[news.groups] DISCUSSION

dwj@acd4.UUCP ( Dan Johnson ) (11/13/89)

In article <17633.255a9307@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>In article <8209@thor.acc.stolaf.edu>, pearsonm@agnes.uucp (Matthew E Pearson)
> writes:
>> [...]
>> WOULD ANyONE BE INTERESTED IN A REC.GAMES.ROLEPLAYING NEWSGROUP?
>> ANYONE INTERESTED IN DISCUSSING IT?
>
>Sounds like a good idea.  How about calling it rec.games.frp for fantasy role
>playing? Wait a minute that sounds familiar. Yes, I just checked and this
>group already exists, at least it does here.  Discussions of everything from
>ADND to GURPS to Villians and Vigilantes.  Check it out.

Maybe we should consider *changing* the name of rec.games.frp to
rec.games.role-playing or rec.games.rpg.
--
Daniel W. Johnson              Applied Computing Devices, Inc.
UUCP: ...!uunet!acd4!dwj       Earth: 39 25 02 N / 87 19 55 W (approx.)

sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (11/14/89)

In article <1989Nov12.201312.19380@acd4.UUCP>,
 dwj@acd4.UUCP ( Dan Johnson ) writes:
> Maybe we should consider *changing* the name of rec.games.frp to
> rec.games.role-playing or rec.games.rpg.

Goodness, is it that time of year already?  Seems like we just had the last go
around about this yesterday. :-) Seriously, this has been discussed before and
the idea discarded, for several good reasons.  The main reason I see is that
there just isn't any mechanism for renaming a group.  The best you can do is
delete the old group and create a new one.  Now, many news admins on the net
let any newgroup messages work automatically, but ignore rmgroup messages. In
fact, I think that is the default procedure for most news software.  If we
tried to rmgroup/newgroup rec.games.frp to rec.games.rpg we would end up with
two groups at many sites.  While renaming is a good idea (IMHO) it just isn't
technically feasable.
--
USmail: Bob Sloane, University of Kansas Computer Center, Lawrence, KS, 66045
E-mail: sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu, sloane@ukanvax.bitnet, AT&T: (913)864-0444

mesard@bbn.com (Wayne Mesard) (11/15/89)

sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>If we
>tried to rmgroup/newgroup rec.games.frp to rec.games.rpg we would end up with
>two groups at many sites.  While renaming is a good idea (IMHO) it just isn't
>technically feasable.

This isn't a technical problem at all.  You described the technique
quite clearly in your article.  I agree that there would be a problem at
some sites.  The solution, however, is to make renaming more
commonplace.  Letting the namespace get more and more polluted until a
Great Renaming is necessary won't help anyone, since that process will
be much more time-consuming and political than fixing groups on an ad
hoc basis.

So rec.games.rpg, and comp.editors.emacs get created.  Messages get
posted to news.admin and the old groups warning that they're obsolete
and a month later the old groups get rmgrouped.  A lot of sites have
bogus groups and it hasn't caused the IDoU.

--
void *Wayne_Mesard();         Mesard@BBN.COM         BBN, Cambridge, MA

jbeard@ntvax.uucp (Jeff Beardsley) (11/20/89)

YES - Changing then name from rec.games.frp to rec.games.rpg would
be a good idea, a large part of the discussion in frp is not your typical
"fantasy" anymore, it has alot to do with science fiction role playing
too, especially with the onslaught of shadowrun discussion in the group

--
-------- Jeff Beardsley at UNT ----------- <jbeard@dept.csci.unt.edu> --------
"Just Remember -- Wherever you go, there you are" - Buckaroo Banzai