they are probably a disagreement
about the namespace to put a single group in.

If it is really two charters for different groups, it should be handled
in different votes.  In this case, if sci.aquaria was created and enough
people STILL wanted an additional news.aquaria, they could have a second
vote over the new charter.
--

In article <1989Nov11.004856.6078@NCoast.ORG> allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
> As I noted the last time this voting scheme was suggested, it lends itself to
> intentional or unintentional divide-and-conquer proposal failure if there are
> more YES than NO votes by a reasonable margin (whether the "reasonable margin"
> in question is 0, 100, or a percentage of votes is immaterial to this
> discussion) but the YES votes are spread out over sufficiently many newsgroup
> names that the group fails.  This does not properly reflect the desires of the
> voters.

Since the voters can vote for *all* the names they're interested in, I hardly
think this is likely. And as I noted before, any scheme is subject to
pathological cases: "Voting Paradoxes". Also, ties for names are unlikely,
and can be reasonably solved by net.god fiat. Give someone (spaf?) the
tiebreaking vote.

> An alternative suggestion is that if there are more YES than NO votes by
> whatever margin is decided upon, the name with the most YES votes will be
> created (or used, if it is an existing group).

This is a reasonable alternative, but to take the sci.aquaria farce as an
example, it's not really meaningful to combine votes for sci.aquaria and for
rec.aquaria as mutual "yes" votes. A mutual hate society, maybe.
--
`-_-' Peter da Silva <peter@ficc.uu.net> <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.
 'U`  --------------  +1 713 274 5180.

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (11/13/89)

As quoted from <6931@ficc.uu.net> by peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva):
+---------------
| > An alternative suggestion is that if there are more YES than NO votes by
| > whatever margin is decided upon, the name with the most YES votes will be
| > created (or used, if it is an existing group).
|
| This is a reasonable alternative, but to take the sci.aquaria farce as an
| example, it's not really meaningful to combine votes for sci.aquaria and for
| rec.aquaria as mutual "yes" votes. A mutual hate society, maybe.
+---------------

Richard Sexton and Oleg Kiselev aside, most people voted FOR sci.aquaria on
the merits of the "aquaria", not the "sci".  I submit that in fact, the votes
could be combined to reflect interest in a newsgroup on the subject under
*any* name -- even in the case of *.aquaria.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery    allbery@NCoast.ORG, BALLBERY (MCI Mail), ALLBERY (Delphi)
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu bsa@telotech.uucp

edhew@xenitec.on.ca (Ed Hew) (11/13/89)

In article <4470@solo10.cs.vu.nl> maart@cs.vu.nl (Maarten Litmaath) writes:
>I like the proposal, but there's another point to consider: what if there's
>a close finish of 2 (or more) groups?
>Example:
>			YES	NO
>	sci.aquaria	666	500
>	news.aquaria	665	500
>
>Shouldn't both groups be created?

Institute a required 2/3 minimum majority in addition to the minimum
100 yes-no plurality, and the above problem goes away, as it should.

>(Monica Cellio) | maart@cs.vu.nl, mcsun!botter!maart

  Ed. A. Hew       Authorized Technical Trainer        Xeni/Con Corporation
  work:  edhew@xenicon.uucp	 -or-	 ..!{uunet!}utai!lsuc!xenicon!edhew
->home:	 edhew@xenitec.on.ca	 -or-	   ..!{uunet!}watmath!xenitec!edhew

?? An alternative suggestion is that if there are more YES than NO votes by
?? whatever margin is decided upon, the name with the most YES votes will be
?? created (or used, if it is an existing group).

Me: This is a reasonable alternative, but to take the sci.aquaria farce as an
Me: example, it's not really meaningful to combine votes for sci.aquaria and for
Me: rec.aquaria as mutual "yes" votes. A mutual hate society, maybe.

> Richard Sexton and Oleg Kiselev aside, most people voted FOR sci.aquaria on
> the merits of the "aquaria", not the "sci".

I noticed.

> I submit that in fact, the votes
> could be combined to reflect interest in a newsgroup on the subject under
> *any* name -- even in the case of *.aquaria.

In this case they would have voted for *both* groups.

Combining all the votes for all the groups would then count these folks
*twice*. Can you say "let's stuff the ballot box by putting lots of names
in?". Sure you can.
--

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (11/14/89)

In article <1989Nov12.162221.10189@NCoast.ORG> allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:

>most people voted FOR sci.aquaria on the merits of the "aquaria", not the "sci"

This is your opinion, which is a good thing, because if you had stated that
as a fact, I would have been duty bound to point out that you are wrong.

--
This article was made from the finest quality words and sentances. Minor
imperfections in syntax, like the grain in fine leather, serve to enhance

" Maynard) (11/14/89)

In article <22222@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>In article <1989Nov12.162221.10189@NCoast.ORG> allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
>>most people voted FOR sci.aquaria on the merits of the "aquaria", not the "sci"
>This is your opinion, which is a good thing, because if you had stated that
>as a fact, I would have been duty bound to point out that you are wrong.

Prove it.

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL   | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jay@splut.conmicro.com       (eieio)| adequately be explained by stupidity.

jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) (11/14/89)

Richard Sexton writes:

> >most people voted FOR sci.aquaria on the merits of the
> >"aquaria", not the "sci"
>
> This is your opinion, which is a good thing, because if you had stated that
> as a fact, I would have been duty bound to point out that you are wrong.

... and I will feel duty bound to point out that YOU are wrong.  But let's
ask those who voted on sci.aquaria:

If you voted yes, please send me your response to this question:

 I voted YES to get an aquaria group, regardless of name.  ___
 I would have voted NO to rec.aquaria.                     ___

And if you voted no, please send me your response to this question:

 I voted NO because of the name.               ___
 I would have voted NO to any aquaria group.   ___

Thanks.

Jeff

--
           "'Tis not too late to seek a newer world."

                           -- Alfred, Lord Tennyson

SLOANE@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Bob Sloane) (11/14/89)

In article <6950@ficc.uu.net>, peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> In this case they would have voted for *both* groups.
>
> Combining all the votes for all the groups would then count these folks
> *twice*. Can you say "let's stuff the ballot box by putting lots of names
> in?". Sure you can.

You don't need to add up the YES votes for all the groups. Any single PERSON
who votes YES for any of the names could be counted as ONE vote in favor of
the group charter or topic.  The vote taker could report the total number of
ballots received, and the number of ballots that contained at least one YES
vote. These numbers would reflect the popularity of the charter, as opposed to
the name.
--
USmail: Bob Sloane, University of Kansas Computer Center, Lawrence, KS, 66045
E-mail: sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu, sloane@ukanvax.bitnet, AT&T: (913)864-0444

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (11/15/89)

As quoted from <22222@gryphon.COM> by richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton):
+---------------
| In article <1989Nov12.162221.10189@NCoast.ORG> allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
| >most people voted FOR sci.aquaria on the merits of the "aquaria", not the "sci"
|
| This is your opinion, which is a good thing, because if you had stated that
| as a fact, I would have been duty bound to point out that you are wrong.
+---------------

Are you claiming your response as a fact?  If so, I am duty-bound to require
proof.  If your proof consists of the results of the poll you cited during the
vote, don't bother responding.

++Brandon
--

dww@stl.stc.co.uk (David Wright) (11/15/89)

In article <4470@solo10.cs.vu.nl> maart@cs.vu.nl (Maarten Litmaath) writes:
>I like the proposal, but there's another point to consider: what if there's
>a close finish of 2 (or more) groups?
>Example:
>			YES	NO
>	sci.aquaria	666	500
>	news.aquaria	665	500
>
>Shouldn't both groups be created?

This shows the weakness of MAUVE schemes - people cannot express a
preference.    The above example suggests that 665 people want any aquaria
group, and even if they have a strong preference for one or other name,
they would rather have the less preferred name than no group.  But the
effect is that the decision on which name to choose is taken by the one
voter who voted for sci.aquaria only.

With STV, everyone expresses their preference; if most people would
rather have one name than another, that name will win.   What is more,
people who prefer unpopular name A, but would also be happy with name B,
will probably have their second preference vote counted so get a say towards
B (and so on).   STV elections tend both to express people's choice
well and also give more voters one of their choices (if not their first
choice).   Of course for a net vote there would also be a NO vote, and to
'win' the vote would have to produce more 'positive' votes than NO votes
by a margin of >100.

From the voter's point of view, STV is "as simple as 1-2-3" (to quote the
Electoral Reform Society).   People could simply vote (e.g.)

1 net.this
2 no
3 net.that
4 other.thing

Note that in this case the voter wants the group to exist if called net.this,
otherwise they'd prefer that there was no group at all.   But if the group
*is* created with another name (i.e. if neither 'net.this' or NO gets enough
support), this voter would prefer the group to be called net.that.    I
think that letting NO voters still express a further opinion is quite
reasonable, and consistant with the idea of giving most voters one of their
choices, if not the first.  I doubt that more than a few would abuse this by
voting for silly choices, especially if we do not allow 'write in' votes (I
used to think these were a good idea, but have been convinced by the arguments
made against them).

Note also that in an STV ballot, your lower choice CAN NOT affect the
probability of your higher choice(s) winning; the lower choice only gets
counted if your higher choice has already been eliminated.

Having pushed the cause of STV, I'd better post a "proposal in 25 lines".
Not tonight though :-)    I'll do it soon.

The rest of this article can be skipped by people who are not interested
in the technicalities of STV; you don't need to know any of what follows
in order to vote in an STV ballot.

What we've been talking about on the net is actually a special case of STV,
in which there is only one 'candidate' to be elected, (this special case is
sometimes called the alternative vote system).

STV is especially effective in electing a committee or group of
councillors/representatives/etc.    It is effective because it gives a
result roughly proportional to the voter preference, and because most
voters will get some of their choices (not necessarily their first ones)
elected.   For example, if electing a group of 5 people, where the
candidates represent distinct views A or B, and the voters split 60/40 to
view A, a 'first past the post' vote will tend to give each A candidate 60%
of the vote (hence electing 5 A's), whereas STV will tend to elect 3 A and
2 B candidates.

The reason it is called the 'Single Transferable Vote' is that each elector
gets one vote only, but that vote can be transfered from a candidate who
cannot 'use' it to one who can.   In a typical vote for a committee, the
surplus votes of winning candidates are transferred first (normally by
transferring the unused fraction of each vote - e.g. if a candidate has got
150% of the votes required for election, their votes will be transfered at
the value of .33, as .67 has already been 'used' in electing them).  Then
if no more candidates are elected, the candidate with the lowest vote is
eliminated and their votes are transferred (at full value, as they haven't
been 'used' yet).    And so on, until the required number of candidates are
elected.   Sounds complicated to count, and it is a bit, but having
assisted at a number of counts where up to 3000 ballot papers with 40
candidates for a committee of 15 are being counted, I can assure you that
its quite possible to do -- though that did take several people all of a
long day!.

Fortunately the 'election' of a news group by STV would be much simpler to
count, as we only want one winner, and would normally only have a few names
(plus NO) to choose between.  The ballots of the name with the least first
preference votes would be transfered to the voter's next choice, repeating
until a name has enough votes to pass the 'quota', i.e. over half of the
(remaining) votes in this case.   No doubt people who know awk better than
I could write an automatic vote parser and counter, but even without it,
manually or semi-manually counting the few hundred votes that a very
successful net vote produces should be quite possible in an evening.
It would also need a bit of editing (or another awk script) to prepare a
schedule of how everyone voted; previous posters have suggested suitable
formats, so I won't repeat them here.   If required, special voting rules
could be defined to make counting easy, such as are being used now for the
[sci|comp].groupware vote.

That's enough for now; I'll post the 25 line proposal RSN!

--
Regards,    David Wright       STL, London Road, Harlow, Essex  CM17 9NA, UK
dww@stl.stc.co.uk <or> ...uunet!mcvax!ukc!stl!dww <or> PSI%234237100122::DWW

  I hate to disagree with some rational people, but I think the idea of
deciding the name before deciding to have a group is like naming the
baby before getting pregnant. When a group name is in doubt a vote
should be taken on the charter first, then a name should be chosen by
simple majority vote.
that the world is flat!" - anon

shafer@elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer) (11/16/89)

In article <1989Nov14.194231.11595@NCoast.ORG> allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
In article <1989Nov14.194231.11595@NCoast.ORG> allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:

>As quoted from <22222@gryphon.COM> by richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton):
>+---------------
>| In article <1989Nov12.162221.10189@NCoast.ORG> allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
>| >most people voted FOR sci.aquaria on the merits of the "aquaria", not the "sci"
>|
>| This is your opinion, which is a good thing, because if you had stated that
>| as a fact, I would have been duty bound to point out that you are wrong.
>+---------------

>Are you claiming your response as a fact?  If so, I am duty-bound to require
>proof.  If your proof consists of the results of the poll you cited during the
>vote, don't bother responding.

If all it takes is one example, here's proof that Richard is right.  I
didn't vote for sci.aquaria because I like fish or aquaria, I voted
for it because the namespace fanatics made me angry with their
rantings.

(I'm an ichthyophobe who cannot ever bear to think about touching a fish.
The only fish I like are in 3-1/2 oz cans, packed in water, and I'm not
even too fond of them.)
--
Mary Shafer   shafer@elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov  ames!elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov!shafer
         NASA Ames-Dryden Flight Research Facility, Edwards, CA

mesard@bbn.com (Wayne Mesard) (11/16/89)

davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>When a group name is in doubt a vote
>should be taken on the charter first, then a name should be chosen by
>simple majority vote.

That's essentially what we do now, except the name is decided (barring a
recent example) by consensus rather than by an explicit vote.

The problem is that the intent of the proponents of a group is often
poorly correlated with what actually winds up in the group.

<insert standard list of examples here.>

It's my impression that the opponents of sci.you-know-what don't think
that a technical aquarium group is a Bad Thing.  Rather, they believe
that the group we wind up with will be significantly different than the
charter.

--
void *Wayne_Mesard();         Mesard@BBN.COM         BBN, Cambridge, MA

etxtsg@solsta.ericsson.se (Thomas Grennefors TX/DKF) (11/16/89)

>   I hate to disagree with some rational people, but I think the idea of
> deciding the name before deciding to have a group is like naming the
> baby before getting pregnant. When a group name is in doubt a vote
> should be taken on the charter first, then a name should be chosen by
> simple majority vote.

I think a name controversy when voting for a new group can make people, who
like the object of the group, but dilslikes the name of the group, to wote no.

I think that the name of the group should be decided before voting on the
creation of that group. Look at the recent vote for rec.radio.shortwave. What
could have been a major dissagrement on the name, was solved before the voting,
and the group passed with 265 yes vs 10 no. Maby it should have had the same
ratio of yes/no votes even if the name vote hadn't been done, but i dont think so.

And if we decides on a 2 to 1 yes-no ratio shouldn't there be a minimum level
of yes votes that has to be reached. If ther's only the 2-1 Ratio a group can
pass with 10 yes 5 no, wich i dont think shows a big interest for that particular
group.

My proposal for a voting sheme is:

     1. Call for discussion for X days.
     2. Call for name vote if a name controversy exists else goto 4
     3. Call for discussion Y days.
     4. Call for votes for Z days, a pass with 2/3 yes votes and a
        minimum of N yes votes.

The unknown variables X,Y,Z and N should be discussed.

--
Thomas Grennefors  etxtsg@solsta.ericsson.se
Ericsson Telecom ,Karlstad, Sweden. Member of THHS krfc (tlps)

dww@stl.stc.co.uk (David Wright) (11/18/89)

#
#>This permits one of the obvious STV pathologies unless the changes from
#>the previous paragraph are incorporated: it is possible to have a vote
#>in which several hundred people vote YES, no one casts a NO vote,
#>yet no newsgroup is created because no name received more than 100
#>YES votes.
#
#I think that this is actually a place where this proposal is significantly
#better than STV.  If people are actually voting properly (ie: everything that
#they would find acceptable is voted YES), the only way that you could have
#all proposals fail is if each vote taken independantly would fail.

This shows a misunderstanding of how the STV process works.   Assuming that
a NO vote was one of the options (and with the addition of a special ">100"
rule to match our present system), a proper STV ballot would achieve exactly
what you want.   Assuming the voters were putting ALL their preferences in
order (including the NO if that was their view), then ballots for unpopular
first preferences would be transferred to the voter's second preference, and
so on, until one preference had over 50% of the (remaining) votes.   And
that's it.   Maximum voter choice - e.g. no need to not vote for your real
preference in case that was so unpopular that your vote was wasted (the
fault of the traditional voting system), nor the problem of MAUVE, that if
I vote YES to all three names (say) to ensure the group is created, I loose
the ability to influence WHICH name is chosen.

OK, OK, I'll write that 25 line proposal.....

--
Regards,        "None shall be enslaved by poverty, ignorance or conformity"