[news.groups] Call for discussion: Rec.video.software

sullivan@aqdata.uucp (Michael T. Sullivan) (11/22/89)

I see nowhere in the article why rec.video can't be used for software
as well as hardware.  What I mean is that nothing in the article said
that there were a lot of postings about software and the hardware
people were getting tired of it.  Things like that.  Since we don't
get rec.video there very well may be a good reason for rec.video.software
but I can't see a good reason from the posting.
--
Michael Sullivan          uunet!jarthur.uucp!aqdata!sullivan
aQdata, Inc.

kanefsky@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Steve Kanefsky) (11/22/89)

In article <1989Nov21.170126.7027@aqdata.uucp> sullivan@aqdata.uucp (Michael T. Sullivan) writes:
>I see nowhere in the article why rec.video can't be used for software
>as well as hardware.  What I mean is that nothing in the article said
>that there were a lot of postings about software and the hardware
>people were getting tired of it.  Things like that.  Since we don't
>get rec.video there very well may be a good reason for rec.video.software
>but I can't see a good reason from the posting.

I don't see any reason why the only criterion for group creation should
be that some other group is overflowing.  I believe in this case that the
people who should be holding the discussion are scattered around in different
groups (especially rec.video and rec.arts.movies).  Sometimes, there is a
lot of interest in a subject but just no group that is appropriate, so
there isn't much discussion.  Granted, some discussion has occurred in
rec.video, but rec.video has become much more of a forum for hardware
discussion, and I'm sure many people don't post software questions there
because they feel it is inappropriate.

Anyway, the number of postings in rec.video *is* growing, and there is
definately a lot of interest in splitting it somehow, it's just a matter
of which way it is split up.  Some people have suggested splitting along
format lines (e.g. a separate laserdisc newsgroup) or splitting the
camcorder traffic away from the rest, but I feel that this wouldn't be
as workable as splitting the software traffic for the following reasons:

   * The various hardware divisions all have a lot to gain from each
     other, and many of the questions are similar whether you're talking
     about VHS, Beta, Laserdisc, camcorders, or whatever.

   * Most if not all of the people to whom one might wish to address a
     hardware question are already reading rec.video, while many people
     to whom one might wish to address a software question don't read
     rec.video.

   * Hardware distinctions are fuzzier than the hardware/software
     distinction.  Formats are always evolving and changing and the
     question of which group would be appropriate for a given topic
     becomes hard to answer.

Clearly, home video isn't going to go away, and thus video software isn't
either. If one looks at the precedent set by rec.music.cd, one sees that a
group like this could work for video too.

--
Steve Kanefsky
kanefsky@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu