[news.groups] A helpful suggestion

chip@ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (11/16/89)

According to bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein):
>Why not something like a termcap file for groups?
>
>sci.aquaria|Aquarium Science|\
>	:mod:kw=fish,aquariums,gravel,guppies:\
>	:exp#14:dist=sci:\
>	:desc="A moderated group for the discussion of aquarium science":\
>	:mail=richard@gryphon.com:

Whatever else happens on the net, the adoption of a newsgroupcap file for
use by standard newsreaders would be a boon.

I say "Yea".

I suggest that someone -- Barry? -- volunteer to collect ideas as to what
the standard keywords should be.
--
You may redistribute this article only to those who may freely do likewise.
Chip Salzenberg at A T Engineering;  <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>

Actually, we have already implemented something like this.  It can either
be in one file, or you can put a 2 local files in any group's spool directory.
(one local, one netwide)

Right now it contains menus to pop up when a person posts to the group, and
checks for catchphrases etc.  But it can also contain keyworded info about
the group.

------

On another note, it is interesting to think what would happen if we put
an outward bound aliasing scheme into news -- probably into sendbatch,
even with simple sed scripts.

Then a group could come in with any name, where you would map it to
your local name (rec.fish?).  On the way out, it gets mapped back.

You have whatever names you want on your system, I will have what I want
on mine.  No argument.  No parking in the red zone.

tale@pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (11/19/89)

In <49460@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
Brad> On another note, it is interesting to think what would happen if we put
Brad> an outward bound aliasing scheme into news -- probably into sendbatch,
Brad> even with simple sed scripts.

Brad> Then a group could come in with any name, where you would map it to
Brad> your local name (rec.fish?).  On the way out, it gets mapped back.

We already do have this.  For example, when I had articles come in for
alt.sca recently my active file said to refile them to rec.org.sca.
They were, though the Newsgroups: header still said alt.sca both on
site and to the rest of the world.

Dave
--
 (setq mail '("tale@pawl.rpi.edu" "tale@ai.mit.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))