[news.groups] Images Group

lyndon@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) (11/10/89)

In article <2728@uceng.UC.EDU> mfinegan@uceng.UC.EDU (michael k finegan) writes:
>A group for image disbursement should really be a group that documents where
>images can be ftp'ed from. If you don't have ftp, then arrangements should be
>made for individual uucp (or whatever) connections to some hybrid site. E-mail
>uses a lot of disk space, and images will make the matter worse!

Show me *ONE* site that provides uucp access to images. One of the
main reasons for proposing the images group was that it would allow
sites without an Internet connection to access things like the
Voyager images. I've sent numerous queries to people about getting
these images via uucp. No way. I ended up getting them through email
from someone at an Internet connected site.
--
Lyndon Nerenberg  VE6BBM / Computing Services / Athabasca University
  {alberta,decwrl,lsuc}!atha!lyndon || lyndon@cs.AthabascaU.CA

                  The Connector is the Notwork.

rae%alias@csri.utoronto.ca (Reid Ellis) (11/12/89)

billd@fps.com (Bill Davidson) writes:
|Unfortunately, there are a *LOT* of sites that are still on 1200 and
|2400 baud feeds (albiet mostly not full feeds).  Images are inherently
|bandwidth expensive (to say nothing of my disk space).

Sites with insufficient bandwidth don't have to subscribe to the group.  As
you say, a "full 1200 baud feed" is an oxymoron.

					Reid
---
Reid Ellis, 264 Broadway Avenue, Toronto ON, M4P 1V9, Canada
rae%alias@csri.utoronto.ca                   +1 416 487 1383

chip@ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (11/12/89)

According to lyndon@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg):
>Show me *ONE* site that provides uucp access to images. [...]
>I've sent numerous queries to people about getting these images via uucp.
>No way.

Okay.  Let me see if I've got this straight.

1.  Images are big.
2.  UUCP sites don't distributed images via anonymous UUCP, evidently
    because they're too big.
3.  Let's make a newsgroup so we can use those sites for Usenet transport!

Down with bandwidth theft!  Vote NO to comp.graphics.images.
--
You may redistribute this article only to those who may freely do likewise.
Chip Salzenberg at A T Engineering;  <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (11/13/89)

As quoted from <613@alias.UUCP> by rae%alias@csri.utoronto.ca (Reid Ellis):
| you say, a "full 1200 baud feed" is an oxymoron.
+---------------

I hate to tell you folks, but ncoast gets a full feed... and occasionally has
to drop back to 1200 baud to get it.  The rest of the time, we get it at 2400
baud.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery    allbery@NCoast.ORG, BALLBERY (MCI Mail), ALLBERY (Delphi)
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu bsa@telotech.uucp

ewiles@netxdev.DHL.COM (Edwin Wiles) (11/14/89)

In article <1228@atha.AthabascaU.CA> lyndon@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:
>Show me *ONE* site that provides uucp access to images. One of the
>main reasons for proposing the images group was that it would allow
>sites without an Internet connection to access things like the
>Voyager images. I've sent numerous queries to people about getting
>these images via uucp. No way. I ended up getting them through email
>from someone at an Internet connected site.

As a different poster has said, the reason most sites don't want images
transfered over news is that each image uses up a LOT of bandwith and disk
space for a minimal return.  This is sad since I have an Amiga and would dearly
love cheap access to various images (I could get them from CI$, but would
prefer not to pay that much), but I cannot see forcing others to pay the large
costs images would generate.

The various special purpose binaries and sources groups do not fall under this
ban:  Although a given site may need only the 'ibm.pc' groups, they exchange
courtesy with other sites (for providing the 'ibm.pc' groups in the first
place) by also carrying all the other groups.

Show me the potential for "mutual courtesy" with respect to the proposed images
group, and I may change my opinion.

And to answer your "Show me" question: Site "uunet" carries images that are
available via uucp.  I don't know if they have the voyager stuff, but I do know
that they have 'facesaver' images.  (Digitized images of people who showed up
at some *nix conference, or other.)  The problem with this is that you have
to be a "uunet" customer before you can use uucp.
"Who?... Me?... WHAT opinions?!?"		| Edwin Wiles
Schedule: (n.) An ever changing nightmare.	| NetExpress Comm., Inc.
..!uunet!netxcom!ewiles (I'm certain!)		| 1953 Gallows Rd. Suite 300
OR ewiles@iad-nxe.global-mis.DHL.COM (I think!)	| Vienna, VA 22182

rick@ofa123.FIDONET.ORG (Rick Ellis) (11/18/89)

In a message of <Nov 17 01:01>, Brandon S. Allbery (1:102/161) writes:

 >I hate to tell you folks, but ncoast gets a full feed... and occasionally
 >has to drop back to 1200 baud to get it.  The rest of the time, we get it at
 >2400 baud.

How long does it usually take at 2400?

--
Rick Ellis
...!{dhw68k,conexch}!ofa123!rick                             rick@ofa123.FIDONET.ORG

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (11/20/89)

As quoted from <65.25647EF1@ofa123.FIDONET.ORG> by rick@ofa123.FIDONET.ORG (Rick Ellis):
+---------------
| In a message of <Nov 17 01:01>, Brandon S. Allbery (1:102/161) writes:
+-----------------------------------------------------^^^^^^^^^ ?

Someone's Fido gateway software is confused.  NCoast.ORG is not on the
Fidonet, and if it were it'd be in Net 157.  I suspect that this field should
not be filled in in the case of a message gatewayed from the Usenet.

+---------------
| >I hate to tell you folks, but ncoast gets a full feed... and occasionally
| >has to drop back to 1200 baud to get it.  The rest of the time, we get it at
| >2400 baud.
|
| How long does it usually take at 2400?
+---------------

If someone will give me a ballpark figure for the size I should use, I'll tell
you.  I can break it down in a number of different ways, but you'd have to
tell me what measure to use.

So far today (12:00 AM - 8:28 PM EST), we have received 2.4MB of news in
compressed batches from our primary newsfeed.  Estimating 70% compression
(probably conservative), this translates to about 3.5MB.  But a daily
measurement isn't very accurate; a weekly one would do a better job because of
the peculiarities of the connections from ncoast to the NNTP "backbone"
through various sites; and this ignores news arriving from other sites (e.g.
weekly calls from hoptoad and fmsrl7 produce many duplicate older articles,
but their current articles are more current than hal.cwru.edu's are).

++Brandon
--

In article <65.25647EF1@ofa123.FIDONET.ORG> rick@ofa123.FIDONET.ORG (Rick Ellis) writes:

| How long does it usually take at 2400?

  I'm sure Brandon will answer for himself, but I can provide some stats
from a few sites I run or feed. Average xfer rate is about 210 bytes/sec
at 2400. This is a quarter MB/hr. Figuring a 60% increase in size for
decompression, you can approximate the effective transfer rate at
1.2MB/hr. Actual observed xfer is very close to this, but varies by
content to values of 800KB-1400KB (per hour).

  The one site I feed at 1200 is getting just about half of this rate,
so it appears fairly linear. Note that data content and system load (and
uucp tuning) have a lot to do with this. This is representative of
machines doing the xfer at a light load time, over local connecrtions
and/or MNP modems, with uucico set for seven buffers on all machines.

  I hope this is useful.
that the world is flat!" - anon