[news.groups] Discussion: soc.culture.iranian

HEMMAT@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Mehrzad Hemmat) (11/17/89)

In an article,
writes:
>  Hi,
>  - this is NOT a vote on the proposed newsgroup, just a few naive
>  comments of mine. Firstly, I think the voting period is far too long;
>  it should be at least 21 days according to the generally accepted
>  rules (posted at regular intervals to news.announce.newusers by spaf).
>  However, the 7-week period you have chosen seems to be far too long.
>  It is my experience (from collecting votes for soc.culture.nordic and,
>  currently, rec.sport.soccer) that people tend to lose interest in the
>  vote after a couple of weeks. Moreover, by the end of the year it is
>  quite conceivable that a lot people may be away on holiday.
That is why the period is extended, so those on vacation would have a
chance to vote.

>  Secondly, I am well aware of the fact that there has been a call for
>  discussion of a soc.culture.iranian newsgroup in soc.culture.misc some
>  time ago. Your call for votes was issued quite a while after the
>  discussion died out; this may result in a lack of interest.
I am glad that you have at least noticed the discussions. Many people
were complaining about taking votes without a discussion period.

>  Thirdly, I haven't seen your call for votes in news.groups or
>  news.announce.newsgroups, two newsgroups to which all calls for votes,
>  voting results (and calls for discussion) must be submitted. This,
>  however, may be due to my not noticing it.
It is there now.

>  Finally, let me say that I think soc.culture.iranian would be a good
>  idea. I would like to hear your response to my above comments.
I appreciate your thoughts, but I'd rather let others get involve
in this discussion.

>  Best regards
>  Hans

M. Hemmat

Is Iranian culture that much different from that of neighboring Islamic
states? If not, why not start with a soc.culture.mideast or
soc.culture.islam? If you are going to allow Iraqi or Saudi contributions
anyway, this would be an obvious change. If not, why not?
--
`-_-' Peter da Silva <peter@ficc.uu.net> <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.
 'U`  --------------  +1 713 274 5180.

ralph@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (Ralph Brandi) (11/20/89)

In article <7039@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Is Iranian culture that much different from that of neighboring Islamic
>states?

Actually, yes it is.  Ethnically, the Islamic states to the west are
of Arab origin; Iranians, however, are Persians, not Arabs.
--
Ralph Brandi     ralph@lzfme.att.com     att!lzfme!ralph

Work flows toward the competent until they are submerged.